Rock Region, New York Subregion, Second Round: (8) AJ Styles vs. (9) Vader

Discussion in 'Rock Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Who Wins This Match?

1. AJ Styles

2. Vader

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a second round match in the Rock Region, New York City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8. AJ Styles

Vs.

[​IMG]

#9. Vader

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster. Assume that the wrestlers are coming in fresh after their first round match.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

AJ Styles is something special. He's been all over the world and a main event star everywhere he's been, but so was Vader. Although Styles has been on top everywhere he's been, the list of other well known stars that he has beaten is a short one. The only ones of note on that list may be only Cena and Angle. Vader also experienced most of his success outside of the big American companies. He did however dominate Sting on a number of occasions. Not old Sting either.

Idk here. I'm torn. I can see a legit argument for both going over. I'll wait and read more arguments before I decide.

3. Celtic Tiger

Celtic Tiger Occasional Pre-Show

This is one i am torn between. I have always been a fan of both(though Vader in WWF was a little watered down).

Both men have been big draws wherever they have gone. Both in the WWE, Japan, one WCW and he other TNA. AJ had awesome matches with the likes of Sting, Angle and Cena. While Vader had some great run ins with the likes of Flair, Cactus Jack, HBK and Sting.

At he moment i am leaning towards AJ, but I could be swayed with other arguments.

4. sikkbones

sikkbones the root of all evil

Vader in his prime would make aj look like a cruiserweight.

No way he goes the distance.

5. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

I'm going with AJ Styles in this one, because I think that he would have earned Vader's respect.

Vader knew the business as well as anybody at the top, and he knew that professional image only came second to making money. Vader would be smart enough to see that this wouldn't be some cliche' "David vs Goliath" match, it would be two of prowrestling's greatest having a knock-down-drag-out fight.

AJ can hang with any style of prowrestler, and he can sell the hell out of Vader's offense without undermining his own potential. AJ Styles has carved a niche for himself as an all around ring General, the likes of which I personally haven't seen since Bret Hart in his heyday.

Vader will get his chops in, he'll get his stiff bodyslams in and he'll get his Vaderbombs and Vadersaults in. AJ will take all of the above and still have the wherewithal to get his foot on the ropes.

While Vader can take a hell of a lot of damage, history has shown that one timely powermove can keep him stunned long enough for a three count. Where in AJs case, his new found level of ability has only allowed opponents to beat him when they can match his offensive tempo for that one match.

AJ is smaller, but he's accomplished enough to erase the stigma of it being an embarrassment to lose to him. This would be a big and well-deserved win for AJ, and it would be Vader's opportunity to further elevate someone who is doing right by the business he loves.

Vote AJ.

6. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Jeff Deliverer of Mail Money for nothin, chicks for free
    E-Fed Mod

I'm going with a prime WCW version of Big Van Vader. A.J Styles has been excellent in every form in every wrestling league he's been in. But he wouldn't beat WCW Big Van Vader version. The man was the most vicious, dominating big man the sport has seen in awhile. He had this frigging lights out moonsault that I'm surprised he didn't kill somebody with. Super stiff and at times, downright barbaric. Vader once destroyed a no name and broke his back with his powerbomb. Sting in his prime lost clean to Vader for the title.

AJ Styles offense involves lifting his opponents as well as his strikes. Prime Vader wouldn't mess around with this small man and tear him a new one.

Vote WCW Big Van Vader.

7. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

I don't know. Whenever Shawn Michaels stepped in the ring with Vader, he had his number. Styles to me is a lot like HBK, but with more flippies. Little guy vs. Big guy usually goes to the smaller wrestler a la David vs. Goliath. I am holding my vote for now to see if I can be swayed. "He was big in Japan" won't cut it for me here.

Remember, AJ Styles beat the Hogan of this era more times than Cena beat him. I wouldn't put Vader on that same level. But we'll see.

8. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Vader is a beast for sure, but AJ has made a living out of being the best in a sport where the larger men thrive. He is coming off the best 2 years of his career beating some great guys in Japan as well as besting John goddamn Cena in his new found home, WWE.

Lets look at this though. AJ beat Abyss a good amount, including their first meeting. Abyss is billed as a juggernaut with a serious sadistic side. Without getting into total win loss, he beat him in cages, no dq and even the home court Monster Ball match. Crazy such a small guy could beat such a brute, huh?

AJ should move on here. He has had the better career, more memorable matches & is the reason why sometimes size just doesnt matter. Vader is great, but not Phenomenal.

9. enviousdominous

Umm, no.

While it might be a stretch to suggest that AJ would be hitting the Styles Clash on Vader, AJ's offense can adjust based on the size of his opponent.

