Repairing Sport Teams

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I think at some point we have all pondered what we would do if we owned or was in a position of power to fix a team. Rather it be our favorite team or a team that has consistently floundered over the years. If given ample control, which team would you fix? It can be any team of any league. College ranks, pros, ect. Which team would you fix?

Basketball has always been my sport so I would have to roll with arguably the leagues worst professional team in the 76ers.

I believe the team has done a good job with recently adding Eltan Brand to the team as a player mentor. This is a good move to bring this guy who had been retired to bring him back into the fold as a veteran and mentor for Okafor and Noel. We have to remember that Okafor is only two years removed from High School after a one and done pit stop at Duke. Certainly has to be frustrating to be on a pedestal and a cobsistent winner to be drafted by a team with no direction and no true veteran presence.

With Brand I would bring in Shane Battier as an assistant coach. Battier wasn't an all-star but was a great defensive presence and an ambassador for any team he played for in his lengthy career. Bringing him in adds a man that's familar with the league from a player standpoint and has the knowledge of how to mentally adapt to playing under the pressures of bad teams and playing for star studded teams.

Who I would keep: Nerlens Noel, Jahlil Okafor and Ish Smith are no brainers and obviously the only bright spots on this team.

Draft: Ben Simmons is worth drafting and is head and shoulders above any Collegiate talent if the College basketball season was to end today. Never mind the LBJ comparisons but this guy possess a great diverse skill set that this team needs.

Additions: This team could benefit from acquiring a talent like Bradley Beal at the two and perhaps a Mike Conley who Ish Smith can backup. With the salary cap increasing theyll be in a good position to spend wisely. Those would be my first options but I would also look at Dennis Scheroder(clearly mispelling this guys last name) as a perfect fit for this team.

This team has seen MCW get traded for a first pound pick that isn't guaranteed. It's only guaranteed if the Lakers fall outside the top 5 - well looking at the Kobe Lakers this is rapidly working against the 76ers. KJ McDaniels who looked like a bright spot last season was for whatever reason traded. Bad front off decisions. Sam Hinkie would be the first person gone.

Gone: Kendall Marshall who recently returned to the team after coming off an ACL injury would be gone, Brett Brown would be gone. Joel Embiid who has yet to suit up would also be gone. I'd bring in a nice shooter like JJ Barea and the likes of a Ed Davis to clean up the glass when Noel or Okafor are resting.

Head Coach: I think I would take a chance on Tyronn Lue. He has mentored under Doc Rivers before heading to Cleveland. He is a hot young commidity who like Brand and Battier have years of NBA experience. If anyone knows what it's like to handle the pressures of playing on bad teams, it's him.

Jerry Colangelo would remain my Chairman of Basketball. It is hard to overlooj the success he had with the Phoenix Suns. While he was with the Suns he turned them into a legitimate playoff contender. Mike D’Antoni would remain assistant coach - or whatever they define that position today.

When it comes to rebuilding an NBA team, the first things to focus on are always the draft and free agency. After those two things are taken care of, the next thing to evaluate is the head coaching position. After that, then the team should try like hell to get good players that are on the trading block. Once these things are taken care of, any NBA team should be able to put together are fairly decent squad and be able to have a pretty successful year.

Look at the Clippers. They got Blake Griffin in the draft, had a pretty crappy season with their only bright spot being Griffin, then in the next season, they get CP3 from New Orleans in a trade because he was coming up on free agency and he had made it clear that he was leaving. So New Orleans didn't want CP3 to leave without getting something for him. After CP3 went to the Clippers, they attracted a lot of attention from other free agents, such as Billups (who was still good that season) and Caron Butler. All of a sudden, the Clippers go from sucking to one of the elite teams in the league in the course of one off season. So repairing professional teams is something that definitely can be done.

The 76ers still have a lot of work to do, however, they're on the right path with drafting Okafor (still don't know why the Lakers didn't draft him) and bringing back Brand. They just need a few more things to really turn it around. They should have a very good position in the next draft coming up. So that will give them the opportunity to get yet another high draft pick and franchise player. I think things are looking up for the Sixers.

If the Lakers do not get the first, second or third selection, they lose the draft pick that the 76ers acquired altogether. If the Lakers successfully get through the lottery in May, they will owe their 2017 first-rounder to the 76ers, also with top-three protection. The big names this summer include Kevin Durant, Hassan Whiteside, Al Horford, DeMar DeRozan, Mike Conley, Nicolas Batum and Ryan Anderson. Plus increases salary cap. Surely the 76ers could make a run for someone like Mike Conley.

