Riley Cooper says N word, heavily fined...So then...

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
So a white Eagles reciever got caught on video saying the "N" word, and was heavily fined for it. Personally, I would have released him entirely for that stupid shit, but thats besides the point....It leads me to wonder if the team owner ill now fine his black players for using that term? Or the "F" word, which is fairly prevalent in football culture? A slur is a slur, no?

Furthermore, dont the Eagles have Mike Vick? Didn't people who defended that guy say he grew up in a culture were dog fighting was no big deal, so we should be somewhat tolerant?

You mean, sort of like a white guy from backwoods Florida, like this particular wide receiver was? Wonder what the culture he grew up in as like...

I guarantee if it were a black player that said it, chances are nothing would've happened. Granted I could be wrong in this assessment, but I find that when black folks use the term, it's usually waved off. It's a double edged sword man. I wonder if someone like DeSean Jackson would be fined or released if he got caught saying "honkey" or "cracker"? If folks really get bent out of shape for saying n@*%^r or n$^*a, especially people of color, then maybe we, myself included, should stop using it altogether.

Man, didn't we learn from Paula Deen? If you're gonna drop the N word, make sure it's in a place that you're, like, 37% sure there's no chance it will get leaked.

Look, let's not mince words here; Riley Cooper didn't get fined for saying ******. He got fined because he embarrassed the Eagles organization. Why? Because here's the simple fact:

When a black person says the word *****, this is the image that comes to mind;

2qbud5h.jpg

Stupid, yes? But I think you'll agree it lacks the oomph that comes with the image when a white man says ******.

2lcpy1e.jpg

Fair? Not really, but when has fair ever factored into the race talk?

I'm curious what caused him to say it. Of course there's never any excuse to say that word, blah blah blah... but something was happening before that camera was turned on. I'm super curious as to what. Like, imagine if Cooper's girlfriend was being harassed by a few black guys in the audience. Would people still be as outraged? Eh, maybe, for some maybe not. I'm just curious what made him say it.

Anyways, Eagles had to fine him. Way too much backlash not to. It's just the World we live in. If you're a white person in the public spot light, you cannot be caught using that word. It's really not a hard feat to accomplish. Just don't say it. What's one stupid fucking word erased completely from your vocabulary?

According to Deadspin he was mad because they didnt let him backstage without a pass. Also he had been drinking since 11 in the morning. Saying something like that as a famous person in a public setting is just dumb as hell though

Okay I've been holding off my opinion till now on this, but with the decision to have an excused absence for Cooper to determine what to do next, I have officially been angered by this.

Is what Cooper did wrong? The answer is yes. Was he right to apology? Yes. Was it such an atrocity that it is taking over all NFL discussion worthy. No.

We all say things we regret and also say things we say we regret but don't. Whilst I feel this scenario falls into the second category, I also say so what? Riley cooper made a derogatory racial comment, I am 100 percent agreeing that his shouldn't happen in an altruistic world. We don't live in an altruistic world and quite frankly every person in this world has said something discriminatory.

With that being said, it was captured on camera, it was released to the public and people got upset. Now I can't help but feel that the enraged nature of people on this subject is simply being jumping on a bandwagon. Is it against the law to be derogatory? No. Is it against the law to be racist? No. Is it wrong? Yes. But if you honestly want to tell me with a straight face that there's nothing racist or derogatory said in a football game to other players or referees or anyone then you are absolutely kidding me. Cooper was caught in public saying okay one difference but if you record every player in the NFL for 5 weeks I bet half the league would say "the N word" in that time frame.

Now I pose my own question if someone said out loud during a football game to an opposing player "you hit like a bitch" and this has happened before by the way would the media go up In a shit storm for sexism. I think not. If a player said they wouldn't ever accept a woman playing in the NFL would you hear sexist? No. Is sexism still discrimination yes.

Look the man said how he was feeling. The man made a mistake, put stop overreacting. This is going to come off extremely racist but it's the truth, the only reason people care so much is that the majority of the NFL is "black." If he said something potentially racist but positive like "that "n word" can jump" people wouldn't care. He said it in a demeaning way and now his teammates are "offended." But McCoy, did you really just lose a friend? Can you really not respect him anymore. You never spoke out against a convicted felon in Michael Vick, no you supported him. Why not support your other former "friend" when he makes a mistake. Hmm is it potentially racism. Probably not but I bet it plays a part.

