• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roman Reigns' moveset

sMark

Getting Noticed By Management
1 of the biggest complaints about Roman is his Diesel like arsenal of moves - couple of signatures + clotheslines, the thing is - you can't make a good looking long enough match with this kind of moveset, until you always get someone like Bryan or Rollins or Ziggler against you, who can make a 5 star match with a mop, you can't make alot of DVDs then and sell it for some $ (there still not a single Kevin Nash WWE DVD, but countless HBK ones, which means HBK did alot more money on DVDs) and you sure will not shut down any critics or improve WWE shows' quality.
Now i don't see/want Roman to do 450s, hurracanranas and other flip flops that will not fit his powerhouse character, but i want his moveset to be expanded, the guy desperately need some light (you know the moves you use in the first 5 minutes of a match) and middle offensive moves (for right now he only have Samoan Drop and Moment of Silence that falls in this category) and some submissions and maybe 1 top rope move.

Here is the current Roman Reight arsenal:
punch
toe kick
big boot
samoan drop
moment of silence
short arm clothesline
shoulder tackle
jumping clothesline
apron jumping dropkick
spear
superman punch

What moves do you guys think Roman can add to this list that can fit his character, help him in the long run and make you enjoy his matches more?

I don't care if I get a spam infraction for this, but the most important thing Roman needs for his moveset is to LOSE THE SUPERMAN PUNCH. It is one of, if not the single worst move in wrestling history. It's as bad as The Cobra and The Worm. It's a REGULAR PUNCH. And it's also inaccurate to call it a Superman punch, I've read comics my entire life and I've never seen Superman jump two feet into the air and do a wussy-looking flailing punch. The Superman Punch is F***ING STUPID.

Rant over.

Aquaman - It's an MMA move. Reigns just exaggerates it a bit more. I like it. I'd like to see him add another power move or two. Maybe a power bomb just because of the tie in with The Shield. I'd like to seem him stop celebrating and pumping his own sails after he hits every power move though. I dont dis like the guy at all, I'd just like to see him tone down the celebrations after ever big move.

I don't care if I get a spam infraction for this, but the most important thing Roman needs for his moveset is to LOSE THE SUPERMAN PUNCH. It is one of, if not the single worst move in wrestling history. It's as bad as The Cobra and The Worm. It's a REGULAR PUNCH. And it's also inaccurate to call it a Superman punch, I've read comics my entire life and I've never seen Superman jump two feet into the air and do a wussy-looking flailing punch. The Superman Punch is F***ING STUPID.

Rant over.

Yeah, he should drop the move that's actually real in real fighting and pick up some more scoop slams, huh?

This is why you goofballs aren't bookers for the WWE, the shit you say makes no sense.

It would be nice to see him add more midpower moves. I'd like to see him steal Batista's (and others) sitdown powerbomb, and I think that a snap powerslam would look great for him, but, Orton does that, and I don't know if he's sharing.

Didn't know that about his punch. I thought the power of a strike was generated in the hips and legs, so what would the point be to remove any benefit of that by leaping and putting the only power behind the punch from the arm?

That aside, he does need to add some moves. I agree with others that he should incorporate a powerbomb type of move. Could also add in a suplex as well as other throw moves.

Biggest issue is that the only person he has been competing against recently is the Big Show, and Reigns isn't strong enough to do any power moves to him, so he is limited to his couple of moves that don't involve actually lifting his foe...

Well I would agree that the Superpunch is so stupid. But I still don't wanna put a lot of moves on the line and expect too much when it comes nothing out!

Backbreaker
Fallaway Slam
Gorilla Press Drop
Big Boot (Its not in his arsenal yet I guess)
Vertical Delayed Suplex
Spinebuster

I know a lot of wrestlers use the Spinebuster move but it's one of my favourite Power house moves!

Cheers!!

Power moves like; sideslam, powerslam, powerbomb, bodyslam, top rope senton, samoan drop where you do a forward summersault dont know what its called, different suplexes, rock bottom(but not quite), swinging sideslam, TKO.

He should absolutely not drop the Superman Punch. You don't drop a move that's actually over. What a stupid thing to say.

