• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rey Mysterio Returning?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to a report from the WON, Rey Mysterio could be making a return to WWE. Rey had a meeting backstage at Raw on November 3rd with Vince & Triple H and the report says that nothing definitive came out of the meeting except that Vince definitely wants Rey back inside the ring. The report further states that Triple H was there mostly as a formality and that it was definitely Vince's meeting and he was running the show.

The belief backstage is that some sort of compromise will be reached between both sides and that Rey will be back soon and that he'll work regularly between his return and WrestleMania XXXI and that his current deal is set to expire sometime in April.

If the report is accurate, it'd seem that Vince really wants Mysterio back. The fact that the report specifically stated that Vince was fully in charge leads me to believe, and this is just pure speculation on my part, that Vince is the one who wants him back and that Triple H couldn't care less if he returned. Again, just more speculation on my part, but if that guess is correct or somewhat correct, I'm wondering if Trips is more concerned with building the future and pushing younger guys whereas Vince is more concerned with holding onto established stars as long as possible. It might explain some of the booking we've seen with Cena over the past several months.

If Mysterio does return, the next obvious question revolves around whatever plans WWE might have for him at WrestleMania.

Cant see him being anything more than a bit part player if he returned to be honest. Would be great for him to have one last run, but surely he will do something similar to what Jericho and RVD have been doing? Putting over younger talent. A short title run would also be good, bring some star quality and relevance back to a midcard title.

.... whereas Vince is more concerned with holding onto established stars as long as possible.

Or maybe Vince's only reason for wanting Rey back is to sell kiddies the damn masks. I can't imagine what else he could want to bring the guy in for. His time has passed, his body is sub-par and I can't see the company involving him in storylines anymore. He'd be here simply to throw a few 619's from out of nowhere and get out of the ring quickly, before he can blow out his knees again.

Does anyone know the substance of what has come between Rey and WWE? This stuff with making appearances at another wrestling organization's (Mexican) show, when he knows damn well he's contractually forbidden, makes me wonder what's really going on.

Basically what Sally said;

They probably aren't ready to bring up Kallisto as yet, and Vince probably just wants Rey to sell the masks and other merchandise.

Not really interested in seeing him at all, likewise RVD. Don't really see much value in either,lMO.

I'm thinking and God I hope this doesn't sound racist, but Mania is in California next year, and there is a huge Hispanic population there. I'm hoping that McMahon isn't holding onto Mysterio just to sell tickets to that audience, and of course the merchandise sales that go with it.

The WWE already has two up and comers in NXT that could appeal to the Hispanic or Mexican crowd in Sin Cara and Kalisto. Also what would Mysterio return too? I mean shit we haven't seen Mysterio in months now, and I heard that he stopped cashing their cheques. Mysterio wants out and wants to end his career with AAA in Mexico, I have no idea why McMahon won't let it happen.

Rey deserves one last run and I'd personally like to see him back. If Rey doesn't want to wrestle in the WWE then fine, so be it. Call me old-fashioned but I think Rey kinda owes the WWE a little. This industry is clearly different to most places. The WWE (and Vince) has made Rey a huge celebrity and probably a Millionaire. Fame and success that he wouldn't have acquired elsewhere so for him to leave and wrestle elsewhere doesn't sit well with me. Has he earned that right? Perhaps but the fact he is under contract should make it obvious where his priorities are.

I think a fair solution is a limited last program for Rey (providing he is healthy.) I'd have something as simple as him losing a retirement match to someone like Seth Rollins or Rusev. Given his heritage Rey doesn't need a happy ending. A more depressing, realistic ending to his WWE career would be nice with him laying the mask down one more time. Maybe one of the aforementioned heels can carry it around as a badge.

I love Rey. He was a wonderful performer and it makes sense for all parties if they can get one last run. Even if it is just one more match; he can put someone over and make the WWE some more money from merchandise.

I think it would be cool to see a 60 minute iron man match between Rey Mysterio and Hideo Itami for the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania. It would be a great way to end his legendary career and it well also pass the torch to another legendary career in the making. #MysterioVsItami4ICTitle

I'm thinking and God I hope this doesn't sound racist, but Mania is in California next year, and there is a huge Hispanic population there. I'm hoping that McMahon isn't holding onto Mysterio just to sell tickets to that audience, and of course the merchandise sales that go with it.

The WWE already has two up and comers in NXT that could appeal to the Hispanic or Mexican crowd in Sin Cara and Kalisto. Also what would Mysterio return too? I mean shit we haven't seen Mysterio in months now, and I heard that he stopped cashing their cheques. Mysterio wants out and wants to end his career with AAA in Mexico, I have no idea why McMahon won't let it happen.

I'm sure that's exactly what's the WWE's thinking. Look, the last couple of times that Mysterio actively wrestled in the WWE, he lasted one to two months before suffering reinjury. I'm sure people are looking at him like he's Glass Joe right now, WWE management included. The draw for the WWE with regards to Mysterio has always been his connection with kids and the merchandise sales. It's a business, and as long as you can bring in some money, you'll have a job. Sin Cara was a big whopping flop for the WWE. Mysterio was a known commodity coming into the WWE, and just got bigger from there. There's no ready or easy replacement for him...in this respect, he's probably as difficult to replace as a guy like Cena.

