Rock Region, Los Angeles Subregion, First Round: (1) The Rock vs. (32) Shane Douglas

Who Wins This Match?

• The Rock

• Shane Douglas

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Los Angeles Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Target Center in Los Angeles, California.

staplescenter_0.jpg

the-rock-b-320.jpg

#1. The Rock

Vs.

shane-douglas-01-1381781238.jpg

#32. Shane Douglas

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Jesus, talk about not being able to catch a break.

Maybe if he tried real hard, ye? No.

The Rock steam rolls and raises his eyebrow to the bemusement of millions.

I was never a Shane Douglas fan. He felt self entitled to me. Even his he had a career that could stack up to that of Rockie's, I would vote Rock over Shane on principle.

I'm a bit of a Franchise mark, and it's probably my fault he's even in the tournament, so let me at least explain why.

Douglas was a solid tag wrestler in the NWA (holding the titles with Steamboat), and then had a forgettable midcard run in the WWF, even holding the IC title and then immediately losing it. We all know he's best remembered for his time in ECW. He is the guy that jumpstarted their success, throwing down the belt, and even though most people hate his promos running down Flair and Hogan...I liked the rawness of them. He worked through some very solid feuds there as well. And then he had some time in TNA, and while it wasn't on the level of ECW, I still liked it, and it was nice to see him still in action.

But...yeah...Rocky wins this pretty easily.

I think Shane Douglas is underrated by a lot of people, and I think it's something to do with the fact he's a moaning asshole who probably jacks off over pictures of himself holding the ECW title. He seems to think he's the greatest of all time, and any failures are always someone else's fault. He has a point to an extent, but I think he's carried it on far too long now.

However, I think he's extremely talented in the ring. I've always loved watching him work and the Franchise persona was key to the early growth of ECW, when he was "their guy". He was awesome, and deserved better than he got in both WWE and WCW, but he'd probably rubbed up too many people the wrong way by then. He was a solid talker and was the ideal fit as the popular, jock type character the Franchise.

I'd vote for Shane against alot of people in this tournament, but this is THE ROCK for god's sake. I don't think the result is even a consideration, it'll probably be a whitewash.

Winner: The Rock

Well this does not even need a vote. We all know Rock would take this one and there is nothing Douglas could do to stop it. The difference gap in careers is far too wide.

Shane Douglas is a legend in his own mind. I'm not saying he wasn't a good wrestler or indeed a great mic man, but my God if anyone bought into his own hype, it was Shane Douglas. Ground breaking in ECW sure, but he didn't exactly move the needle like Taz or Raven or Sabu or any of those guys. Hell, him running away from Taz actually hurt the company long term and deprived us of a lengthy Taz championship reign.

And then there's The Rock whose accomplishments and talents speak for themselves and thus I don't need to go into gratuitous detail about why he's so much better than Shane Douglas on every level. I could, but I won't, excpet for one detail: Shane Douglas is considered one of the best mic men in ECW history. The Rock is arguably the best mic man in pro wrestling history, period. Ya' smell what I'm cooking here?

I'm not sure I've ever been remotely entertained by Douglas. I'm sure someone can pull out some classic ECW match out or something, but for me he always seemed like a guy who wasted his talent by being a tool and blackballing himself from bigger promotions. The Rock is arguably the best of all time in some of the wrestling skills, and very good at all the others. He simply has to win this one.

I definitely agree with the various negative comments regarding Douglas. He's spent the entirety of his career coming off like an entitled bitch who, for all intents and purposes, blames an industry wide conspiracy for why he never achieved the godhood he feels is so rightfully his. As with most things in life, I'm sure there's actually some truth to his claims but, at the same time, he refuses to acknowledge his own shortcomings and whatever responsibility they might have for his career not reaching those stratospheric heights; I mean, it's so much easier and soothing that even considering the possibility that MAYBE, just MAYBE, he wasn't as good as he imagined. As a result, Douglas' rants are essentially the blueprint for the modern day shoot interview where the disgruntled wrestler runs down everyone he had issues with, paints everyone who didn't see things exactly his way as bad guys and painted himself as the lone hero standing up against the corruption of the industry.

Even if he wasn't going against the Rock, there aren't a whole helluva lot of guys in the tournament I'd give Douglas a vote for; that's not to say that there aren't some, because there are, but it definitely wouldn't be against someone like the Rock. Aside from the various "Rocky" chants, I can picture a sizeable "who are you?" chant aimed at Shane Douglas before Rock damn near puts him through the mat with the Rock Bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back