According to ESPN, the Eagles have officially excused Cooper from all team activities, and I agree with Lowdown's post.

My personal thoughts on the matter? What Cooper did was wrong, but the outrage from the black community bothers me. I've read some quotes from Eagles' players about Cooper crossing the line, and never being allowed back in their good graces again. And from listening to all the shows on ESPN and other places, there seems to be this collective sentiment of outrage amongst the black community about someone white or not black using the "N" word.

As black people, I feel a lot of us have a very childish mindset, when it comes to using this word. "It's our word. We're black, so it's okay, if we use it." Or some of us will make up these rules like "it's okay for you to say the N word, if you don't say it with any malice." That's stupid. My stance has and always will be, whether it be positive or negative, you're either okay with non African-Americans using the N word, or you're not okay with it 100%. No middle ground whatsoever.

As in most cases like Cooper or someone else, who isn't black, the outrage is over a non-African American using the "N" word. That bothers me, because amongst ourselves, we constantly toss around the "N" word like it's nobody's business. And it's not always in a friendly or joking manner. No. I'm talking about movies, rap music, and my personal experiences in real life. I've been around my older cousins, uncles, black co-workers, and black friends, who used the N word in a derogatory and hateful way against each other more times than I count on my hands and toes. And during those arguments (cousins, friends, and co-workers. Uncles just stick to the "N" word with attaching anything else to it) or the heat of the moment, the N word becomes "f***** n*****, f***** a** n****, b**** a** n****, ho a** n****, or f*** n****.

So if we're going to spew so much venom and outrage towards Cooper and others like him, then why not direct some of that disgust at ourselves? Aren't we just as bad as Cooper for using the N word in a demeaning way against one another? Don't get me wrong, I've used the word in the past (worst case was during a brief "fit in" phase in high school), and occasionally a few years ago, but I hardly, if ever say it now. But I never had feelings of anger or outrage towards other non African Americans I hung around, who used the word, because I always felt it was hypocritical if I openly used the word, or hung around other black people, who used the N word.

And there's been some speculation about other black players possibly seeking physical retaliation against Cooper during games. Again, if any other black players try to take out his knees or end his career with a violent or illegal hit, then they're no better than Cooper. Who are you helping if you try and injure Cooper? How is possibly ending another man's career, or putting him in a wheelchair a victory for the cause?

I guarantee if it were a black player that said it, chances are nothing would've happened. Granted I could be wrong in this assessment, but I find that when black folks use the term, it's usually waved off. It's a double edged sword man. I wonder if someone like DeSean Jackson would be fined or released if he got caught saying "honkey" or "cracker"? If folks really get bent out of shape for saying n@*%^r or n$^*a, especially people of color, then maybe we, myself included, should stop using it altogether.

I agree. I'm not a proponent of the word whatsoever and the fact that so many African Americans so casually say it among themselves and in mixed companies sends something of a mixed message. I have a cousin who is 10 years younger than myself and he has a lot of black friends that say the word constantly, and they have no problem with him using the word as slang. However, he made the mistake of getting used to saying it while in the company of his friends and was overheard saying it by some other black guys. They took issue with it and even though he tried to explain that him saying it had nothing whatsoever to do with race, he still got his nose broken for the trouble. Yet, while this was going on, he himself was referred to by several of them as "Cracker", "Honkey" and "Snowflake". Granted, those words don't carry nearly the same sort of historical stigma as the N-word but a slur is a slur, and those terms are clearly intended as a racial slur. Nobody can deny that America, like just about every other country, has a shady history when it comes to equal treatment of racial minorities. But I do believe that there's very much a double standard because it seems that racial slurs towards Caucasians is tolerated.

Being politically correct is a good thing overall, but it's often taken to an absurd degree in which the standards are so lofty that nobody can measure up. I saw a discussion on CNN after the George Zimmerman verdict in which the racial double standard was brought up and some of the racial minorities all but came out and said that it was okay because of the difference in "cultures" between Caucasian & non-Caucasians. It's not the first time I've heard such an excuse and, again, it only makes me think that some feel that a double standard is not only acceptable, but appropriate as long as it's the racial majority that feels the brunt of it, and that some feel that they're entitled to preferential treatment along with equal treatment.

I have a good deal of friends & coworkers that are of a different skin color and we don't use racial slurs around one another. Whether it's because we're in mixed company or not, I can't say. It's just best to avoid such terms altogether, though I know it's a pipe dream because humans always have to have something to fight or squabble over. It's in our blood. If it's not this, then it'll be something else.

