Round 1; COD4(23) v Chrono Trigger (106)

Discussion in 'Video Games Tournament (2009)' started by Lee, Jul 1, 2009.

?

?

1. COD4

2. Chrono Trigger

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

v

[​IMG]

2. Fizzy

Fizzy Mid-Card Championship Winner

Jesus I click the game tourny, the minute you put up this. Chrono Trigger is a very good game. Very underrated, and not many people know about it. It follows Final Fantasy battle system, and it's gameplay wasn't bad. However it's adversary is COD4. Many regard this as the best game in a great series, and I will not argue. It is one of the best, and most played online FPS games I own. The story mode also isn't bad for an FPS. Most FPS story modes are a disappointment, but I don't feel that way about this. In a tough choice I have to choose COD4.

3. Lee

I really don't like COD, I understand its appeal and all that jazz, but give me a full blown story with depth and characters you love. It's for that reason I'm voting....Chrono trigger

4. Muffin Top Merkley

Muffin Top Merkley Be a man!

COD4: Modern Warfare!

Not only is it the best game in the COD series, I belive its the best First Person shooter period!

5. Ty Burna

Ty Burna Getting Noticed By Management

Meh COD4 is just another run of the mill war style FPS. Meanwhile you have Chrono Trigger, arguably one of the most underrated RPG of all time. Chrono Trigger had the rare feature of multiple endings based on how you react to certain events, or avoid certain events all together. This feature was ahead of its time and Chrono Trigger also allowed you to string special attacks together with 2 or more party members, increasing the strategic element of a battle.

Chrono Trigger without a doubt gets my vote here.

6. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

Chrono Trigger. Tough choice, but had to go with Chrono.

Call of Duty 4 is a great game though. They finally updated the setting to modern warfare and gave the game a real online mode, both of which upgraded the game highly. Call of Duty has always been a bit overrated though, there are several better FPS out there (Hello! Goldeneye! Halo!).

Chrono was proof though that Square could do more then just Final Fantasy games. I wish the series had gotten more love, because Trigger was truly great. One of the best RPG of it's time, and a game that I can vouch for in saying it still holds up very well. Whereas I was tired of COD4 within a month or so.

7. Leeds Guy

Leeds Guy Retired Former WZCW EurAsian Champ

COD is way overrated but to say its one of the best FPS is a fair statement however it is not the best. Halo is much better Goldeneye is probably the greatest and Ghost Recon is up there as well. Chrono Trigger is a mint game, reminds me of Final Fantasy and Wild Arms which can only be a good thing. Square seem to be able to create great games at will and this is a great game which is why it gets my vote allthough that might because I'm a sucker for RPGS.

8. GSM

GSM YOU RULED THE WORLD LONG ENOUGH !!!

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is one of the best games I´ve ever played.

The plot in the singleplayer mode is awesome and told in a very fast, action oriented pace which only comforts the display of very realistic fights and battles.

The graphics are still really great and the AI might not be the best ever but in veteran the enemys can give you a run for your money.

Also, a huge selection of awesome weapons and very creative leveldesign.

Now the most important aspect of this game :

The Multiplayer-mode

The online gaming is the best part of this game, it´s like the singleplayer campaign very fast paced but it doesn´t stop anyone from developing a unique strategy.

The maps are great and every game mode works fine on them, there´s no map where you only can play one mode without getting frustrated.

There are also tons of upgrades and awesome perks to unlock over time which motivates the player to keep on playing without "forcing" anything unnecessary on the player.

Overall COD 4 may not be groundbreaking in terms of developing new types of games but it has to be considered as one of the best shooter games of all time.

And It´s without a doubt the best online experience out there.

9. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Gotta go with Call of Duty. I was a late bloomer to this whole Modern Warfare crazy, seeing as I only played the game a month ago, but I fell in love with it, and between that and Resident Evil 5, nothing else goes in my 360. The story is pretty damn fun, and I don't understand the criticism it receives. And then you get to the gem of the game, the Multi Player. Simply put, this is the greatest Multi Player game ever made. The ability to jump in and out of games without penalty or waiting for an hour (I'm looking at you Halo 3) makes this game a ton of fun.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion

COD4 is the only real game I've played out the series but I do thoroughly enjoy it. I loved the first player action and I loved the multi-player, partly because I was unbeaten against my housemates! ;) But one element that I love about COD and it is kiddy of me to say but NAZI ZOMBIES!!!!! That level is legendary!

11. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I know that many people will consider this ignorance on my part but I have never heard of Chrono Trigger. I realise that it is probably a great game because as I write this it is currently winning. However, I honestly cannot see past Call of Duty 4 in this round. I mean come on. It is just an absolutely amazing game from start to finish. The multiplayer is just sensational and there is not another game since that I have played as much as COD4 multiplayer. The stoyline is solid and the graphics are sublime. The ranking system has changed the way that multiplayer games are viewed. I know that it was around before COD4 but now it is in almost every game that is multiplayer based. I think that it is one of the highest selling games across all consoles and it deserves to be fully. As I say though, I have never heard of Chrono Trigger and for this reason amongst others I have voted for COD4. You should too.

12. Lee

Chrono trigger only got a north american release on original release, now it is available in the UK via the medium of DS. If you're voting FFX you need to check out chrono trigger, that game is immense, wiki it, you tube it...or wait until my epic chrono trigger related post!

13. Lee

[youtube]hOmgIZZuI68[/youtube]

[​IMG]

Published by; Square
    Released; 1995
    Formats; SNES, PSX, DS

This starts off as your typical RPG game, you're a hero there's a fair, and it's the middle ages. Cue some accident where you travel through time. Think Oracle of Ages but with quite a good array of times and worlds in that.

Add a host of colourful chracters who you really grow to know mixed in with the Usual Square standard of music.

