Rock Region, Los Angeles Subregion,First Round:(9)Rey Mysterio vs.(24)Bam Bam Bigelow

Who Wins This Match?

• Rey Mysterio

• Bam Bam Bigelow

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Los Angeles Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Target Center in Los Angeles, California.

staplescenter_0.jpg

7801ee12b4reymysterio.png

#9. Rey Mysterio

Vs.

l.jpg

#24. Bam Bam Bigelow

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I'm going with Bam Bam here.

Yes Mysterio has had the better career, but I cannot convince myself that if both met in their primes that Mysrerio would go over. And don't give that Bam Bam couldn't keep up with Mysterio. Bam Bam was one of the most athletic, agile, and best performing big men not named 'Taker or Vader. Plus he led a non wrestler to a decent match at WM 11.

Vote Bam Bam.

Both really good wrestlers, but Reg is better, and Bam Bam is totally the type of guy Rey would have beaten in a David vs. Goliath storyline: a very good wrestlers, but never a top guy, or even close to it.

Rey is probably the most successful luchador in US history. Bam Bam Bigelow is probably the most successful wrestler with head tattoos, a far smaller accomplishment.

Jiggles said it best, Bam Bam is the type of guy Rey would beat in a David vs. Goliath match up. Bam Bam would beat the piss out of Rey, but would likely miss a Bam Bamsault and set up Rey for the 619.

Bam Bam will always be one of my favorites, and I'll always think he was a criminally underrated big man, but this is not a match he wins, especially in LA. Rey almost never loses in SoCal, and he just flat out had the better career. This would be way more entertaining than the final vote may tell.

Rey Mysterio has made a career of beating wrestlers much bigger than himself, including some of the giants of the business. He'd do the same in this match, using his speed and agility to tire out Bigelow (who is no slouch himself, especially for his size). He'd no doubt dominate Rey in the early goings, but Mysterio would somehow survive, fight back and chop the giant down as always.

Rey pulls out the win here.

Mysterio takes this. Besides the giant killer thing, he has just flat out accomplished more. Sure Bigelow could keep up a bit better than other big men, but the end result would still be with him laying dazed across the ropes & eating a 619.

In terms of accomplishments, Rey Mysterio is way above Bam Bam.

And in terms of in-ring work, Although Both are solid workers, Yet Rey is much talented than Bam Bam.

So Bam Bam would dominate the match but Rey would pick up the victory via 619.

In terms of accomplishments, Rey Mysterio is way above Bam Bam.

And in terms of in-ring work, Although Both are solid workers, Yet Rey is much talented than Bam Bam.

So Bam Bam would dominate the match but Rey would pick up the victory via 619.

The accomplishment of Rey being one of, if not the WORST World Champions in history vs a nationally ranked state wrestling champion and one of the greatest Superheavyweights ever?

You're giving Rey too much credit just because his entire career was booked as "be dominated, get the crap beat out of you, then pull off all of these moves that require your opponent to do 80% of the work.

Hurricanrana? No. Power bomb.

I refuse to vote for over-REY-ted to defeat the 5th greatest Superheavyweight of all time.

Rey is going to win, as he should. He's far more accomplished than Bam Bam ever was. On paper you'd think it was a mismatch, but Rey made the jump from plucky cruiserweight mainstay to giant slayer. Terrible world title reigns aside, he has victories over guys like Big Show and Kane. Hell, he spent an entire summer beating Kane. And Kane at any point in his career was far above Bam Bam. If this were Vader, Rey would get squashed. But it's not and I have no problem voting for Rey here.

Also IC I believe Haystacks Calhoun was the 5th greatest super heavyweight of all time.

Rey is going to win, as he should. He's far more accomplished than Bam Bam ever was. On paper you'd think it was a mismatch, but Rey made the jump from plucky cruiserweight mainstay to giant slayer. Terrible world title reigns aside, he has victories over guys like Big Show and Kane. Hell, he spent an entire summer beating Kane. And Kane at any point in his career was far above Bam Bam. If this were Vader, Rey would get squashed. But it's not and I have no problem voting for Rey here.

I'm not disagreeing that Rey wins, but I will disagree with the logic. Bam Bam, at his best, was better than Kane at any point that wasn't his prime. And, while Rey should rightfully be remembered for his time on top, there was a long time before that where he was just some guy who opened Nitro.