This whole thing is simply ridiculous. I agree with the majority so far, the racial double standard is ******ed and hypocritical. So it's ok for blacks to refer to themselves as such but the first time a white person says it, we're all a bunch of racist crackers. Should he have said it? No racist slurs of any kind are wrong no matter what race you are. But the amount of media coverage we've had over this is ridiculous and uncalled for. It'll be a shame if he's cut from the team over something so ridiculous but I can see it happening as politically correct this nation has become. When you grow up hearing the word on a daily basis you tend to think it's ok. Even after you grow up and realize it's not, when you're drunk, you say a lot of shit you wouldn't normally say.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Yes there are some theoretical inconsistencies but give me a fucking break. It really is pretty simple, what is the intent and perception? He said it with the intent to be derogatory and offensive and people that heard the comment found them derogatory and offensive. End of story. To argue level of transgression is both largely irrelevant and also completely ignorant of the importance of team dynamics.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Yes there are some theoretical inconsistencies but give me a fucking break. It really is pretty simple, what is the intent and perception? He said it with the intent to be derogatory and offensive and people that heard the comment found them derogatory and offensive. End of story. To argue level of transgression is both largely irrelevant and also completely ignorant of the importance of team dynamics.

Simple question for you then. Based on your above opinion would you agree that Michael Vick should be terminated right now due to him doing something illegal, serving jail time, and tarnishing his opinion? Cause if you agree with this then there's not much more I can say about this....

However if you disagree and I'm assuming you will, then I can only claim hypocrisy. Sure Cooper said something derogatory that people don't like. That's understandable. But to excuse him from practices and potentially cutting him is totally unnecessary and hypocritical considering this is a team that signed a convicted criminal after his prison release. If you think that doesn't hurt team dynamics then I'm not sure what to say. And if you say well what he did is forgiveable surely something not illegal could be forgiveable too.

***** and ****** are two different words with two different meanings. *GASP* I know right?

For all of you you say shit like "They say it to each other all the time!!" No they don't. You rarely ever hear black people say the word ******. They're saying *****. There's no racism intended in that context whatsoever. A white person saying ******, read that again, niggER to a black person can only be construed as racist because it is a fucking racist term. A white person saying ***** isn't always meant in a racist context, but that's a word that black people don't feel comfortable hearing us say. And for good fucking reason too.

There's a significant amount of black folks who don't like hearing the word ***** used the way other black folks use it either. Let them iron out that issue, it's not the business of any white people.

Simple question for you then. Based on your above opinion would you agree that Michael Vick should be terminated right now due to him doing something illegal, serving jail time, and tarnishing his opinion? Cause if you agree with this then there's not much more I can say about this....

However if you disagree and I'm assuming you will, then I can only claim hypocrisy. Sure Cooper said something derogatory that people don't like. That's understandable. But to excuse him from practices and potentially cutting him is totally unnecessary and hypocritical considering this is a team that signed a convicted criminal after his prison release. If you think that doesn't hurt team dynamics then I'm not sure what to say. And if you say well what he did is forgiveable surely something not illegal could be forgiveable too.

Seriously? They hired Vick after he did his time and he hasn't done anything but work toward repairing his image ever since. He was already cut and punished for his crimes. And it's not like they hired him and signed him to a lucrative contract right out of the gate, he was signed as a back up and worked his way up to being the starter again.

You have no idea what you're even talking about at this point, do you?

Seriously? They hired Vick after he did his time and he hasn't done anything but work toward repairing his image ever since. He was already cut and punished for his crimes. And it's not like they hired him and signed him to a lucrative contract right out of the gate, he was signed as a back up and worked his way up to being the starter again.

You have no idea what you're even talking about at this point, do you?

Nate you really haven't read the thread have you? My initial opinion was that I was disgusted at the publicity this was getting and the over reaction and horror everyone was talking about Cooper with. Shattered, said that it ruined team dynamics and I like many other posters in the thread mentioned that this team has Michael Vick, and I took it further saying well if he was allowed on the team with his history that must have hurt team dynamics too. You can't be so ignorant to realize that the point of it was discussing how could a team like the Eagles excuse a guy for something like this when they have no problem signing Vick? I'm talking about team dynamics not Vick's lifestyle. If Vick can be forgiven why can't Cooper. That's my only question. But feel free not responding. I'd hate for you to waste time talking to someone who knows nothing.

