Remembering The Goalies: Tommy Salo

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
I thought I would try and create some discussion on some former goalies of the past 20 years in the NHL, and maybe further back. Many of them were good goalies who had suffered a set back, and lost their edge, following from the Hockey Cradle, to the Hockey Graveyard. I would like to start out with a former great Swedish Goalie, Tommy Salo.

Tommy Salo was a two time NHL All Star, playing in ten seasons for the Avalanche, Islanders and Oilers. He will however be remembered for one of the worst goals against I have ever seen in the NHL.

Now many goalies let in a bad goal every now and then, but this was one of the worst in history, causing Sweden's elimination in the 2002 Olympics, against a very poor Belarus team. Canada would go on to win, and Sweden would seek redemption, winning in 2006.

After that goal, Salo's career would hardly be the same again, as his GAA would rise, his SV% would drop, and he would only last two more years in the NHL, before going back to Sweden to play, finally retiring two years ago.

A man who went from a fantastic starting goalie, to a joke in the NHL will always be remembered for one misplay that took away his memories, which included a gold medal from 1994.

[YOUTUBE]kqp19EdCvJg[/YOUTUBE]​

As a Rangers fan, this is what Salo is best remembered for. Screw his time in Edmonton, his all-star appearances, and anything else he ever accomplished. He talked a lot of shit with the Islanders, and routinely got involved where he shouldn't have.

Only this time, Cloutier was the goalie on the other end of the ice...The same goalie that was suspended for 20 (I think) games for punching a ref in the AHL. He beat the tar out of Salo, and then threatened the bench. Still brings a tear to my eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back