Rock Region, Phoenix Subregion, First Round: (15)Jushin Liger vs. (18)Tully Blanchard

Who Wins This Match?

• Jushin Thunder Liger

• Tully Blanchard

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Phoenix. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix, Arizona.

talkingstick.jpg

JUSHIN-LIGER.jpg

#15. Jushin Thunder Liger

Vs.

10.jpg

#18. Tully Blanchard

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I have never really understood the appeal of Tully Blanchard. For me he epitomises the NWA wrestlers of the late 80s. Adored by the hardcore fan, ignored by the casual. Liger is far more interesting and has probably been more in the limelight than Blanchard ever really was. Liger wins.

I have never really understood the appeal of Tully Blanchard. For me he epitomises the NWA wrestlers of the late 80s. Adored by the hardcore fan, ignored by the casual. Liger is far more interesting and has probably been more in the limelight than Blanchard ever really was. Liger wins.

I'm a massive Tully fan - but just about everything you said here is fair and accurate. He really is the quintessential late 80's NMW guy, and it's fair to say that a lot of his legacy is on the coattails of the Four Horsemen, a group that truly was greater than the sum of its parts. It's not unlike the legacy of the X-Pacs of the world who are remembered better because of Degeneration X.

Tully is a terrific ring technician who is in great shape, but so is Liger. In fact, everything Tully does well, Liger also does well, and Liger has the added benefit of the high-flying attack that wasn't Tully's forte. I'd love to support Tully from a personal fan-ship POV, but logically, Liger is the best choice here.

Man...It's so true, everything that Tasty and IC have already said. I'm a huge Tully fan, and loved his stuff both in and out of the Horsemen, but he was such an 80's midcard guy...

I'd even contest that he's a better technical wrestler than Liger. But Liger can do things that Tully never saw in 1980's NWA, or in his limited time in WWF. Liger is an international phenomenon, and goes over easy here.

And it's sad.

Everything I am about to post is completely unbiased. Pay no heed to my avatar....

Jushin Liger was one of the most innovative and gifted cruiserweights in history. He is extremely accomplished and celebrated as a legend in Japan. However, this isn't a cruiserweight match and it doesn't take place in Japan.

As amazing as Liger was, he seemed a bit lost and out of his element when wrestling in the States. Though he spent nearly half a decade wrestling in the US, he had minimal impact on any title scene and spent the majority of his time in the midcard. He didn't win any notable titles, have any memorable feuds or make much of a mark in his time here.

Contrast that with Tully Blanchard. Blanchard has held gold nearly everywhere he's gone and been a part of some of the biggest storylines of his day. Blanchard is on the short list of greatest tag wrestlers ever, had a terrific NWA TV title reign and strong runs with both the US Heavyweight and National titles. He has been involved in some of wrestling's most legendary feuds; the battles with Rhodes over titles and Baby Doll, his sensational work along with Arn Anderson against the Midnight Express, and his brutal war with Magnum TA.

Tully Blanchard was part of a very good tag team with Gino Hernandez, winning numerous regional titles throughout the southwest. Not content with that, he was later a part of one of histories great teams, alongside Anderson, winning World Tag gold in both the NWA and the WWF.

Blanchard was a participant in what is probably the greatest "I Quit" match ever after a particularly bloody and brutal feud with Magnum TA. Blanchard has been successful in every avenue he's explored in professional wrestling, in every promotion and as both a singles and tag competitor. He's always hovered around the upper mid-card and been a big part of some of the top angles. Contrast that with Liger, who was nearly exclusively a lower card wrestler when wrestling in the US in WCW and who almost always managed to come up short in big matches both there and in his ROH matches.

Blanchard was a true pro; tough, resourceful, very solid technically and proven on the big stage. He was an outstanding interview, a cocky, arrogant heel who would do anything it took to win. He was a charter member of wrestling's premier faction and a big part of NWA history. He grew up in the business and his ring psychology and cunning were second to none.

Liger was a more exciting wrestler, capable of things Blanchard could never dream of. In Japan, I see him going over Tully after a tough fight. In the United States, Blanchard's confidence, willingness to fight dirty, technical skill, and maybe even a friend or two help him pick up the win over an out of his element Liger. Blanchard would use some dirty tricks, then show what a great ring general he was, taking Liger apart piece by piece. I see a very exciting match between the two with Tully finishing it off after a slingshot suplex near the twenty minute mark.