That 3/4 facelock with the knee strikes he busted out on Luke Harper was pretty dope. I'd like to see him tighten up some of his strikes, namely his jumping lariat and his uppercut.

It'd be pretty cool if he did a Rock Bottom once in a while in big matches.

Here's a few moves to add to Reign's moveset-

Off the top rope-Give Reigns a top rope Spear/Shoulder Tackle. A Superman Punch off the top rope would be nice as well.

Alternate Finisher-Orange Crush Powerbomb, which would be a great way for Reigns to win a Tables match, for example. Kenta Kobashi(not KENTA/Itami) invented this move. For anyone who hasn't heard of this move, it starts out like a British Bulldog-style Delayed Vertical Suplex and transitions into a Sit-out Powerbomb Pin.

Orange Crush Powerbomb video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCbzdCCaW4

For the people who suggest Reigns do a Rock Bottom, I say instead of the Rock Bottom, he should do what his OTHER cousin Yokozuna used to do..It looks like a Rock Bottom but it's really called a Spinning Uranage

Yokozuna Spinning Uranage video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTTDcsJXRs

As far as a submission move goes, maybe Reigns could use a Rear-Naked Choke with body-scissors.

1 of the biggest complaints about Roman is his Diesel like arsenal of moves - couple of signatures + clotheslines, the thing is - you can't make a good looking long enough match with this kind of moveset, until you always get someone like Bryan or Rollins or Ziggler against you, who can make a 5 star match with a mop, you can't make alot of DVDs then and sell it for some $ (there still not a single Kevin Nash WWE DVD, but countless HBK ones, which means HBK did alot more money on DVDs) and you sure will not shut down any critics or improve WWE shows' quality.
Now i don't see/want Roman to do 450s, hurracanranas and other flip flops that will not fit his powerhouse character, but i want his moveset to be expanded, the guy desperately need some light (you know the moves you use in the first 5 minutes of a match) and middle offensive moves (for right now he only have Samoan Drop and Moment of Silence that falls in this category) and some submissions and maybe 1 top rope move.

Here is the current Roman Reight arsenal:
punch
toe kick
big boot
samoan drop
moment of silence
short arm clothesline
shoulder tackle
jumping clothesline
apron jumping dropkick
spear
superman punch

What moves do you guys think Roman can add to this list that can fit his character, help him in the long run and make you enjoy his matches more?

Well I have seen him do alot more such as a DDT,Belly-to Belly suplex,Side Slam,Armdrag with armbar,Hip toss,Headlock takeover,Spinebuster,Stinger Splash,Vertical Suplex, Powerslam, Single leg crab (Which looks sloppy when he does it.) But to the topic moves he should add is a German suplex, a normal drokick (I seen him do this in NXT and he does it perfectly), Boston Crab, Jerry Lawler's fist drop, The Roman Elbow (I just named it that lol. but it is his signature Elbow drop from NXT that looked similar to the people's elbow), Military Gutwrench Suplex, Somersault Plancha (I think he can pull it off), Flying Clothesline (Like Kane's), among others.

Still struggling to find a reason for him to give up the Superman punch. Considering he's the only guy on the roster that uses it, it's pretty unique. As someone else said it is a legitimate MMA move and had to be toned down I guess for the WWE.

I like the Superman punch, but the set up is horrible, nothing like telegraphing you're going to punch someone's head off. It's always better when he does it out of nowhere. Just thank God he doesn't use the Superkick, we're getting Superkicked to death lately. Everyone uses it now.

If you go onto Youtube and watch some of his NXT matches, Reigns does have quite a few moves that he doesn't use now. He was actually a better wrestler in NXT, still horrible on the mic though.

Since he seems to get blown up faster than some of the others, I would say he needs to incorporate a few rest holds, maybe the test of strength, or a full nelson.

For power moves, I'd add something out of the corner, like maybe a running tackle in to the corner, followed by a scoop slam as they are staggering out of it? Or maybe a jackhammer, since he's already using the spear anyway.

Also, the apron kick is impressive (when executed well), but he's gotta find a more natural way to get guys in the position to take it, reminds me of the 619 where you could see the set-up coming from a mile away, and it takes you out of the moment.

Big move set =/= great wrestler.

