Reporter vs ESPN/WWE

OldSchoolWrestlingFan

Pre-Show Stalwart
So reporter Michael Bradley said in a recent article about ESPN covering WWE...........

“Forging alliances with legitimate leagues is one thing,” Bradley writes. Trying to build an audience by making something that isn’t real sport seem more legitimate is far more cynical and potentially explosive. First comes the WWE. Then come full highlights of the Globetrotters’ next game. After all, that team has fans all around the world.”

I see many of you replying to the report about ESPN covering Poker, Spelling Bees, etc - which I certainly believe ESPN shouldn't cover either, but I also agree they have no business covering WWE!!

I am a fan of RASSLIN as much as anybody out there but I also know that it's FAKE & NOT A SPORT!! The only "sports" thing about it is the physical bumps the guys take but beyond that it is a choreographed routine w/ predetermined outcomes & has no business being covered on ESPN (neither does poker, spelling, etc)!!

So all you MARKS go ahead and attack him and me but onething you cannot change is that he was partially right & ESPN shouldn't be tweeting Wrestlemania results, etc! ITS NOT NEEDED! Oh let me guess.......ITS STILL REAL TO YOU?!

193129082d46c5ecdb9fd1cf42632ba28752019bcb663b0c02b88a1b2f4e3d44.jpg

I feel uncomfortable criticizing the author and OP. Whether they were born with sticks up their assholes or they chose to have those sticks surgically implanted they still suffer and can't be held accountable for their thoughts.

Who cares? Has Fox News made itself and other news outlets so much a part of the news that we are now lumping a "sports" network in to that distraction of a conversation? Can't we keep our ombudmenship on Brian Williams, not Bill O'Reilly, The NY Times, The Daily Show, and that one ridiculous guy on the internet?

When ESPN started the E stood for Entertainment. Wrestling was part of their programming. They include celebrities and non-athletes all the time. There are millions of other places to still get sports news. ESPN itself has 14 stations along with it's other endeavors. Brock Lesnar and others were legitimate sports stars at some point. Wrestling and sports have clear crossover appeal. They said shit on Twitter, good lord that nothing. Sports and sports journalism are not exactly the epitome of integrity, fairness, and legitimacy.

Plus, get your own mega media conglomerate if you don't want wrestling involved.

Jesus who has got time to care?

Let ESPN cover it if they want, not like they don't need the content and it's not like they don't want to get WWE's sizeable audience watching.

Jesus who has got time to care?

Let ESPN cover it if they want, not like they don't need the content and it's not like they don't want to get WWE's sizeable audience watching.

Who has time to care?! APPARENTLY YOU DO......you took time to reply! OOPS!!

And THEY NEED THE CONTENT?! :banghead: Spoken like a true non-sports fan!! ESPN was a multi-billion dollar company long before they started covering WWE - get real!

What the hell, the Entertainment & Sports Programming Network covering Sports Entertainment? F those bastards right in the A.

The first word is Entertainment. Thus the company expands into other forms of programming their demographics might enjoy. If Disney saw fit they would run Dancing with the Stars on ESPN.

Pro-wrestling and pro- sports have always had cross-over appeal. ALWAYS. If you were a "rassling" fan, you would get that. This isn't the first time that the WWE has been covered by massive sports conglomerates and it won't be the last. So basically, get over it?

Anyway, I have no clue what this guy is even trying to insinuate. What's so potentially explosive about having Brock Lesnar say he's going to WWE? Some people need to get the stick out of their asses. Wrestling was considered legitimate for many years before kayfabe was broken.

Why is this a big deal?? If ESPN wants to cover WWE, that's on them. It's their network, so they can put any show on. I don't like them covering golf (I find it boring), but ESPN chooses to cover it. Some hate poker or spelling bees covered by ESPN, but again they made the decision to cover it. I have no issues with them doing what they want to cover. If you owned a network it's YOUR choice on what you want your network to cover. Sure wrestling isnt real, but they are still just as athletic as pro golfers are and the E in ESPN stands for entertainment, just like WWE's E stands for, so I see no issue here. Reporters or fans can disagree with ESPN, they have the right to their opinion, but ESPN has the right to ignore said reporter or fan.

