Round 1; 26 Monkey Island 2 v 103 Splinter Cell

?

• Monkey Island

• Splinter Cell

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
images

v

images

Monkey Island 2 is a fantastically fun game, with lots of in jokes and a good all round vibe. Monkey Island 2 is a classic to this day, so that's where my vote is!

Gotta be Splinter Cell here. Monkey Island was far too cartoonish for me, even as a kid. Plus...I'm just not a fan of pirates. The whole pirate adventure genre? Yeah, I wish that had just never happened.

Splinter Cell on the other hand was fantastic. The story was gripping and really got you invested into the game. It was like taking a stealth game like Metal Gear Solid, and than applying a much more realistic story to it. Probably the best of all the Clancy games, and it earns my vote here.

I gotta agree with X here. I've never been a fan of the games that make you sneak around all game long, but Splinter Cell just drew me in for some reason. Though I must admit I was always a little too smash mouth for what the game was intended for, but the fact remains I loved putting a silenced bullet into the back of skulls for fun.

Monkey Island 2 meanwhile, meh it was a game that never caught my interest. I played a little of it, got bored and walk away. That's all I have to work with on it.

Always loved Splinter Cell, still pull it out and play it every now and then. Just a really good game.

Never liked Monkey Island II, just thought it sucked all aorund.

Splinter Cell. It was a great, all around game. Hard as fuck for me, though. But I'm hella not good at stealthy games. Fucking took me 2 hours to do the Special Forces training on American Army. All for Xfear and PYT. I swear. :)

Monkey Island 2? It has pirates! ...and...stuff.

Monkey Island is a far better game. Splinter Cell is just a cheap and inferior rip-off of MGS and Syphon Filter with poor controls.

Monkey Island does make me wonder why Broken Sword isn't represented in this tournament, seeing as it's even better.

Splinter Cell:

I absolutely loved this game, After seeing the early screenshots, The biggest question about Splinter Cell, right after "Is it really that pretty?" was "Yeah, but is it going to be fun?" Now upon the game's release, the answers to each of those questions are "Hell Yeah" and "Damn Right."

Every minor detail in this game is designed to focus your attention on the gameplay theme of espionage. You are in control of a highly trained operative(Sam Fisher), and you're supposed to think like one. Even with all of the awesome weaponry and gadgetry you'll have at your disposal, your own mind is the most important piece of equipment in Splinter Cell and this is reinforced throughout the game.

Splinter Cell should take it here. Monkey Island 2 is, in its own right, a solid point and click adventure, and in its heyday was a big deal. Even today it can stand up as something of a cult classic.

Splinter Cell, however, is a phenomenal action adventure title, in terms of graphical achievement and damn good gameplay. In 2002, if you wanted the definitive action adventure title, you went to Splinter Cell. It's given rise to the Splinter Cell series that still continues today in the stealth/action adventure genre.

At the end of the day, I think Splinter Cell trumps Monkey Island, for both gameplay and lasting impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back