Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Round One

john-marston-vs-james-bond.png

It's a battle of two expert marksman as the man from the wild west takes on one of England's top agents. John Marston has killed many a man in his travels, but James Bond is no ordinary man. It's a battle of class vs. crass in this first round matchup!

Voting closes five days after the poll opens.

FIGHT!

Marston takes this highly competitive battle for one reason. He has something to fight for.

Marston has always fought for something. Be it trying to impress his gang leader and father figure Dutch, providing for his family, rescuing his family, or battling to the death to allow his family to escape.

What does James Bond fight for? Pussy?

Plus how many times has Bond been captured in his career? 90% of the time he only escapes because the villain toys with him to long or some form of backup comes/sexy lady comes in to save him, and there is no backup in this tournament.

John Marston.

This is James Bond's for the taking. Considering how much I loved Red Dead Redmption and the character of John Marston (coincedentally, never cared for Jack), that's a hard thing for me to say.

James Bond is superior to John Marston in hand-to-hand combat, weaponry and intellect. I think that's something we can all agree on. But crucially - crucially - Bond takes this because of his mental state. Yazloz, you make an interesting point about John Marston always having something to fight for. But cast your mind back to RDR. Marston fought not because it was his job, but because if he didn't, he would never see his wife and son again. Marston was running on pure emotion. But this is a fighting tounament. Ain't no family memebers in danger here. Does Marston have the fire in his belly? I would say no.

On the other hand, fighting, killing, etc - it's all part of the job for Bond (a job he does for Queen and country, mind you). He's rarely emotional when working, and he's still damn good at it. The tournament atmosphere benefits the level-headed Bond.

I would've loved to see Marston go a bit further, but he ain't taking out Britain's finest here. Bond takes this. And then he'll probably have sex with Abigail afterwards.

This is James Bond's for the taking. Considering how much I loved Red Dead Redmption and the character of John Marston (coincedentally, never cared for Jack), that's a hard thing for me to say.

James Bond is superior to John Marston in hand-to-hand combat, weaponry and intellect. I think that's something we can all agree on. But crucially - crucially - Bond takes this because of his mental state. Yazloz, you make an interesting point about John Marston always having something to fight for. But cast your mind back to RDR. Marston fought not because it was his job, but because if he didn't, he would never see his wife and son again. Marston was running on pure emotion. But this is a fighting tounament. Ain't no family memebers in danger here. Does Marston have the fire in his belly? I would say no.

On the other hand, fighting, killing, etc - it's all part of the job for Bond (a job he does for Queen and country, mind you). He's rarely emotional when working, and he's still damn good at it. The tournament atmosphere benefits the level-headed Bond.

I would've loved to see Marston go a bit further, but he ain't taking out Britain's finest here. Bond takes this. And then he'll probably have sex with Abigail afterwards.

I take exception to this. At least once per movie, Bond ends up stupidly rushing into a things motivated by revenge or love of a woman. He is always emotional on the job.

In fact, I would say your argument motivates me to vote for Marston instead of Bond. Bond would go to parties and womanize when he isn't on the job. Marston, on the other hand, has been a killer for most of his life. It's all he knows. The man was left for dead multiple times, but still went on to kill his former gangmates. Bond's gadgets will make this battle longer than it should be, but Marston gets my vote.

Bond is the type of guy who would've walked into the Old West and walked out alive. How did Marston do on that front?

Bond is reckless and dangerous and he always gets the girl but he also always gets the job done, hell or high water Bond is there and he does what he sets out to do.

Bond is here to win the Tournament while Marston is already a long forgotten relic of an age gone by.

John Marston, we hardly knew ye.

Bond wins.

James Bond barely ever misses a shot. James Bond never loses a hand-to-hand fight. James Bond has never died. James Bond has a plethora of gadgets, John Marston has a horse and a shotgun. James Bond has never died. James Bond, James Bond, James Bond.

James Bond wins.

James Bond.

John Marston is a more western, silent killer type of Christian.

James Bond is a less cool Damien Sandow (w/ a gun).

Results:
Marston has been wronged & has more to fight for. But killing a bad guy ALONG with staying classy & getting the girl is all in a days work for Bond. Marston is a better killer but Bond is a better fighter. With all of Bond's wit, class, & his ability to take advantage of ANY weakness or opening makes him not only the perfect spy but the perfect opponenet, a little TOO perfect for John Marston too handle.

Bond may have superior weaponry but Marston has this thing called Dead Eye Aim. When he uses it time slows way down and he is invincible when he enters that state, and then he quickly fires off up to six consecutive shots, none of which miss. Marston goes into Dead Eye from the start, puts six in Bond's temple and its game over.