ESPN used to actually show pro-wrestling on the network. In fact I think they still have a lot of the AWA footage that WWE does not own.

I'm any event WWE makes a tremendous amount of money and uses the same arenas as basketball and football teams, they have a world class training facility similar to the NFL and NBA, many wrestlers come from sports backgrounds either being bodybuilders, amateur wrestling, or football, some even played basketball. WWE is also starting to really get into fitness (which Vince has been into for 25-30 years going back to the WBF).

I think this boils down to people who dislike wrestling really wanting to keep it boxed in as something shunned by the mainstream media, sad to tell them though but when Ronda Rousey, Floyd Mayweather and other huge sports figures are getting involved then "legitimate" sports outlets can't ignore it.

Well, back in the 90's they used to air AWA and GWF in a weekly time slot. And ESPN is very entertainment oriented also. Fox news has basically made their look to match ESPN's look.
I do understand why they don't want to cover it, the competition isn't in the matches, they are the show, but the competition is in the ability to get over. And that's not really a sport.
But who knows, its very popular and there's money in it for ESPN. So if they decide to start covering it, AGAIN, they might start slow like tweeting results and airing some of the documentaries like Monday night war on ESPN.

I left this part out and it's really the most important thing: WWE is huge and makes millions of dollars, I know I mentioned it before but it's a bigger deal than many understand.

ESPN doesn't cover some sports as much due to the lack of popularity and the fact they don't generate that much money. There are a lot of sports that are rarely discussed on ESPN for that fact.

Once you reach a certain level of popularity and you begin to generate a lot of revenue then the spotlight moves to you. This is why ESPN hardly covers MMA but they will cover UFC because UFC generated alot of money an is a hugely popular brand.

ESPN choses not to cover certain brands and certain sports because they don't generate enough interest.

Also, in Canada, Raw and Smackdown actually air on a sports network and the shows are usually followed by a half hour discussion program (featuring Jimmy Corderas!...)

This is news now?

Also, in Canada, Raw and Smackdown actually air on a sports network and the shows are usually followed by a half hour discussion program (featuring Jimmy Corderas!...)

This is news now?

He's right they air on Sportsnet 360, and there is a program called Aftermath which includes former WWE ref Jimmy Corderas right after. I've been watching it on Sportsnet for years now.

With regards to ESPN, who gives a shit what they put on their network. It's their network. If non fans don't want to watch the wrestling coverage, then don't, just as I don't watch ping pong coverage. These channels try to cater to a broad range of people, and Wrestlemania was all over the news last week. It would have been stupid for them not to be involved.

I just don't see why it's such a big deal that ESPN covered part of Wrestlemania.

Hahahaha - you RASSLIN marks are so funny! I set & read your defense of a sports network broadcasting info about A SCRIPTED SHOW!! UFC is real guys - ITS REAL.....they actually fight to a finish they don't have a family of millionaires telling them who should win!! I've already said that I feel ESPN shouldn't have Poker, Spelling Bees, etc so all of those points are invalid but he'll even they are more real than RASSLIN! And I love how yall bring in the AWA :lmao: and what Canada does :wtf: like those are valid points on the subject! Hahahahaha!

There is no difference in ESPN broadcasting info about WWE ( A SCRIPTED SHOW - I REPEAT......A SCRIPTED SHOW - THEY DONT REALLY FIGHT TO SEE WHO IS THE REAL BAD ASS LIKE UFC ) than if they would start broadcasting stuff about Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Etc - it is just as fake as any of those shows. WWE are a bunch of actors/stunt men that act out live action stories for us each week. Sure I enjoy it & will probably continue watching - but I will also continue watching all of the SCRIPTED SHOWS I enjoy! THERE IS NO LEGETIMACY ABOUT WWE, accept the bumps they take. ITS NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS UFC & BELLATOR - And don't bring up Brock Lesnar (he's my favorite by the way) because that's exactly why he stayed in WWE because the stuff is scripted & worked out so he don't have as much potential harm to his body/mind basically ITS EASIER! He's getting older, has kids, etc and wanted to have something easier on him & his family!