In 1978 Lawler and Race went an hour for a classic and did maybe a combined 15 different moves.

It's about telling a story. I hate this idea of work rate or move sets making a great wrestler. That's simplistic and stupid. Worse than than is that Reigns can't tell much of a story in the ring, he's not good with character work, and he's mediocre on the mic.

I love the suggestions of butterfly suplexes and orange crash powerbomb - will sure add to Roman's individuality, and Superman punch from the top rope could be an alt finisher for big matches.
I think simple standing Uranage (Samoa Joe like "Rock Bottom") will be better for him, without a turnaround (like Yoko or DDP).

I'll add backbreaker from the corner - like Kane/Nash do with sidewalk slam - irish whip opponent in corner then catch them on their way out for Bret Hart like backbreaker.

Snake Eyes into JBL like clothesline - i think with Taker wresling only 1 match a year and soon retire, not many people will be against it.

For the submission hold, Body Scissors is way too common today, maybe something like Rings of Saturn instead.

For the restholds, test of straight when the opponent forced to his knees (Warrior vs Hogan at WM6) will be fine, also i don't recall many guys using HHH/Flair like arm twists anymore, he could easily go from there in some other moves, like knee to the gut then DDT, or keylock into neckbreaker. Full Nelson will be good as well, since he can go to Full Nelson Slam from there.

Talking about neckbreakers, remember the one HHH did in yearly 00's? Why he don't use this one anymore, it was a cool looking move.

Big move set =/= great wrestler.

In 1978 Lawler and Race went an hour for a classic and did maybe a combined 15 different moves.

It's about telling a story. I hate this idea of work rate or move sets making a great wrestler. That's simplistic and stupid. Worse than than is that Reigns can't tell much of a story in the ring, he's not good with character work, and he's mediocre on the mic.

In 78 scoop slam was a hell of a technical move, enzuigiri was like a god performance, everyone used 100 resholds in every match and it was fun to watch for the fans, it was 40 years ago...hell my parents were still in school...it was a life ago...everything changed since, you sure need to play the story, but you also need a moveset to back up your character.

Ziggler can make 5 star matches with a mop, huh? Then why did he have zero 5 or 4.75 star matches and only two 4.5 star rated matches in the entire 2014? And he cannot take credit alone from either of those, for one was an MITB ladder match and the other was a traditional Survivor Series match. Likewise, Rollins too doesn't have a single one-on-one match from 2014 that was rated 4.25 stars or higher.
The ratings were given by Dave Meltzer (of Wrestling Observer Newsletter), the most popular pro-wrestling journalist in the world.
Source: Thus, I'm inclined to disagree that either of them can wrestle a 5-star match with a mop... or a single human, at this point. ;)

Shawn Michaels made a lot more than most wrestlers, not because he had a bigger moveset; but he was a complete package- wrestler, talker, showman, ladies' man, politician, kliq member.

Apart from the opening game, Roman Reigns' moveset is okay. He is used to wrestling in tag team matches where he comes in just before the end and does his stuff. His endgame is super strong and doesn't need any tweaking, but he will need some moves to answer Brock Lesnar's bombardment of German Suplexes early on, and the best one I can think of, is the Double Arm Suplex. It is uncommon, looks good if done well, and will probably take lesser strength to perform than a normal Suplex. Another move I feel would complement his style of striking from a distance, is CM Punk's high knee, done to a running opponent like Triple-H did, and falling to his front, unlike Daniel Bryan. A submission would also suit him well, since Brock might pull out the Kimura anytime. The last time, I suggested an abdominal stretch as a submission move, but someone said it cannot be a believable signature move in 2014/15. But I still maintain that it can very well be so, if executed and received well. It also complements Reigns' spear, which also targets the opponent's mid-section and can be used before or after it.

The superman punch is awesome. People love it, it looks good and it's marketable.

The jackknife is a move I've always liked. It might remind people of Diesel, which probably isn't great in the circumstances, but it would be a great alternative finisher. A gut-buster might work. A "double A" spinebuster, maybe. Gorilla press slam's are always impressive.

The main thing is showing of his athleticism. Reigns is a big guy who can really move. Surely they need to highlight that to ensure he is presented as a unique superstar. Hopefully one or two moves in addition to the apron drop-kick to help him stand-out.