This match, in the ring, would be very close, but I think this is one where the locale comes to play. I don't see Rey losing a big match in SoCal this early in the game.

I'm not disagreeing that Rey wins, but I will disagree with the logic. Bam Bam, at his best, was better than Kane at any point that wasn't his prime. And, while Rey should rightfully be remembered for his time on top, there was a long time before that where he was just some guy who opened Nitro.

This match, in the ring, would be very close, but I think this is one where the locale comes to play. I don't see Rey losing a big match in SoCal this early in the game.

Maybe. Kane at his worst was when he kept losing to Rey over and over. But Bam Bam at his worse? Significantly less than that. And that was what I was emphasizing. Rey was far more consistent than Bam Bam ever was, so that has to be considered here. The only outcome I can see is Mysterio slaying another giant.

Also, yeah, the match being in SoCal definitely gives Rey an additional edge.

Maybe. Kane at his worst was when he kept losing to Rey over and over.

Kane at his worst is not losing to Rey. It was Fake Diesel. Or Isaac Yankem DDS. Or "Corporate Kane". Bam Bam is better than all of that. How many WrestleManias has Kane main evented? Even at his peak? Bam Bam main evented one, which is more than the zero Kane can boast.

It's already been said, but I'll reiterate. Bam Bam vs Rey is legitimately the most prototypical David vs Goliath match. Throw the location in and 9/10 this ends with Rey on top after taking a brutal beating.

"be dominated, get the crap beat out of you, then pull off all of these moves that require your opponent to do 80% of the work.

Hurricanrana? No. Powerbomb.

Like every babyface comeback sequence in the history of wrestling? Congrats on watching your first wrestling match, when will you watch the second one?

Also Bam didn't use a powerbomb.

And you spelled hurracarrana incorrectly.

Try harder.

Would be a great match, Bam would actually bump for Rey making it a bizarre enjoyable spectacle.

But it would be a textbook Rey Not So Mysterio Win.

Man his shins must be of steel...

I'm really jaded by the cliché scenario where the little man gets beaten down and eventually finds the strength to overcome the odds, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to start lying to everybody about who I think should win.

I understand that Bam Bam's biggest accomplishment is main eventing WrestleMania 11 against Lawrence Taylor, that really doesn't do it for me. Bam Bam (rest his soul) deserves credit for proving that big men can be athletic and defy gravity here and there, but in the prowrestling world you have to prove how good you are by making the strongest impression on the audience.

I'm really not a big Rey Mysterio fan, I think his most recent work in AAA has been atrocious. I used to get annoyed when he would beat guys like JBL and Batista in ways that were justifiable only because they up and decided to not beat him, deliberately breaking pinfalls, excessive gloating, etc. Either way; Rey has done more than Bam Bam, and has more than proven that he can find a way to beat a guy like Bam Bam.

Rey barely pulls a win here, but I hope this is the last time I vote for him. Vote Rey.

Rey almost never loses in SoCal.

And here's the reason why we say "almost never":

[YOUTUBE]OR_DgTcUgWk[/YOUTUBE]

Just saying, SoCal and accomplishments can only do so much for Rey. I give him the win over Bam Bam, but Rey got a lucky seed and a lucky venue in this tournament. I doubt he'll win a second match.

Like every babyface comeback sequence in the history of wrestling? Congrats on watching your first wrestling match, when will you watch the second one?

Also Bam didn't use a powerbomb.

And you spelled hurracarrana incorrectly.

Try harder.

Meanie face, where are my "you still got it" chants!?

I never said Bam used one regularly. Doesn't mean he couldn't use it as a counter to a 150-lb gnat trying to moronically flip him with just his legs.

Comebacks happen, and they're great. Sometimes they fail.

And Hurracarrana? Really?

Wikipedia said:
Hurricanrana
Though is commonly referred as an Hurricanrana, the original, Spanish name for this maneuver is the Huracanrrana (the name was taken from Mexican luchador Huracán Ramírez). This is a head scissors take down that ends in a double leg cradle pinning hold, though it is often performed in American wrestling without the aforementioned pinning combination.[13] (A rana is any double-leg cradle.) A somersault version also exists.

Hey, quotes still work!! Sweet!