The game got an aggregate score of;
    95.1% with Game Rankings and 97% with Game stats.

This game is not only a must for any RPGer, but a must for any gamer.​

14. Spunky

Spunky Lovable degenerate.

Call of Duty 4: Modern warfare: Is the best online first person shooter, EVER to grace the home console. It truly has everything you could want. Great maps of varying sizes, Great guns with a wide varity in different classes, Great graphics, Great character models, Great damage systems.

The campaign mode, While a little short, Was all kinds of awesome. The campaign is divided into two: one shows the grim, and seemingly familiar tale of a USMC soldier, Sergeant Paul Jackson, as he struggles through Middle Eastern areas. The other captures the brave heroics of British SAS operative 'Soap' MacTavish as he encounters numerous terrains from mid-sea recoveries to assassination attempts in Russia. THe ending was great, With the slow motion pistol, And had a brilliant bonus level called Mile high club.

15. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

Meh, COD4 is really overrated IMO. It was decent, but I don't think it's as good as Halo or Goldeneye.

I've heard of Chrono Trigger but never played it. From what Lee posted and what I've read on line it's a really good game and seems really interesting. It's getting my vote.

16. Dave

Dave Administrator

I thought it was better than Halo and that is coming from a hardened Xbox fan-boy. COD4 changed gaming. Like it or not, it is the best FPS on any console right now and so it shoud be. It was not over-rated either in my opinion. Gamespot gave it 9/10. IGN.com gave it 9.4/10 and official xbox magazine gave it 10/10. The game was not over-rated it was just that damn good.

Your going to give your vote to a game that you have never played as opposed to one you have? It might look like a good game, which it does, but why should it get your vote?

17. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

Huh? Call of Duty "changed gaming"? How? It wasn't even close to being the first modern war game. How exactly did it "change gaming"? It's a run-of-the-mill FPS. A damn good FPS, but nothing groundbreaking or revolutionary.

As someone who HAS played both games, Chrono blows COD4 out of the water. Sorry, but RPG > FPS in every possible way imaginable, and thats coming from someone who is a HUGE FPS fan (I plan on backing Goldeneye for as long as possible).

18. Dave

Dave Administrator

Sorry, I should have elaborated on what I meant by "changed gaming". What I meant was that in terms of bringing in new gamers to a console, I have never seena nything like it. Honestly, I used to get ridiculed endlessly for still playing computer games in my last 2 years of high school. And then COD4 came out ans suddenly everyone had an Xbox and COD4. COD4 brought a whole new world of gamers to console gaming and it is because the wuality of the game is so good. The multiplayer is just out of this world and I think it for this reason that it is revolutionary.

I was very young when I played Goldeneye. It was enjoyable and I played it a lot. It is nothing, however, compared to the ammount of time I played COD4 for. So far I have played COD4 for around 37 days. No other game, with maybe the exception of Football manager, have I ever played for that long. IMO FPS is slighly > RPG's because the only RPG's I like are the Final Fantasy games. Where as I can just pick up and play and FPS. I don't know anyting about Chrono so I cannot comment on how good it is compared to COD4.

19. Kashagi

Kashagi The

This is no contest to me, while I enjoy COD 4 mildly, I would rather play Goldeneye or Rainbow Six Vegas personally. COD 4 is a great game, but it doesnt work for me.

Chrono Trigger, is better then every single Final Fantasy (yes that includes VII), and is quite possibly the best turn based rpg I have ever played. An epic story with fantastic characters and a fantastic battle system.

Its one of the greatest games on the SNES and up there with the greatest games ever. Which is something I dont think COD 4 is close to.

Marquis likes this.
  20. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare Pre-Show Stalwart

Love the whole COD series, and COD4 is my favourite in the series that I play constantly. So I have to give that my vote.

21. Lee

Wait, you are trying to say that COD4 is the reason people have an X Box? You do realise at the time of release the X Box went through one of its first price cuts and sales jumped....it has nothing to do with COD4, which was also released on the PS3. COD4 did not change gaming in the slightest.

So Chrono trigger would be perfect for you, it's like Final Fantasy, only better. The battle sequence is much better, it actually flows so well.

22. Dave

Dave Administrator

OK, let me clarify further then. COD4 changed gaming for me. It brought me a world of new friends and gave me hours of endless fun. I also think that it has set a new standard as to what FPS' should be shooting for. Other developers are now trying to make "The new COD4". People just want the same success it had and are trying to make a game of that standard.

I plan on playing it when I have the money to buy it.

23. JenovasWitness

JenovasWitness SHINING WIZARD!!

I know that COD4 is the best of the COD series, but I have always enjoyed RPGs more then any other game format. Chrono Trigger was one of the better RPGs I played when I was younger as well.

Deep customization and team options, well thought out storyline, characters that you can care about and multiple (MULTIPLE!!) endings to discover make this one of Square's better offerings.

24. Fizzy

Fizzy Mid-Card Championship Winner

Really? Explain to me how it is better then every Final Fantasy please. I'll admit the game is good, but absolutely no game is that good. So elaborate please.

25. Blade

Blade "Original Blade"

I'm annoyed with the lack of support for Chrono Trigger. Between the gamers that are too young to have played it and the fact that it was overshadowed at the time by Final Fantasy and Secret of Mana, not many people here have played it.

Throughout this tournament, I'm generally going to vote against FPSes cause I'm so damn sick of them. And COD is just another FPS. Shoot people. Online mode. Yeah, whatever, standard stuff.
    Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, is one of the most underrated games in the world. It got rid of random battles, which made gamers love it and not get totally sick of it. It was the first game to do time travel well. This was square in their prime, before they got kinda lazy.
    Please don't let the generic war FPS beat one of the greatest hidden masterpieces ever.

Skullz Crack'Em likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.