Reigns doesn't need to be Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart but a few more moves wouldn't hurt. Just to help him be more entertaining and increase the quality of his matches.

Rant over.

I understand the criticism of the Superman Punch... but let's not forget that three of the \guys who have been considered WWE "flag bearers" had moves such as "the leg drop of doom," "the people's elbow," and the "5-knuckle shuffle." While I also think the Superman Punch looks idiotic, I don't see it as a fair criticism of Roman Reigns since I never held it against Hogan, The Rock or Cena for having equally idiotic signature moves.

Didn't know that about his punch. I thought the power of a strike was generated in the hips and legs, so what would the point be to remove any benefit of that by leaping and putting the only power behind the punch from the arm?

That aside, he does need to add some moves. I agree with others that he should incorporate a powerbomb type of move. Could also add in a suplex as well as other throw moves.

Biggest issue is that the only person he has been competing against recently is the Big Show, and Reigns isn't strong enough to do any power moves to him, so he is limited to his couple of moves that don't involve actually lifting his foe...

Exactly! I remember the brief exchange Reigns had with Sheamus during Elimination Chamber 2013, I think they would put on a great match. Both are big and athletic. But yeah I don't think anybody can put on great matches with Show. Orton (2013), Brock (2014), Cena (2012) couldn't even do it.

I love the suggestions of butterfly suplexes and orange crash powerbomb - will sure add to Roman's individuality, and Superman punch from the top rope could be an alt finisher for big matches.
I think simple standing Uranage (Samoa Joe like "Rock Bottom") will be better for him, without a turnaround (like Yoko or DDP).

I'll add backbreaker from the corner - like Kane/Nash do with sidewalk slam - irish whip opponent in corner then catch them on their way out for Bret Hart like backbreaker.

Snake Eyes into JBL like clothesline - i think with Taker wresling only 1 match a year and soon retire, not many people will be against it.

For the submission hold, Body Scissors is way too common today, maybe something like Rings of Saturn instead.

For the restholds, test of straight when the opponent forced to his knees (Warrior vs Hogan at WM6) will be fine, also i don't recall many guys using HHH/Flair like arm twists anymore, he could easily go from there in some other moves, like knee to the gut then DDT, or keylock into neckbreaker. Full Nelson will be good as well, since he can go to Full Nelson Slam from there.

Talking about neckbreakers, remember the one HHH did in yearly 00's? Why he don't use this one anymore, it was a cool looking move.

In 78 scoop slam was a hell of a technical move, enzuigiri was like a god performance, everyone used 100 resholds in every match and it was fun to watch for the fans, it was 40 years ago...hell my parents were still in school...it was a life ago...everything changed since, you sure need to play the story, but you also need a moveset to back up your character.
Rock, Austin, Hogan, Cena, even Daniel Bryan. The most over names of the last 30 years haven't had gigantic move sets.

Wrestling is SOOO much more than that. It's how you sell. It's how you move. It's how you bump. Watch Hogan. People shit on him, but he makes EVERY move an event. It will take him 5 minutes to do 3 moves because he plays each one up so much and the crowd loves it. Rock does the same thing. Bryan does it in a different way by doing a fury of fairly basic moves in a row to get over the idea that he's small and needs to execute offense in bunches.

It's only about the story. It's only ever been about the story. Other than basic headlocks and switches, what did Bret Hart do that was so magnificent? He had about 5 moves that weren't totally basic.

Reigns is fine on move set. Where he needs work is his in ring selling, telling a story in the ring, and character work (in the ring). You should be able to silhouette a guy and still know who it is, if he's a heel or face, if he's big or small, etc based off how he moves and how he executes moves.

Wrestling fans, the casual fan, doesn't give a shit about how many moves you do. They care about the feeling they get from whatever's happening. That's the art of telling a story. Any wrestler worth a shit (like Bret Hart) will tell you moves aren't important, it's how you execute. Shitty wrestlers (pick one) are spot monkeys who have to do that shit to get over, and rarely get over anyhow.

It's all about the story. If you're hung up on how many moves someone can do, you've convinced yourself it's important. That's all there is to it, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back