Nate you really haven't read the thread have you?

All but your ridiculously long post and LSN's equally ridiculously long post dissecting yours.

My initial opinion was that I was disgusted at the publicity this was getting and the over reaction and horror everyone was talking about Cooper with.

It's not an over-reaction. He said something racist.

Shattered, said that it ruined team dynamics and I like many other posters in the thread mentioned that this team has Michael Vick, and I took it further saying well if he was allowed on the team with his history that must have hurt team dynamics too.

Oh I see, so you missed his point entirely? The team dynamic issue shattered spoke of is the fact that Riley's team mates are by in large black males who probably aren't too thrilled with having him as a team mate right now. Vick killed dogs and while I'm sure some his team mates weren't thrilled with his signing, he was only coming in as a 2nd or 3rd string QB trying to re-establish himself.

You can't be so ignorant to realize that the point of it was discussing how could a team like the Eagles excuse a guy for something like this when they have no problem signing Vick?

Vick wasn't on the team when he did what he did. It's not Philadelphia's responsibility to deal with an athlete's past transgressions, but it's certainly their job to deal with a current employee's current transgressions.

I'm talking about team dynamics not Vick's lifestyle. If Vick can be forgiven why can't Cooper. That's my only question.

He probably can be forgiven, but not right now. He has to deal with his punishment first, just like Vick did. It would be irresponsible for the Eagles organization to ignore what Riley did.

Besides, him being cut wouldn't exactly hurt the team. He's been there for years and has never done anything of note. He is completely expendable. All the more reason why what he said was really, really stupid.

But feel free not responding. I'd hate for you to waste time talking to someone who knows nothing.

:rolleyes:

You can't compare Michael Vick to the Riley Cooper issue. Reason? Cooper didn't commit a crime; he's not facing a judge over this. As a black man, I'm never offended by shit like this, mainly because this type of subject has been taboo for generations. I'm not gonna get into the whole "****** vs *****" debate since its never-ending. Seriously, this is a third rate receiver for the Eagles; what about true racists all over the country that use the term as second nature?

Which brings me to what Shield Girl said. You're wrong if you think that this is an issue that only black folks should iron out. Wrong or right, this is a free speech issue, which in turn makes it something that affects everyone, regardless of ethnicity. I stand by what I said that it's a double standard. I have an older white friend that says ***** all the time. It doesn't bother me, but it rubs my wife the wrong way ( she too is also white ). Knowing full well I can't speak for all folks of color, but we all need to get off the soapbox. There's no easy resolution to this. But if this is truly something that only black folks should try to resolve, it could turn out worse than it is now. It sucks cause I've seen friendships end over this, and it's stupid.

One of the things I was taught growing up is you shouldn't get mad if someone calls you something you're not. It never really sunk in until I got into adulthood, but it's true. Look up the meaning of the word "******" and decide for yourself, and I mean the true meaning. They come in every color. If the word doesn't apply to you, then let it go. There's not a black person alive under the age of 50 or 60 that's been a slave. Granted, a lot of fols from the south dealt with racial ignorance in their lives. But someone like me? Please. I've been called a ****** indirectly in my presence in anger and it didn't phase me. Bottom line, let's just treat it as a word and be done. No one should lose a paycheck over stupidity of the tongue.

One of the things I was taught growing up is you shouldn't get mad if someone calls you something you're not. It never really sunk in until I got into adulthood, but it's true.

There is a lot of truth in this and many young people struggle to learn such wisdom. However, in this case we really aren't talking about being angry, we are talking about being friends/family/co-workers with someone that essentially mistreats you. You shouldn't get angry but I don't see why you should have to put up with it either.

No one should lose a paycheck over stupidity of the tongue.

Directly, I might be inclined to agree with you in many (not all) circumstances. Indirectly, I don't think this is true. If you say something that effects the ability of your organization to do business then you should lose a paycheck and probably more. It isn't much about what you freely said but it is about the result of the incident. These are two different things and I think America does a reasonable job of this. You can say what you want but if you say something stupid it can have a negative effect on your life. Free speech doesn't absolve you from being judged for your statements and it was never intended to.

There is a lot of truth in this and many young people struggle to learn such wisdom. However, in this case we really aren't talking about being angry, we are talking about being friends/family/co-workers with someone that essentially mistreats you. You shouldn't get angry but I don't see why you should have to put up with it either.