Rey Mysterio made a career of beating guys like Bam Bam Bigelow and he would do so here. I don't really understand why some people feel the need to have a go at Rey for winning the Heavyweight title when he was more popular and better than literally all of the other competitors. As for people who will say 'he's too small, it's not believable' - I'd say I've seen a hell of a lot more tiny world champions in sports than fat blokes. Anyway, I digress. Mysterio wins.

Rey Mysterio made a career of beating guys like Bam Bam Bigelow and he would do so here. I don't really understand why some people feel the need to have a go at Rey for winning the Heavyweight title when he was more popular and better than literally all of the other competitors. As for people who will say 'he's too small, it's not believable' - I'd say I've seen a hell of a lot more tiny world champions in sports than fat blokes. Anyway, I digress. Mysterio wins.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I detest the way you dismissively refer to them simply as "fat blokes" or anything of the sort, because you infer with that statement that they aren't athletic or less deserving. Even in modern thought processes, we've seen Kevin Owens - arguably with a far worse body composition than Bam Bam Bigelow - wrestle 30 minutes with John Cena. Just because outside of the world of professional wrestling someone whose BMI is way higher is generally not in the best cardiovascular shape doesn't mean there aren't large pro athletes with high BMI's and good cardio.

Plus - and I've made this argument - the smaller, more cardio-strong guy would tire just as fast as the larger guy because one expends far more energy attacking a larger target than a small one for the same reason I get more tired lifting a 55-lb dumbbell than a 20-lb one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I detest the way you dismissively refer to them simply as "fat blokes" or anything of the sort, because you infer with that statement that they aren't athletic or less deserving. Even in modern thought processes, we've seen Kevin Owens - arguably with a far worse body composition than Bam Bam Bigelow - wrestle 30 minutes with John Cena. Just because outside of the world of professional wrestling someone whose BMI is way higher is generally not in the best cardiovascular shape doesn't mean there aren't large pro athletes with high BMI's and good cardio.

Plus - and I've made this argument - the smaller, more cardio-strong guy would tire just as fast as the larger guy because one expends far more energy attacking a larger target than a small one for the same reason I get more tired lifting a 55-lb dumbbell than a 20-lb one.

You have completely missed my point, as per usual. The criticism people give of Rey Mysterio is that his success against larger men is unbelievable. I am saying that in legitimate sports there aren't any fat guys - that is true, unless you consider darts to be a sport.

As for your tiredness argument, a complete misunderstanding of physics. Most of a wrestling match is not spent lifting your opponent, it is spent moving around. The little guy has to shift less weight in doing so so expends less energy. Put it this way, would you rather drag an office chair around whilst lifting your 55lb dumbbell or cart a piano around whilst lifting the 20lb one?

You have completely missed my point, as per usual. The criticism people give of Rey Mysterio is that his success against larger men is unbelievable. I am saying that in legitimate sports there aren't any fat guys - that is true, unless you consider darts to be a sport.

Since I am only on the forums for an hour a year on average, I forget where you are from. That said, you've clearly never watched:

• Collegiate Wrestling's Heavyweight Division
  • The Offensive and Defensive Lines of all 32 NFL teams

I haven't missed your point - your point simply missed the mark.

As for your tiredness argument, a complete misunderstanding of physics. Most of a wrestling match is not spent lifting your opponent, it is spent moving around. The little guy has to shift less weight in doing so so expends less energy. Put it this way, would you rather drag an office chair around whilst lifting your 55lb dumbbell or cart a piano around whilst lifting the 20lb one?

Here you actually make a fair point in that Rey wouldn't strategically go into the match thinking "shit, I have to lift this big bastard." But how many times have we seen smaller guys - Rey included - hit a big move like a top rope drop kick, barely stagger the bigger guy, and have to sprint back up to the top rope to do it again and again just to get the big guy down on one knee? You don't think that's exhausting to the small guy? Running into the equivalent of a wall 40 times in a match just to cut him down to roughly your height?

Much as you said you are resigned to Blue Demon (rightfully) losing to Vader in the other thread, I'm resigned to the fact that Rey is going to go over Bam Bam. The point I want to make is that Bam Bam Bigelow is criminally under-rated as a professional wrestler because 1) he never won a major promotion's championship (and I intentionally did not count ECW) and 2) he was a participant in the worst Main Event in Wrestlemania history, despite the fact that he carried a non-wrestler. Rey on the other hand is quite over-rated as WCW and then WWE went overboard on the "David vs Goliath" appeal of Rey vs the likes of Kevin Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back