Rock Region, Birmingham Subregion, First Round: (11) Batista vs. (22) Roman Reigns

Discussion in 'Rock Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 19, 2017.

?

Who Wins This Match?

1. Batista

2. Roman Reigns

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the Rock Region, Birmingham Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Legacy Arena in Birmingham, Alabama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#11. Batista

Vs.

[​IMG]

#22. Roman Reigns

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. sikkbones

sikkbones the root of all evil

As much as I hate reigns you can't deny he is charismatic to some...

Batista is best playing Drax, or talking to basketballs.
    I never understood how someone with so little talent got over as much as he did.

Given a choice I would vote for an carbon rod or a pet rock over Dave.

But cuz I can't. The duke goes to roman.

Man has a future in the industry and won't just take from it.

3. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Batista is a man that while in this prime, defeated Triple H, Undertaker, HBK and Cena.
    He was much more popular than Roman Reigns, connected with the crowd better and was always over as a babyface, even when going against The Undertaker. He carried Smackdown from 2005 to 2006 and was in a title in every PPV in 2007. And guess what. Fans really had no problem with it.

Sorry Roman, but in your best day, you still haven't reached the heights and accomplishments that Batista had from 2005 to 2008.

Some people could even argue that if it wasn't for his injuries and age, Batista would have stayed over Cena and Cena wouldn't have really become the "guy".

Vote the Animal.

4. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

Hm, this is a tough one for me. Both guys are ridiculously similar in a lot of ways. Batista's beaten some of the best of his era, but so has Roman Reigns. While names like HBK, Cena, and the Undertaker may sound more impressive than AJ Styles, Randy Orton, and Daniel Bryan, the fact is that Reigns has never had the opportunity to face the three names listed above (Taker, Cena, HBK), at least not yet. I don't think that proves anything. I can just as easily say that Batista tapped to Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania and than got pinned by Reigns at Extreme Rules. Reigns has also beaten an unstoppable monster in Braun Strowman and damn near beat a more unstoppable Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania, so this argument isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Both guys were the muscle in two of the more memorable factions in the last 20 years. Batista was more of a bit-player, playing third fiddle to HHH and Orton until 2005 though while I viewed The Shield as a much more equal unit. Still when he broke out, Batista broke out big. There was nobody hotter than Batista in 05-06 except maybe that one guy John Cena. Roman Reigns never really distinguished himself as special, the only thing that's done that is his booking.

Batista won 6 World titles in a span of 5 years. Reigns has won 3 in the span of 2 years. Batista has clearly had the more memorable championship reigns in my opinion. Yup this one's tough. I really have no idea who would win a match between these two if they were to face off in their primes. They'd probably split more often than naught as Cena/Batista did.

I'm probably going to go with Batista because at this point he's reached greater heights at his peak than Roman has. Reigns' peak has yet to come and in maybe a year or so this would be a different story, but right now I'm probably voting Batista.

5. Da Prophet

Da Prophet Mid-Card Championship Winner

They both went into a WrestleMania main event against Triple H for the World Title. They were both faces. One got cheered and the other got booed out of the building resulting in the crowd mics magically being turned down. I'll go with the guy who actually did his job correctly and got the crowd to cheer him.

6. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Jeff Deliverer of Mail Money for nothin, chicks for free
    E-Fed Mod

Unfortunately for Roman Reigns, he hasn't quite reached Batista's first run in WWE yet. I'm absolutely sure (barring a career ending injury) that Roman will surpass Batista in the future at some point. There is potential left untapped with Roman IMO that WWE hasn't quite explored yet. Batista on the other hand got used well as a face and heel and for the most part, got some big reactions in both roles. His accomplishments and major victories are also a little more impressive as well.

I'm voting Batista, but it's not a landslide vote.

7. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Oh now this is a tasty treat. Roman Reigns could be great. In spite of the insufferable booking his character endures, he has proven time and again that he is genuinely a very talented dude and he excels where many others would crumble. On paper he's going to be one of WWE's greats; two Royal Rumble wins, a couple of WrestleMania main events, several World Title reigns, an excellent win/loss record and a role in one of the best factions in wrestling. That also describes Batista.

Much like his Evolution counterpart Randy Orton, Dave is horrendously underrated. He wasn't a great technical athlete, nor was he the most likable, but Batista has left an indelible mark on the history of modern wrestling. His turn against Triple H is phenomenal. His turn on Rey Mysterio might be even better. He was nearly unbeatable in his ultra-dominant babyface prime, pinning everyone he came into conflict with. As a villain he was peerless, being the ultimate douchebag villain who would crush your heroes and make you watch.

Batista's career is all but complete, moving onto bigger things and he is one of the true modern greats. Roman's journey has just begun. Come back and see me in a few years and opinions may have changed, but Batista advances here.

8. Stone Cold Tea

Stone Cold Tea Getting Noticed By Management

That's not a fair thing to say considering when Batista went up against him HHH had been hogging the limelight for near on 4 years and people wanted change.

When Reigns went up against him he was this wrestling legend who birthed every bodies favourite baby NXT. HHH hardly, if ever, gets a heel pop these days.