Man...It's so true, everything that Tasty and IC have already said. I'm a huge Tully fan, and loved his stuff both in and out of the Horsemen, but he was such an 80's midcard guy...

I'd even contest that he's a better technical wrestler than Liger. But Liger can do things that Tully never saw in 1980's NWA, or in his limited time in WWF. Liger is an international phenomenon, and goes over easy here.

And it's sad.

The bolded part is really why I gave my vote to Liger. He is capable of things that Tully never saw. Tully was a sound hand in the ring, but a lot of that goes out the window when Liger comes flying off the top rope or spring boarding into the ring.

Oh, for crissake, people....this is ridiculous.

I am not going to begrudge anyone for voting Liger. I mentioned myself that he was an extremely exciting, innovative star. He wins this, no huge deal. But I'm the only person here voting Tully? This should at least be close. Tully Blanchard was one of the most decorated wrestlers during an incredible era in wrestling who will be remembered long after he's gone. The guy could do everything; he could wrestle, had tons of charisma, spent time in major storylines and feuds and won belts everywhere he went. Here, let him tell you himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKTsB7I27U

Blanchard took part in some of the biggest and most historical matches we've seen in the States. He won important championships and was a part of some of the most memorable moments of the times. Just take a look at his match with Magnum TA, which was second in status only to Flair/Rhodes at the NWA's flagship supercard, Starrcade '85(This was taken from a WWE list of top 100 matches, placing 30th, btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EHP9wYIXQ

Now I know Liger is winning this. Let's give Tully a little bit of love, though. The guy deserves more than one damn vote! :shrug:

Oh, for crissake, people....this is ridiculous.

I am not going to begrudge anyone for voting Liger. I mentioned myself that he was an extremely exciting, innovative star. He wins this, no huge deal. But I'm the only person here voting Tully? This should at least be close. Tully Blanchard was one of the most decorated wrestlers during an incredible era in wrestling who will be remembered long after he's gone. The guy could do everything; he could wrestle, had tons of charisma, spent time in major storylines and feuds and won belts everywhere he went. Here, let him tell you himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKTsB7I27U

Blanchard took part in some of the biggest and most historical matches we've seen in the States. He won important championships and was a part of some of the most memorable moments of the times. Just take a look at his match with Magnum TA, which was second in status only to Flair/Rhodes at the NWA's flagship supercard, Starrcade '85(This was taken from a WWE list of top 100 matches, placing 30th, btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EHP9wYIXQ

Now I know Liger is winning this. Let's give Tully a little bit of love, though. The guy deserves more than one damn vote! :shrug:

I gave it to him because you're right. I was basically going to say everything you just said, and I am just as shocked as you that Liger squashes Tully here. I always found Tully Blanchard to be one of the most consistent, stable workers of his era. Whether he was competing in a top tier tag team like the Brain Busters, playing the third man in The Horsemen, or just having a straight one on one war with the likes of Magnum or Dusty, Tully always showed up and put on a good show. He's reminiscent of this eras Kofi Kingston except much more revered and accomplished.

I get the feeling that a lot of people are just not familiar with Blanchard's work.

Shame he goes down in such embarrassing fashion, but like you, I can't fault anyone for voting Liger.

I voted for Blanchard because I'm tired of all these wrestlers being overrated because of athleticism and flippies.

Vote Blanchard

I could be swayed either way. I know about both men extensively and they are just so contrasting I can't even imagine how this match would go.

Someone draw me a picture that could draw.

I could be swayed either way. I know about both men extensively and they are just so contrasting I can't even imagine how this match would go.

Someone draw me a picture that could draw.

You are in luck, I am a fantastic artist. My drawings are so lifelike they are often mistaken for pictures. Here's a drawing of Tully getting the pin on Liger after a slingshot suplex. Note the new look Liger is going with, ditching the tights for trunks....

:)

hqdefault.jpg

VOTE TULLY!

Reactions: NSL
Poor Tully. A true legend going against another legend. Its a shame. I can't state Mr. Blanchards case any better than the rest of his supporters. I hate this match up. Vote Tully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back