Eh, I can't say I'm all that excited about a Mysterio return, if it happens.

A handful of years ago, Mysterio could still go in the ring (the IC title feud with Jericho, his Royal Rumble match WHC match with The Undertaker, his feud with CM Punk), he was still capable of delivering good and great matches, but that's not the case anymore.

Recently, I can barely remember anything from Mysterio's brief stints, because he's on the shelf nursing another injury before he has a real chance to build any momentum. Father Time is catching up with Rey, and it's clear his body can't handle a fast paced style and the poundings now a days. Physically, he's not the same guy anymore, and Rey wrestling in a shirt to cover up his belly is one of the more glaring red flags.

Well Rey is money, even as a extremely limited version of his former self so no real surprises here. This is probably for the best for both parties, WWE gets the sales/profit to make up for Rey sitting at home for the majority of his contract and Rey gets to do whatever he wants come April. And if he can have a pass the torch type moment with Kalisto so much the better.

Of course I have no real interest in seeing him in the ring anymore, his last run was mostly tag matches where he just stood on the apron for most of the match and he still somehow got injured. I hope for WWE's sake they don't bring him back last Nov/early Dec because he's most likely not going to last 5 months. Make him the a surprise entrant in the RR(just not at 30) so he'll hopefully be around for all of WM season.

If Vince wants to keep him around then maybe they want to try to establish another Mexican Superstar. Sin Cara bombed and Del Rio is gone now. So you really don't have much for the Spanish fans.

I can see him coming back and working with the Lucha Dragons or maybe someone else. He will probably put over Rollins even more, and might even get whooped on my Rusev.

Also, with Luncha Underground being a pretty decent show maybe they try to use Rey to compete with that.

The point is he doesn't want to come back. It's been reported by many people Meltzer included, that Mysterio wants out of his contract. It should have been up by now, by because of his time off for Injuries, McMahon took the option to extend it by the length of time he's been away.

I can't even remember what he did to himself the last time, and I think it was right after Mania in the spring, but we haven't seen him since. Surely whatever it was must have healed a long time ago.

As much as some want to see him back, the guy wants out. I say let him go, his body is pretty much had it with years of taking bumps and the crazy stuff he does. When a wrestler's heart isn't in it anymore they will look horrible in the ring. He's put a lot of miles in working for the WWE and it's time to respect his wishes.

I understand why Vince would want Rey back. The guy can still sell merch, his masks are big sellers among children, and is still likely a decent draw. The Royal Rumble return aside, I think he could still get over.

If I'm being honest though, I'd rather Rey just retire. I used to be a pretty big fan of the guy, he could do things that few others could, but at his current age and with all the injuries he has racked up, he is basically a shell of his former self. He wrestles in a shirt now he has packed on so much extra weight. I just don't want to see a guy I used to be a huge fan of go out there and embarrass himself and ruin my positive memories of him.

If he could hold his health together, I think it would be awesome to give him a nice farewell run. Have some wins over Kidd, Los Matadores, maybe Cody Rhodes, Sin Cara and some other guys on the way to Wrestlemania. Have a really good build up and lose to someone like Bryan, or an NXT call up like Itami or Balor. I think that would be a nice sendoff

I wish the next time he's on WWE TV, it's for the WWE Hall of Fame. He needs to retire if he wants to be able to walk when he's old. His knees are done.

I respect HHH for thinking about the future. You can't depend on 40+ year old wrestlers to carry the company.

I wish the next time he's on WWE TV, it's for the WWE Hall of Fame. He needs to retire if he wants to be able to walk when he's old. His knees are done.

I respect HHH for thinking about the future. You can't depend on 40+ year old wrestlers to carry the company.

I agree with this, but what I wonder is he still getting paid like he would be if he was on the road? He has been at home for a while now. I wonder how is contract is and if he is getting paid.

I'm not read up on the situation. I know the WWE had in his contract if he was out for an injury they could extend his contract and they did...But he has been out for a while, and it seems that they are paying him to stay on with the WWE just so they can try to work out a deal.

I really don't want to see Mysterio return and embarrass himself in the ring. There's no shame in him admitting his time is up and his body can't handle the abuse any more. He's had a phenomenal run, and achieved far far more than anyone ever believed he would. Rey is a not only a lucha libre legend, but a professional wrestling legend and a guaranteed hall-of-famer. However, he's constantly injured now and doesn't want to be in WWE any longer, so I think Vince should let him go.

I understand why WWE want him back on TV as he does sell alot of merchandise, but with him putting on alot of excess weight, having knees that are likely to collapse at any time and no desire to remain with the company, I think his next "run" should and will be his last in WWE.

Anyone else thinking Vince is being his crazy stubborn self again and planning on making someone else into Rey Mysterio like he did with Sin Cara, fake Diesel and Razor Ramon?

Maybe he will try Adrian Neville or Primo as Rey Mysterio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back