John Marston only has dead-eye aim after having killed an enemy already. In this case, unless Q tags along and gets shot, Bond has more than enough time to drink a vodka-martini, bang Eva Green, save the world twice, backflip through a ring of fire, take a photo with Jesus and *********e to the sound of eggs being scrambled before calmly disposing of Marston.

If this fight comes down to hand to hand combat it's Bonds all the way. However Marston is a much better Shot then bond ever was and im sure Bond will get distracted by a women cause he always does. So i'm giving a slight edge to Marston cause he only has one women.

If this fight comes down to hand to hand combat it's Bonds all the way. However Marston is a much better Shot then bond ever was and im sure Bond will get distracted by a women cause he always does. So i'm giving a slight edge to Marston cause he only has one women.

Sorry there's no outside interference in this, so Bond wont be able to be distracted by a woman. Anyway, James isn't distracted by them - he always saves the world AND gets the girl.

Another point that somebody raised was that Bond is motivated by revenge, so his emotional state would be a weakness for him. However, this has only really been true in the Daniel Craig films, which in time-frame of Bond's life is at the start of his 007 career. In the preceding films, Bond is always a professional, who gets the job done for Queen & Country whatever happens. Hell, his wife even gets killed in 'On her Majesty's secret service' and he still continues on being a pure bad-ass. Women die all the time around Bond, but that doesn't stop him from always winning.

Also an issue to consider is that Bond has always survived against the odds. Recently somebody calculated that the odds of James Bond being missed by all the bullets fired at him in the films is something like 1 in 10000000000 ( That figure is just an approximation, but it shows the overwhelming odds against Bond surviving). This cannot just be ignored or excused by saying that Bond gets lucky or the baddies can't shoot - Bond has managed to avoid all this danger so must have a chance of doing so in this battle.

Oh and he's British. We always win. ;)

Also an issue to consider is that Bond has always survived against the odds. Recently somebody calculated that the odds of James Bond being missed by all the bullets fired at him in the films is something like 1 in 10000000000 ( That figure is just an approximation, but it shows the overwhelming odds against Bond surviving). This cannot just be ignored or excused by saying that Bond gets lucky or the baddies can't shoot - Bond has managed to avoid all this danger so must have a chance of doing so in this battle.

Bond has never faced a marksman with the skill of Marston. Sure, he can dodge bullets from Random Henchman 1-204143791246, but Marston has his Dead Eye ability that makes time seem to slow down. Bond has gotten lucky for over 40 years now, but Marston has the skill to end that very, very quickly.

Sorry there's no outside interference in this, so Bond wont be able to be distracted by a woman. Anyway, James isn't distracted by them - he always saves the world AND gets the girl.

Another point that somebody raised was that Bond is motivated by revenge, so his emotional state would be a weakness for him. However, this has only really been true in the Daniel Craig films, which in time-frame of Bond's life is at the start of his 007 career. In the preceding films, Bond is always a professional, who gets the job done for Queen & Country whatever happens. Hell, his wife even gets killed in 'On her Majesty's secret service' and he still continues on being a pure bad-ass. Women die all the time around Bond, but that doesn't stop him from always winning.

Oh and he's British. We always win. ;)

That's a BS statistic. Someone can calculate the odds of a hero in a movie surviving impossible odds. You know who else can survive impossible odds....let me think...oh yeah every hero ever.

As Thriller said Bond is dodging fire from Henchman #1 or Scary Guy #3 or Gut with Rifle. It's John Marston, the master of Dead Eye Aim.

And Brits don't always win....1776 ;)

Although Rohan brings up some great points (like fuck) Mr Marston wins this guys. I'll admit that in terms of character, this match-up is fantastic, but Marston still wins this for me, almost comfortably. Just compare these fellas; Marston, a relentless, merciless, dedicated man's man. Bond; a constantly distracted, reckless, impulsive, sex-addicted government tool. Marston shoots Bond in the eye before Bond can put his stop doing his make-up in this whitewash. Just another day in the office for John Marston guys, if his office, was a desolate, barren, bandit-ridden near wasteland. What's James Bond's office? Oh, that's right, Buckingham Palace.

Although I'm Welsh and 'twas a rather silly comment to begin with, Yazloz just fucking owned Matt1231230.

James Bond has the superior weaponry, intellect, and if it comes down to it, hand-to-hand combat. Don't get me wrong, I like Marston, but Bond will be one step ahead of him.
Vote: Bond. James Bond.

Weaponry, intellect and hand-to-hand combat don't help prevent you from getting shot in the head and/or heart by a superior marksman.

Seriously, I like Bond, but all he's done are defeat nameless henchmen and villains that leave him planet-sized holes to escape through. Marston is a killer. That's what he was put on this Earth to do, and that's what he will do to Bond.

All this talk about Marston being a killer and an accurate shot seems to be glossing over the fact that Bond has proven himself in numerous incaranation to be ruthless and cold-blooded.