Directly, I might be inclined to agree with you in many (not all) circumstances. Indirectly, I don't think this is true. If you say something that effects the ability of your organization to do business then you should lose a paycheck and probably more. It isn't much about what you freely said but it is about the result of the incident. These are two different things and I think America does a reasonable job of this. You can say what you want but if you say something stupid it can have a negative effect on your life. Free speech doesn't absolve you from being judged for your statements and it was never intended to.

I'm not saying you're wrong here. But for your first point, like I stated, just let it be. You're not necessarily putting up with it if you walk away. I see it as ignoring ignorance. There is a breaking point, no question. But you have to be intelligent when you put someone in check, or try to at least. For your second point, business by and large is an extension of society as a whole. In that regard, yes, there are many black folks that are NFL fans, with many representing the city of Philly. One bad apple can spoil the bunch. Stupid as this analogy may read like, I look at Cooper and the Eagles in geometric rules. Like "all rectangles are parallelograms, but parallelograms are not rectangles". Riley Cooper does/did represent the franchise, but the views or comments he spoke are not shared by the whole organization. My outlook on it though from the beginning is that this shouldn't receive as much coverage as it has. We all have said stupid shir before, some minimal, some not. The Eagles should protect their brand. But what does it say about us when we can't see that it wasn't their fault. Look at John Rocker from back in the day. Or that Schott lady. The Braves and Reds still have its fans despite the idiocy of one of their reps ( or in the Reds case, owner ).

All but your ridiculously long post and LSN's equally ridiculously long post dissecting yours.
I'm sorry, but where did I post in this thread before now, exactly? If you're referring to another thread, that's fine, but don't fault me because I can muster up more then two sentences about a subject.

Oh I see, so you missed his point entirely? The team dynamic issue shattered spoke of is the fact that Riley's team mates are by in large black males who probably aren't too thrilled with having him as a team mate right now.
If this was an issue where he wasn't caught on camera, we wouldn't even be discussing this in the first place. Is it wrong? Sure it is. But it would have been dealt with in-house, and the sensationalism brought about by it wouldn't exist. You'ld think he was party to Aaron Hernandez killing Oden Lloyd the way some people(albeit not in this thread) are reacting.

Vick killed dogs and while I'm sure some his team mates weren't thrilled with his signing, he was only coming in as a 2nd or 3rd string QB trying to re-establish himself.
His place on the team has what to do exactly with him killing dogs. Yes, he paid for his crimes, but I'm truly not sure how this is relevant. Would it truly make a difference if he were Peyton Manning and brought in to serve as the starting QB?

No. He'ld still have to prove himself, just from the standpoint of being a starter.

Vick wasn't on the team when he did what he did. It's not Philadelphia's responsibility to deal with an athlete's past transgressions
Sure it is. Why do you think Dez Bryant has a curfew, still? His "transgressions" are a thing of the past, but he's still held accountable for them. Further, look at Josh Hamilton. New team this year, from Texas to Anaheim. He still has to piss in a cup once a week and give his road money to his personal "babysitter", essentially, to ensure he stays out of trouble.

And if Philly didn't and isn't still doing something to deal with Vick's past transgressions, such as continued mandatory counseling and ensuring he avoids folks from his past he was involved in the dog-fighting ring with, then they're not setting very high standards for their athletes as an organization.

, but it's certainly their job to deal with a current employee's current transgressions.
Absolutely, which is why Cooper should be punished. He's an idiot, and Freudian slip or not, a racist.

He probably can be forgiven, but not right now. He has to deal with his punishment first, just like Vick did. It would be irresponsible for the Eagles organization to ignore what Riley did.
Agreed. Not only was what he said racist and where he said it stupid, he paints the entire organization in a bad light. They have to take a strong stance towards him, if for no other reason then for selfish ones that that show their "tolerance" for those of all colors.

Besides, him being cut wouldn't exactly hurt the team. He's been there for years and has never done anything of note. He is completely expendable.
All things being equal, this shouldn't matter in the slightest. It does, but the same standard held towards Riley Cooper should apply to LeSean McCoy. As in, if Cooper is cut for what he said, having no prior incidents or blemishes, then McCoy should be as well if he said the same thing. That's not how things work, but it's how they should.