Here's a few options that AJ would have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

E-Fed Mod

Bah! It's like nobody watched wrestling in the 1989-1990's. Vader would rip AJ in half. WWF Vader doesn't count. I've erased that version of Vader from the memory banks.

11. enviousdominous

Did Vader rip Ric Flair in half at Starrcade in 1993? Sure, it's three years after what you believe were Vader's best years, but it's still well within the era of Big Van Vader's reign of terror over WCW.

That match was yet another example of how easy it is to beat Vader if he's gassed. It didn't end with a big finishing move per se, it ended with a dead-on-his-feet Vader being rolled up and pinned. Flair didn't need to use power moves, he just needed to last long enough and out-finesse Vader the entire time. There's also the fact that Harley Race accidentally hit a head-butt off the top rope onto Vader, but that's just another move that AJ Styles could easily pull off.

Flair proved that all AJ would have to do is stomach some stiff beatings, and then move out of the way at just the right time to turn the tide of the match. Even after taking a tough offensive move from Vader, Flair only had to crawl into position to roll him up and win the world title.

AJ is more than capable of enduring Vader's worst, and history has proven that Big Van Vader could barely carry his own weight if a match lasted longer than 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, AJ Styles is only getting started.

12. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

E-Fed Mod

A mere speck on the beach of blood created by the monster. AJ Styles has lost alot of matches too. Not every AJ Styles match is a work of art either. I've seen some bad special move fests he's had in TNA where he had to use his Styles Clash four times in one match. Vader would only need one backbreaking powerbomb vs A.J after The Styles Clash didn't connect because of a backdrop. I'm not trying to bash AJ, I love AJ but he would lose to WCW Van Vader.

13. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Is Vader immune to the Calf Crusher? If he gets chopped down, does he have a Vader Time force field saving him from a Spiral Tap or 450? Besides the two moves envious posted, looks like I added some good ones that have nothing to do with lifting anyone.

But please continue with the Powerbomb/Vader Smash arguments as if AJ has never kicked out of a brutal move & still won the match.

14. enviousdominous

You know what man, I wouldn't be nearly as adamant about talking up AJ if I thought he was a one trick pony. He's probably smart enough to not even attempt The Styles Clash on Vader, but he's won big matches with his other moves.

AJ won't let himself get put perpetually on the defensive in this match. He'll see Vader's offense coming a mile away and strike with Pele kicks and flying forearms that'll have Vader going down like King Hippo.

If we're going to keep Vader's WWF days off the table, we should grant AJ the same virtue and only recognize his WWE and NJPW work. But let's recognize one thing about what were apparently either man's darker days in their career; Vader failed to become a world champion in the WWF, and AJ became a world champion everywhere he went to include TNA.

AJ Styles, not Vader, found a way to adapt to a world where he was out of his element. For that reason I think he would better adapt to beating a monster like Vader than Vader would adapt to beating a technical savant like AJ Styles.

15. sikkbones

The only reason vader wasn't wwe champ is because hbk cried about losing.

16. BigBombB

BigBombB Pre-Show Stalwart

Vader was a big hoss that looked as legit as any big man ever has, Styles is on a tier just below John Cena and I think that is only because he spent so much of his career wasting away in TNA that it took him until now to get the recognition he deserves. Styles by a solid mile.

17. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

Vader is one of the best Super Heavyweight wrestlers ever.

AJ Styles is one of the best wrestlers ever.

Those two statements clearly showcase my sentiments about this match. Yeah, Vader was quite brutal but AJ Styles is resilient enough to endure the pain inflicted by Vader.

He was the TNA's version of John Cena and just like Vader won't beat Cena, Vader won't and shouldn't beat AJ Styles here.

Vote AJ because They don't want none.

18. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

Vader was big. Vader was bad. Vader was a monster who crushed people. I get all of that. At the same time, AJ Styles is one of the best wrestlers in the world who has literally found ways to defeat wrestlers of all different calibers, shapes, sizes, and styles. The argument that Vader would crush AJ Styles because he just would doesn't cut it for me. It worked against Finn Balor, but Styles, in my opinion, is in a whole other class. Vader was a star everywhere he went? So was Styles, and he got to the top quicker than Vader did in most cases. Vader defeated the top stars of his era? So has Styles, and he did it while putting on 5-star classics.

Within a year of debuting in Japan, AJ Styles arguably became NJPW's 2nd biggest star behind Hiroshi Tanahashi. Within a year of debuting in WWE, AJ Styles arguably became the company's second biggest star behind John Cena. He did something Vader was never able to do and defeated the face of the company to become WWE Champion, and he did it in an era with a much deeper roster than 1996.