Connery killed an unarmed Professor Dent in Dr No; Roger Moore's Bond disposed of Scaramanga with one shot; Brosnan's Bond showed himself to be capable of utter ruthlessness such as his execution of the defenceless Dr Faufman and Elektra King and the latest incarnation has shown himself having no issue with either killing or single shot kills.

In all likelihood, it will come down to a shootout duel and I think Bond, as the trained professional, is capable of outdrawing Marston.

Барбоса;4114425 said:
All this talk about Marston being a killer and an accurate shot seems to be glossing over the fact that Bond has proven himself in numerous incaranation to be ruthless and cold-blooded.

Connery killed an unarmed Professor Dent in Dr No; Roger Moore's Bond disposed of Scaramanga with one shot; Brosnan's Bond showed himself to be capable of utter ruthlessness such as his execution of the defenceless Dr Faufman and Elektra King and the latest incarnation has shown himself having no issue with either killing or single shot kills.

In all likelihood, it will come down to a shootout duel and I think Bond, as the trained professional, is capable of outdrawing Marston.

The thing people seem to be ignoring is Marston's Dead Eye Aim. This is from his biography

Dead Eye Targeting-Perhaps Marston's best asset. Marston is so skilled with weapons that when he takes aim, time seems to slow down. This allows him to pick his targets carefully and then fire in quick succession.

It should also be noted that he is invincible when he enters this. If it comes down to a gun duel Marston wins, Bond can't counter his Dead Eye Aim.

The thing people seem to be ignoring is Marston's Dead Eye Aim. This is from his biography

It should also be noted that he is invincible when he enters this. If it comes down to a gun duel Marston wins, Bond can't counter his Dead Eye Aim.

But before entering Dead Eye mode, Marston still has to draw his gun and if he is using his trusty rifle, Bond will be more than quick enough to draw his PPK.

James Bond has never been shot. Marston has. Just because it's a film doesn't mean Bond surviving isn't relevant. The character has managed to survive against the odds, so obviously he must be doing something right. In this scenario we are imagining both these characters are real, so in realistic, Bond surviving everything is a pretty big deal.

Also, Bond has his pick of any fancy car loaded with gadgets from Q. Bond can kill Marston without leaving the safety of his vehicle.

Барбоса;4114763 said:
But before entering Dead Eye mode, Marston still has to draw his gun and if he is using his trusty rifle, Bond will be more than quick enough to draw his PPK.

I'm not going to argue that Bond isn't good at what he does, but in a straight up one on one duel Marston has Bond beat. Marston's story takes place in the Wild West at the turn of the century, a time famous for quick draw experts.

James Bond has never been shot. Marston has. Just because it's a film doesn't mean Bond surviving isn't relevant. The character has managed to survive against the odds, so obviously he must be doing something right. In this scenario we are imagining both these characters are real, so in realistic, Bond surviving everything is a pretty big deal.

Also, Bond has his pick of any fancy car loaded with gadgets from Q. Bond can kill Marston without leaving the safety of his vehicle.

Go back and read what I posted earlier. Bond has never faced anyone even remotely close to the skill level of Marston. Marston will not miss.

You can bring up the cars, but he has to get to the car, if it's there. Marston will have him lying in a pool of blood before you can say "Aston Martin."

I was on the fence, but slightly leaning toward Bond when this match started, then I read teh arguments by Thriller, & Yaz, started leaning more toward Marston, then I read this asinine argument...

¡Roján!;4112639 said:
John Marston only has dead-eye aim after having killed an enemy already. In this case, unless Q tags along and gets shot, Bond has more than enough time to drink a vodka-martini, bang Eva Green, save the world twice, backflip through a ring of fire, take a photo with Jesus and *********e to the sound of eggs being scrambled before calmly disposing of Marston.

I love you Ro, but c'mon man, that's such a ridiculous exaggeration. All you manged to do with that was cement my vote for Marston. Marston even without Dead Eye is a great shot, to suggest Bond is going to have a drink, fuck some bitch, save the world, & yadda yadda yadda, is just silly.

Marston would be unloading rounds on him there is no tomorrow. Sadly Bond will not get a chance to die another day, as Marston, an man who does need a license to kill, will be standing over Bonds rotting corpse with a view to kill. Marston rides into the next round.

Go back and read what I posted earlier. Bond has never faced anyone even remotely close to the skill level of Marston. Marston will not miss.

I would suggest that Scaramanga, as one of the world's greatest assassins, would count as having a particularly high skill level.

I would also suggest that in overlooking Bond's gadgets and relying on Marston's Dead Eye Aim, people are missing out on ways that Bond can kill/incapacitate Marston before he can even draw his weapon to take aim such as the Wrist Dart Gun he used to incapacitate Hugo Drax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back