• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roommates Wreck Friendships

Serious Mozzarella

Special Victims Unit
For those of you that are willing to stick through this, thanks for reading.

So money has single-handedly ruined my best friendship tonight.

Here's some backstory.

I had to move back in with my mother after running into some serious financial hard-times in Gainesville. I had to drop out of classes mid-semester and immediately move back down here. Don't ask why I had to come down immediately, but I did. The idea was, I'd be back down here, so I could get a job easier, and I wouldn't have to pay for anything. But I would have to continue paying rent for my apartment until they could sublease my bedroom. The rest of it is a long, convoluted story that I don't want to get into right now because it's irrelevant.

Basically, Farmer (my roommate) decided to lead me on all week, letting me freak out about late fees for my rent. Basically, my side of the rent is $253. After Saturday, the late fee would be $50, and then $10 a day after that. So here I am, thinking I would have to basically chuck over $353 as of yesterday.

So today, I'm telling Farmer that I'm freaking out about the late fees, because I had a problem with Chase all of a sudden deciding to put a hold on deposited checks, even Chase checks deposited in a Chase ATM at a Chase bank. He then tells me that a mutual friend, Andrew, took care of it, because he's a pretty cool guy, and that I would have to just pay him back without worrying about the additional late fees, just the ones I've already accumulated.

So, I call up the management office to my apartment complex to try to bullshit my way out of paying these late fees, hopefully getting a refund on the ones already paid, and I talk to the guy who basically tells me that there was no late fee, and that the rent was all paid for, before Saturday. So I'm thinking this is pretty weird, so I call up Farmer, and... well, here's the conversation.

Me: You there?

Farmer: Is anyone really anywhere?

Me: When did Andrew take care of everything?

Farmer: Why?

Me: Because Travis said that there was no late fee at all.

Farmer: So?

Me: So... when were you going to tell me to just pay the 251 instead of the 330+?

Farmer: Ah, never. Because you owe us for electric and cable for november (which we pay in december), and then you wanted me to go over to Santa Fe, which you told me before you told me you were going to deposit money, so it turned out that that would be approximately the right amount to cover electric cable and get enough gas to go over plus buy a can of paint + plaster to fix up airsoft holes.
Farmer: Also, 253

Me: So you were basically going to deceive me into thinking I was paying for something that absolutely had to be paid right now.

Farmer: I need to get the money back to Andrew
Farmer: So yes, it does need to be paid right now
Farmer: And its not really decieving you, its making you have to pay for less

Me: I will get the money paid back to Andrew, but I don't even know if I can trust giving my money to you anymore, considering I'm in a tight financial situation.

Farmer: Well, if we do not have the money for electric and cable by the 15th then you're going to need to talk to Ozzie (my other roommate) who will throw your stuff out. Because we're all in tight situations, and it has to be covered

Farmer: also, I will no longer be returning your book
Farmer: Because I was busy today and didn't get time
Farmer: This is not a game you want to play.

Me: I'm giving you the money to do whatever needs to be done, but don't make me think I'm paying for something that I'm not.

Farmer: You thought you didn't have to pay for cable and electric?

Me: You need to tell me, not make me think I'm paying for late fees.
Me: I need to know exactly what I'm paying for.
Me: The fact that I'm finding out about this now, and am starting to be threatened over this bullshit is really uncool

Farmer: No, you need to know how much you're paying for, not what
Farmer: Everything besides the paint/plaster has a rather quickly upcoming due date
Farmer: so dealing with it all at once is problematic how? And as it would work out to ~75 dollars extra which was when you initially told me you were going to be able to pay rent it worked out

Me: Why does the paint and plaster have to be dealt with right this second?

Farmer: It doesn't, which I said
Farmer: but its also the smallest portion of this all

Me: So the 51 dollars that I have you when I got back from CT, what was that for?
Farmer: do you know how paying the electric bill works?
Me: Apparently not.

Farmer: you pay for the previous month
Farmer: not the next one
Farmer: at least thats how ours works here

Me: So 253 + 50 + ?

Farmer: cable, which Ozzie said you owe, and I was going to tell you you just owe us like 50ish until you needed me to take your book
Farmer: so because of that I was like, mmk, I'll just get whatever extra he'd owe in late fees use it for gas and some stuff to fix up the house which you helped cause

Me: Ozzie says, "You owe us $300. This is rent, electric, and cable. This needs to be in our hands or bank account by December 20th."
Me: Is that it?

Farmer: again, plus money for gas if you want your book taken back

Me: How much do you need in gas money?

Farmer: probably just 10-15
Farmer: I dont know
Farmer: how much is it to get to sante fe
Farmer: and back

Me: Probably 10
Farmer: fine
Me: It doesn't matter, I'll give you 20 anyway, for whatever else you guys need to do

Basically, what you're seeing here is the conversation Farmer and I had via Skype. The bolded parts are what I consider threats.

Am I crazy here? Would you guys be pissed about this, or am I in the wrong here?

tl;dr: I think my roommate and "best friend" just tried to scam me out of 50 bucks, while threatening me in the process.

It kind of sounds like you ended up smoothing things over. If this guy is a good of a friend as you say he is, he wouldn't let "Ozzie" throw your stuff out. I guess you either move out entirely or keep helping with the rent until you move back. It sure looks like you want to come back there anyways.

Only think I don't get is why are you giving them gas money?

It kind of sounds like you ended up smoothing things over. If this guy is a good of a friend as you say he is, he wouldn't let "Ozzie" throw your stuff out. I guess you either move out entirely or keep helping with the rent until you move back. It sure looks like you want to come back there anyways.

Yeah, we ended up smoothing things over for the time being, but this dude used to be my best friend, you know? Who does that to their best friend in the first place? The only reason heads didn't legitimately roll is for that reason. If anyone else tried to scam $50 out of me, my name would have been off that lease so quickly.

Only think I don't get is why are you giving them gas money?

I guess I should have explained that one. I rented a textbook from my school's bookstore that is due on the 20th, and I didn't get a chance to return it before I came back home. I asked him if he can return it for me. He said he wanted gas money in return. It was cool with me.

Didn't read the actual thread, but this is why I never wanted roommates. Unless I was fucking her.

I've been ripped off plenty of times by people who I consider friends. Just get 'em back somewhere down the road, they'll understand.

I've basically been living with my girlfriend for two and a half years. I beg to differ.

Well, if it's been two years, you know the chick like that and it's easy to live with them. That's love, yo.

A chick that you've been fucking for a few weeks? Nah.

Too many horror stories.

Farmer is obsessed with money, so it seems. He (she?) tried to rip you off; that's not a friend.

What KeepItFresh said is true; you did smooth things over.

However, I'd say you should be very cautious with future payments. It seems to me that Farmer will try to rip you off in the near future as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back