Vader was a guy who came into the WWF almost guaranteed to win the title but never did. Styles came in as a perceived mid-carder and became the hottest thing in the company. Yes Vader was a beast, but that doesn't automatically afford him the win over one of the best wrestlers of the past 15 years. Styles has beaten monsters like Vader before and Vader has lost to wrestlers the caliber of Styles. Vader would beat the shit out of AJ and AJ would make Vader look like fucking gold, but at the end of the day, Styles has proven that he can take an ass-kicking and come back to win.

Vote Styles.

19. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I think there's actually a lot of parallels to be drawn between the two men's careers. Both came to WWE late having had enormous successes elsewhere and both were given early opportunity. For a variety of reasons, it didn't work as well for Vader as it has for AJ. While I'm not naive enough to lay the blame entirely on Vader's wrestling ability for that, there is truth to the old adage that the cream will rise to the top, and for me, that means AJ has to win this.

20. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

It's amazing what 2 years can do for someone's career and image. When AJ was released from TNA he went to New Japan and won the IWGP world title, then the next year he came to the WWE and won the WWE world title. Thus becoming one of the very few [Lesnar and Angle are the only other 2 that I can think of off the top of my head] to win all 3 titles.

By gauging his TNA career alone, AJ wasn't as important as the Sting's, Angle's, or even the Jeff Hardy's. They all eclipsed him. After coming to the WWE, he's risen through the ranks and put on some classics, but there's one blemish on his career. Actually it's a huge blemish. He was pinned by a fucking jobber. While he was champion. James Ellsworth pinned AJ Styles.

And before you claim "it wasn't clean and it was on Smackdown," who cares? AJ Styles while champion, was pinned by a known jobber that hasn't amounted to squat. Imagine if Vader was WWE champion and got pinned by Gillberg.

I voted for Vader. He doesn't get pinned by jobbers. He breaks their backs.

21. sikkbones

When was lesnar TNA champion????

22. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

People saying in favour of Vader that he broke a jobber's back. As if it's an accomplishment or something. Is this UFC where George St. Pierre had to beat the heck outta BJ Penn to win? Nopes, it's professional wrestling.

In fact, Vader breaking someone's back should have been an argument against him. As a professional wrestler, you've to take care of your opponent as well. Like AJ Styles did for Ellsworth while executing Styles Clash.

If people think that Vader broke a jobber's back and should advance then it's wrong. AJ Styles was defeated by James Ellsworth via cheating. It was nowhere near a clean win. When they both had a fair match without any interference, AJ Styles defeated him with just one regular move. And then proceeded to destroy him in a post-match attack.

He was the John Cena of TNA. He defeated the original John Cena of WWE and the Japanese version of John Cena, Hiroshi Tanahashi as well. But he can't beat Vader because he broke a jobber's back? Ellsworth pinning AJ Styles via loads of interference doesn't matter but for some people in favour of Vader, it does. But what about AJ Styles destroying Ellsworth fair and square? That should matter but it won't because double standards.

Vote for Vader only if you think that he will beat John Cena/AJ Styles/Hiroshi Tanahashi. And he can't and shouldn't.

Vote Styles.

23. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

The part of my post about Vader breaking a jobbers back was facetious. Doesn't change the fact that Styles was pinned by a known and established jobber while holding the WWE championship. Doesn't matter if it was dirty or not. He was pinned by a jobber while holding the world title. Vader did quite a few jobs too, but he never lost to a low man while holding a major strap.

If Vader could defeat Inoki following a several year undefeated streak, along with the likes of Misawa and Kobashi, then he could easily defeat Tanahashi. Vader defeated Sting and Bret Hart in their primes. Cena loses clean more often than pretty much any other big era star in history. Vader could have beaten him too.

24. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

How and in what universe would Vader be winning this? I mean, I understand that AJ Styles is popular, great in the ring, and... well, popular. But Vader was an absolute KILLER in his prime, defeating some of the greatest and largest wrestlers to ever lace up a pair of boots IN THEIR PRIMES like Bret Hart and Ric Flair. And you want to talk agility? This man did moonsaults off the top rope as a heavyweight when Styles was still in diapers. Like the poster above me mentioned, I would even bet my money on Vader over John Cena, let alone AJ Styles.

Listen, I love AJ Styles and all but Vader would just SQUASH him. It's preposterous how Styles is running away with this right now.

25. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

Short term memory. Styles is doing what some would say is his best work right now. I was honestly surprised a little by how one-sided this is as well.

D-Man likes this.