For example, Chris Rainey, a backup running back who finished his rookie season for the Pittsburgh Steelers last year, was cut because he was arrested for a domestic altercation with his girlfriend. Before the facts came out, and he was exonerated, GM Kevin Colbert cut him, and issued a statement as to how 'disapointed' the team was in Rainey.

But weren't the alleged crimes perpetrated by Ben Roethlisberger, two accused rapes, worse? Yet he wasn't punished by the Steelers, he was suspended 4 games by the NFL. If it had been Chris Rainey, or most NFL players, he would have been gone before he had the first chance to even attempt to defend himself.

What Cooper said was racist and where he said it was incredibly dumb. I understand entirely if his teammate's don't forgive him any time soon. But had it not been caught on camera, this story would never have seen the light of day, Cooper wouldn't be removed from team activities, and we wouldn't be talking about it right now.

It would have been handled, discreetly, within the Eagles organization.

I'm sorry, but where did I post in this thread before now, exactly? If you're referring to another thread, that's fine, but don't fault me because I can muster up more then two sentences about a subject.

I got the threads mixed up. It was the "Is the World Too Sensitive" thread where you guys had the massive wall of text going back and forth.

If this was an issue where he wasn't caught on camera, we wouldn't even be discussing this in the first place. Is it wrong? Sure it is. But it would have been dealt with in-house, and the sensationalism brought about by it wouldn't exist. You'ld think he was party to Aaron Hernandez killing Oden Lloyd the way some of you are reacting.

It still is being dealt with in-house. No one else is punishing him but the Eagles organization.

No one's saying he should be arrested. I'm only saying he'd deserve being cut by the team for being this dense. If your place on the team isn't secured, you probably shouldn't going around making a fool of yourself. The team has no reason to tolerate the headache you're causing because you're not even a valuable asset to the organization.

His place on the team has what to do exactly with him killing dogs. Yes, he paid for his crimes, but I'm truly not sure how this is relevant. Would it truly make a difference if he were Peyton Manning and brought in to serve as the starting QB?

No. He'ld still have to prove himself, just from the standpoint of being a starter.

That's me just not caring and failing to finish my point.

We were arguing the difference between Riley and Vick as it pertains their team mates. A group of black males aren't going to be thrilled that one of their white team mates called a black man a ******. By the same logic, a team full of mostly black males aren't going to have the same hatred toward Vick for the dogfighting stuff. A lot of these people grew up in areas where this kind of behavior is generally accepted as the norm. Wrong? Yes. True? I'm not speaking from a place of information with this but I'd bet that I was right. I doubt Vick was getting the cold shoulder from his peers when he showed up to practice.

Sure it is. Why do you think Dez Bryant has a curfew, still? His "transgressions" are a thing of the past, but he's still held accountable for them. Further, look at Josh Hamilton. New team this year, from Texas to Anaheim. He still has to piss in a cup once a week and give his road money to his personal "babysitter", essentially, to ensure he stays out of trouble.

And if Philly didn't and isn't still doing something to deal with Vick's past transgressions, such as continued mandatory counseling and ensuring he avoids folks from his past he was involved in the dog-fighting ring with, then they're not setting very high standards for their athletes as an organization.

There's a difference between Vick and these other guys; Philly doesn't have to do these things because the law has already done them and/or Vick is doing them on his own. He's legally banned from owning animals, nothing for Philly to do there.

Absolutely, which is why Cooper should be punished. He's an idiot, and Freudian slip or not, a racist.

Yeah.

Agreed. Not only was what he said racist and where he said it stupid, he paints the entire organization in a bad light. They have to take a strong stance towards him, if for no other reason then for selfish ones that that show their "tolerance" for those of all colors.

Uh huh.

All things being equal, this shouldn't matter in the slightest. It does, but the same standard held towards Riley Cooper should apply to LeSean McCoy. As in, if Cooper is cut for what he said, having no prior incidents or blemishes, then McCoy should be as well if he said the same thing. That's not how things work, but it's how they should.

I disagree. If you're a valuable commodity to the team and you make a mistake, I get why the team would want to work with you to prevent something like that from happening again. If you're a benchwarmer (Riley) and you do the same, I get why they would just cut him. There's no upside to helping you.

For example, Chris Rainey, a backup running back who finished his rookie season for the Pittsburgh Steelers last year, was cut because he was arrested for a domestic altercation with his girlfriend. Before the facts came out, and he was exonerated, GM Kevin Colbert cut him, and issued a statement as to how 'disapointed' the team was in Rainey.