Have a great day ;)

Hahahaha - you RASSLIN marks are so funny! I set & read your defense of a sports network broadcasting info about A SCRIPTED SHOW!! UFC is real guys - ITS REAL.....they actually fight to a finish they don't have a family of millionaires telling them who should win!! I've already said that I feel ESPN shouldn't have Poker, Spelling Bees, etc so all of those points are invalid but he'll even they are more real than RASSLIN! And I love how yall bring in the AWA :lmao: and what Canada does :wtf: like those are valid points on the subject! Hahahahaha!

There is no difference in ESPN broadcasting info about WWE ( A SCRIPTED SHOW - I REPEAT......A SCRIPTED SHOW - THEY DONT REALLY FIGHT TO SEE WHO IS THE REAL BAD ASS LIKE UFC ) than if they would start broadcasting stuff about Walking Dead, Agents of Shield, Etc - it is just as fake as any of those shows. WWE are a bunch of actors/stunt men that act out live action stories for us each week. Sure I enjoy it & will probably continue watching - but I will also continue watching all of the SCRIPTED SHOWS I enjoy! THERE IS NO LEGETIMACY ABOUT WWE, accept the bumps they take. ITS NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE AS UFC & BELLATOR - And don't bring up Brock Lesnar (he's my favorite by the way) because that's exactly why he stayed in WWE because the stuff is scripted & worked out so he don't have as much potential harm to his body/mind basically ITS EASIER! He's getting older, has kids, etc and wanted to have something easier on him & his family!

Have a great day ;)

Seriously what do you give a shit what ESPN puts on their airwaves. You call yourself "Oldschoolwrestlingfan" yet you complain about wrestling coverage. You should be glad that the mainstream media even bothers to cover it at all. Sounds to me like you're having a fit over nothing.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

There's the definition of sport. WWE definitely come under those parameters. At the end of the day it's more of a sport than the likes of darts and horse racing etc.

I don't get why people have a problem with ESPN covering whatever the hell they want. Let me guess, you get annoyed when non sports channels show the Olympics or football matches?

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

There's the definition of sport. WWE definitely come under those parameters. At the end of the day it's more of a sport than the likes of darts and horse racing etc.

OMG AGAIN WITH HE DARTS & HORSE RACING!! :banghead::banghead:

You have still missed the point WWE is fake - EVEN HORSE RACING HAS AN ACTUAL WINNER, THAT IS BASED ON PHYSICAL ABILITY - WWE IS FAKE, ITS PREDETERMINED, THEY DONT ACTUALLY COMPETE - Man you marks are so set on making your point you keep missing the biggest point of all! WWE/TNA, ETC IS FAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

Man you marks are so set on making your point you keep missing the biggest point of all! WWE/TNA, ETC IS FAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

You say "you marks" like we're the minority. You realize nobody has agreed with you on this point... not one person. When not even one person follows the same line of thinking as you, it usually means you're wrong.

Having read your (odd) original post and your childish responses, I've come to the following conclusions.

Firstly you should probably grow up a tad (just a eensy weensy bit) and secondly you very clearly enjoy being part of the minority, being 'special'. Since ESPN is covering the WWE there are more people that will be exposed to it and you really don't seem to like that. So instead you insult others and even the product you proclaim to like.

"Rasslin is FAKE! It's really stupid, you shouldn't watch it! IT'S MINE TO ENJOY!"

Seriously what do you give a shit what ESPN puts on their airwaves. You call yourself "Oldschoolwrestlingfan" yet you complain about wrestling coverage. You should be glad that the mainstream media even bothers to cover it at all. Sounds to me like you're having a fit over nothing.

Thanks for this Navi, it needed saying. Wrestling getting air time AT ALL is super important.

I used to be annoyed by it being on Sky Sports over here when I was first considering wrestling to be "definitely not a sport" and then considered that it could be on way more obscure channels gathering dust.

It's not like people still believe wrestling is real anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back