There are a hell of a lot of similarities with these guys. They were both the muscle in arguably the 2 biggest factions this century, they dominated The Rumble early on in their careers, they've both had the story of winning the big one at 'Mania. They both got turned heel by the people's love of Daniel Bryan.

Dave came out on top in their first 'real encounter' Rumble 14 but then what happened?

Batista had to team up with his old crew to try take down The Shield and they sent him packing with his tails between his legs. Roman has Batistas number now and he will continue to do so.

Roman wins by reversing Batistas spear in his own Superman Punch/Spear combo.

9. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

Batista won his first world title when he was damn well ready to win it, and he carried himself like a true champion.

Roman Reigns won his first world title as a failed experiment that WWE creative is still trying to fix.

Roman has comparable accomplishments, but he's not in Batista's league in terms of having the faith and admiration of the wrestling fans.

Vote Batista.

10. Stone Cold Tea

Roman Reigns first world title win was used to get the briefcase off of Seamus before 'Mania season came around. Seamus return was the failed expirment there.

11. enviousdominous

Uh huh. Batista's first world title win was the culmination of months of build where he saw through HHH's manipulation and capitalized on his lauded Royal Rumble win.

So... yeah.

12. Stone Cold Tea

Sorry I should've elaborated.

Reigns first title win was used to get the briefcase off Sheamus.

Let's say that that is the failed expirment you mention.

Reigns then claims the title on the Raw at the start of 2016 I believe it was to drop it a month later in the Rumble. Reigns then gets the same 'Mania moment as Batista claiming the belt off the same guy.

So even if Reigns first title run was a failed expirement he then went on to win the title twice more, showing his evolution into a real world champion.

Reigns learns and he learns quick.

13. enviousdominous

I think that you and I have had two very different impressions of Roman Reigns.

I get that you agree that Reigns' first title win was poorly executed, but you're of the opinion that he was a victim of circumstance. I'm of the opinion that Reigns failed to justify his status as a world champion, and that he's right where he belongs in a potential feud for the US title.

14. Stone Cold Tea

I'm just sticking up for the little (big?) guy. The very same thing that tarnished Reigns first reign (lol) was the same thing that tarnished Batistas return.

Daniel Bryan.

15. #tamale

#tamale Marry me Billie Kay!!!

I love both of these guys, but I'm going to vote Roman Reigns. I have a bit more love for Reigns at the moment. Also, he lives rent-free inside of peoples head.

You mean his second one after he beat Sheamus then lost it to Triple H. His third reign brought us great matches with AJ Styles and Rollins before he was suspended.

16. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

We don't have a crystal ball and we can't look into the future. Right now, if we're talking right now; Batista is a bigger name and a more accomplished professional wrestler than Reigns and it really isn't even that close.

Batista, during his prime was arguably the only competition Cena had for being the face that ran the place. Batista was able to beat people like Cena, 'Taker, Trips, HBK, Orton, and many many others. I'll concede that Reigns hasn't had the opportunity to face those specific names, however, the names that Reigns has faced pales in comparison to the ones that Batista faced. Also, Batista was cheered, not booed during his prime. Batista was liked and he's accomplished a hell of a lot more than Reigns has to date.

Vote Batista.

17. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Roman may well end up more forced than Cena was, but no way will he be as good. Batista was not & people actually liked him until he was pulled into the DB fan vacuum. Roman as he is now would be booked over Dave, because thats how he rolls.

Logic says Batista, yet history has frustrated tons of folks by giving no fucks & putting Roman over.

Deal with it. Roman moves on.

18. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Reigns is a victim of bad booking, and has been for years. He's made to look strong, but often times not nearly strong enough. He'll defeat the unstoppable Braun Strowman and take Lesnar to the limit, but yet will be defeated by Finn Balor and Samoa Joe. There's little consistency to his booking. Case in point his match with Trips at Mania. The fight didn't match the story line at all. It captured none of the emotion. What the fans want from Reigns is to be an asskicker more than anything else; the type of guy that doesn't talk much and just steamrolls the competition, but yet WWE goes out their way to give him the John Cena treatment. Or the Daniel Bryan treatment. Every treatment but the Roman Reigns treatment. His pushes hardly ever feel natural. Instead they feel awkward and greatly forced.

Batista on the other hand was a natural performer who was given an organic push and exploded. Multiple time world champion and consistently one of the biggest names on the roster. Now he's a big movie star appearing in Hollywood blockbusters.

This is Batista's win.

19. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Roman Reigns is a victim of his booking. He comes across as cheesy and insincere. He is facing the wrestler here that they should try and make him be more like. Batista was a no-shit powerhouse and he also played the petulant heel to perfection. Reigns may have won the title a couple of times but never as decisively as Batista. Even with the corporate juggernaught behind him, I'm not sure there's anything Reigns does better than Batista. Batista wins.

20. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

I like Roman Reigns. I seriously do. But his booking is sometimes ridiculous and atrocious. He's a good wrestler nonetheless. But I don't think that he should go over Batista as of now.

Batista has been in the most memorable and greatest feud (for me at least) as in Authority against Daniel Bryan culminating at Wrestlemania XXX. So, Batista here.