But weren't the alleged crimes perpetrated by Ben Roethlisberger, two accused rapes, worse? Yet he wasn't punished by the Steelers, he was suspended 4 games by the NFL. If it had been Chris Rainey, or most NFL players, he would have been gone before he had the first chance to even attempt to defend himself.

See above.

What Cooper said was racist and where he said it was incredibly dumb. I understand entirely if his teammate's don't forgive him any time soon. But had it not been caught on camera, this story would never have seen the light of day, Cooper wouldn't be removed from team activities, and we wouldn't be talking about it right now.

It would have been handled, discreetly, within the Eagles organization.

How do you know that? If it wasn't caught on camera, how would it even had gotten back to the Eagles brass? His team mates would be working alongside a guy who says racist remarks and they would have no idea. I think it's a good thing to know what kind of person you're working with.

All modern news stories get about as much coverage as there is interest in them. Seems fair enough. I think what some of you are saying is that you wish this wasn't such a hot button issue (I would agree with you to an extent) but that isn't reality and all reactions must be based in the what is, not what if. I fail to see any sensationalism here. If you think he is dismissed for counseling to appease idiots on the internet then you have completely misread the issue at this point. That issue is in the locker room.

The Vick "rationalization" is irrelevant and doesn't make sense even if it was. When Vick did what he did he got fined, suspended, jailed etc. If you are outraged since you think what Vick did was worse then you should be smart enough to realize the punishment Vick got was much worse. But in reality you have to understand that Vick didn't just piss off half his teammates in a way that isn't easily quickly repaired with a matter of weeks until the season starts.

As far as the what if a black guy did it theoreticals I think some of you still stubbornly refuse to admit that it isn't the word, it is the intent. If a black guy was caught in a situation with the same intent/implications then I think it would actually be even worse for them. As far as why don't backups get the same "leeway" as starters it isn't hypocritical IMO. At any place of work there is a balance between what value you bring and what value you make detract. That is the reality of how it works.

As far as the what if a black guy did it theoreticals I think some of you still stubbornly refuse to admit that it isn't the word, it is the intent. If a black guy was caught in a situation with the same intent/implications then I think it would actually be even worse for them.

Something else that was touched on briefly. It depends on the organization. It's a rarity you heard the words "cracker" or to a lesser extent "peckerwood" thrown around by blacks as a racial epithet. But you'll agree that some media or outside influence accept it if that were the case. Hell some feel it's okay when on the flip side. How it could be worse though, and again it's a double standard, is if it were Jeremy Maclin or DeSean Jackson, maybe they would've been suspended or released altogether. And it would've raised another argument that Cooper gets a slap on the wrist compared to Jackson.

Athletes, actors, singers, public figures need to be careful with what they say and to whom they say it. There have been athletes who have said things that are homophobic and they were punished, got a fine, suspended for a few days. Guy from NHL calls his ex girlfriend left overs or sloppy seconds, how was he treated ? He was suspended.
The media loves scandal and they will always use the smallest issues to sell newspapers, get higher ratings for their stations.

Should Cooper have said what he said. No. Should he be punished ? Yes. Why ? because he doesn't represent himself alone, he represents the Eagles, and the NFL. They don't need this kind of press and they don't want it. A white person saying the N word can and usually is, negative, disrespectful, demeaning and degrading to the black people they say it to and or about. The history of how that word was used by whites against blacks is one of contempt hate and used in a way to demonize an entire community. SO when a white person uses it he can point to blacks using it all he wants to, that doesn't let him off the hook, especially when he or she knows the meaning of the word and its effect on black people. Some Black people (not all) can say it and it can be demeaning, other times it is used in jest, or in some weird way a term of affection. I'm not a fan of it, don't use the word, but I can't control what other people say, I can disagree with it but I can't control it.

I think we are all way too sensitive. People say derogatory things all the time. When you are in the spot light you need to be more careful, but come on. The sensitivity issue has came up a lot in this section of the forums lately, and I think it is time we all get over ourselves. I don't go around saying that word, but I agree with Lowdown that if an African American has said it instead nothing at all would have been made of it. There are many different types of people that are slurred, but this is the only one that ever seems to get any attention. He was wrong, I don't doubt that, but why does all of these types of things have to get so much attention every single time it happens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back