If I were the Sixers, I'd go for Derozan and try and get a good PG out of the draft. If they do that then they'd have scoring from Derozan plus two up and coming youngsters that could serve their franchise for years to come.

With DeRozan admitting he would like to stay with the Raptors, it makes it hard for them to lure him. I believe this season will dictate if he wants to remain there long term. Needless to say he can stay on Toronto and be a perennial playoff team vs a team like 76ers that isn't quite close to being a legitimate playoff team.

I'll go with the Brooklyn Nets because they need it with no first round pick this year and they just fired their head coach and basically their general manager. Lionel Hollins was never the fit for the Nets. I really like him as a coach but he needs a defensive centre to help his system a lot instead of an offensive one. In saying that though the first thing I am doing is telling Brook Lopez that I am keeping him and unless he wants to leave he can enjoy Brooklyn. After that I look to trade Thad Young. It'll be hard because he just signed a 4 year 50 million deal but with the cap rising you might be able to get him to a contender. I think he would really suit the Pacers now if you keep George at the 3 full time. He could also suit teams like Memphis, Washington or Toronto. So I call one of those teams and try and get some sort of pick for this year as well as some young players. None of those teams have any young players to go after so maybe you get just a cap burner for the year. I also keep Bogdonavic and Wayne Ellington. These players aren't great but can shoot and will get ya some points. Something you desperately need when you are a losing team. Hollis - Jefferson keeps on starting and I see what Willie Reed does. Everyone else on the team can go. I look to sign Rondo in the off season even though it probably wont happen but that is the sort of player I go for. Maybe someone that can shoot a bit better but I want my point guard to be aware of Brook Lopez at all times. I would spend big for someone like Batum and Jordan Clarkson. I'll also try and get Ryan Anderson as well for one year and see how he and Lopez turn out. I know these signings are a bit unrealistic but they are my targets and who knows, maybe Batum or Anderson sign a inflated contract for a bad team or sign a sort term contract to get ready for their last big contract.

As for coaching I think you go for a young coach because you got enough veteran players that don't need the actual coaching at the time. So you can use it to build a super coach aka Brad Stevens or Quin Snyder. So I'm not sure where you can go for that. Luke Walton? Tyrone Lue? Patrick Ewing has been a assistant long enough to maybe be given a gig. Monty Williams wouldn't be a bad pick up as well. I really think he is an underrated coach.

It's all about the draft in a few years though so whatever gets me picks for that I go for them unless I get a combination of players I mention above.

Ugh the Nets. The Brooklyn Nets owner acted like the team would never have to pay a price for its actions — all of which were only focused on immediate gratification, and paid no attention to the possible ramifications down the road. The owner insulted the integrity of the league by believing his billions of dollars would be the pitch.

The Nets front office put themselves in this position. Going after a past his prime Joe Johnson (who actually is the highest paid player in the league this year) and the old Boston players. The first thing you have to do to get out of a hole is stop digging and maybe they've done that with their recent moves, however, they still have a ways to go.

If I were the Nets, I'd use my only real piece, which is Joe Johnson, and try and unload him and his giant salary to a contending team that might just need that extra piece to be put over the edge. Maybe a team like Washington or the Mavericks. Hell, maybe even OKC could use a veteran 2 guard that could add experience and scoring. Maybe even shop Johnson around for draft picks since they basically have none till 2018. Idk, but I think Johnson needs to go. Definitely let Lopez know that he's staying and that he's the one that needs to be built around. So yes, they need a pass first PG like Rondo, but one that could shoot would be better. Maybe even try and get Josh Smith from the Clippers and Lance Stephenson since Doc is making it clear that they're expendable. If they did these things, they'd be in pretty good territory.

I honestly don't have a solution for Brooklyn. Nobody wants that Joe Johnson contract, Lopez has yet to play a full season in 4 or 5 seasons and Jarrett Jackson wasn't/isn't a true PG. I guess you could try to trade Lopez, Young or Bogs.

2016 first round pick: Unprotected to Boston

2017 first round pick: Boston has swap rights

2018 first round pick: I believe is unprotected to Boston

Their next first round pick is 2019. A bunch of their second round picks are traded away as well. It's an easy 7-10 year process to properly rebuild this team. If they started today.

Most people didn't even think the Pierce/Garnett deal was so clearly lopsided at the time. The thought was this could help Brooklyn become a contender, and the picks wouldn't be that high anyway. Hindsight is 20/20.

All I can say is watch out for the Celtics in a season or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back