Remakes/Covers

What are your opinions of song remakes/covers? Which one is your favorite and why?

I have a few favorites but right now it'd have to be the remake of Close My Eyes Forever by David Draiman and Lzzy Hale. Those two voices go so well together it's like a modern day Ozzy and Lita Ford. Actually if you close your eyes you'd swear you were hearing Lita Ford instead of Lzzy Hale because the two sound so much a like.

I'm at school where we're not allowed access to youtube :suspic: but when I get home I'll post the song.

[YOUTUBE]eGuPViQChR0[/YOUTUBE]

This is Close My Eyes Forever remade by David Draiman and Lzzy Hale as part of Draiman's new project Device. And yes I bought the album.

What are your opinions of song remakes/covers? Which one is your favorite and why?

I generally like remakes/covers. They are a chance to see how other bands perform songs that in most cases were already good in their original form. The best covers are those that are even better than the original. My personal favorite is Come On Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot. The original version was done by Slade. The original is an awesome song in its own right and I love both versions of the song, but the Quiet Riot version destroys the older version and is vastly superior.

[YOUTUBE]PWuWw-zpnAY[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favorite songs ever, and easily my favorite song when it comes to covers. I almost always find the original to be better than a remake/cover but that is not the case here.

Covers of songs are VERY hit and miss because you could end up with one of the worst sounding pieces of horse manure if you don't get it just right - especially if it's a very well known song being covered. They can be awesome too, but it's always very hard to compete with the original song. Probably the best cover ever is Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails. He didn't just cover the song, he perfected it.

[YOUTUBE]l95D7leeU3w[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a massive fan of video game covers too, mainly because of the nostalgia of hearing classic video game themes again and the shivers it sends down your spine as you remember the good times you had playing a great game with a great soundtrack.
My friend heard me playing the song of storms from Zelda on guitar and linked me this youtuber called familyjules7x, short story shorter, I think I'm in love.

[YOUTUBE]AW7_JGgf37A[/YOUTUBE]

I'm going way back here, but I highly recommend Isaac Hayes version of the Beatles' hit "Something". It's probably little known, but Hayes turned this into a 12 minute epic with piano, violins, and French horns. I couldn't find a mobile clip on YouTube, but check it out if you get a chance.

I generally like remakes/covers. They are a chance to see how other bands perform songs that in most cases were already good in their original form. The best covers are those that are even better than the original. My personal favorite is Come On Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot. The original version was done by Slade. The original is an awesome song in its own right and I love both versions of the song, but the Quiet Riot version destroys the older version and is vastly superior.

[YOUTUBE]PWuWw-zpnAY[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favorite songs ever, and easily my favorite song when it comes to covers. I almost always find the original to be better than a remake/cover but that is not the case here.

This song is easily one of the greatest remakes ever. Quiet Riot nailed this one and then some. Absolutely great song. Original was good but the remake was amazing.

When it comes to cover songs, Gary Jules' Mad World is my #1 favourite cover. The original version of this song was done by Tears For Fears and it is just...awful. Which is a shame cause I like Tears For Fears and Sowing The Seeds Of Love is another favourite of mines, I have it on my mp3. The piano and the slow, dark tone of Gary Jules' version goes a lot better with the lyrics of the song, and the song always give me chills everytime I listen to it.

[youtube]DHtcliIvnHI[/youtube]

The Pet Shop Boys have some great covers and I'd say they're my favourite artists when it comes to making cover songs. Go West is my second favourite cover from them and Always On My Mind is first. I liked Willie Nelson's & Elvis' version of Always On My Mind but PSB's synthpop sound helps me enjoy their version more. I also have PSB's version of the song on my mp3.

[youtube]bCSXd5s3QJE[/youtube]

This song was in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. This version of Just The Two Of Us is beautiful, it's a tribute to Will's son, Trey. I'm not a father but even I get a little emotional whenever I listen to this. The lyrics are sweet and the beat is smooth.

[youtube]_WamkRSDeD8[/youtube]

I'm not a fan of Puff Daddy, I am a fan of hip-hop and Led Zeppelin's Kashmir and I just love this combination, they sound incredible together. Puffy makes his version stronger & aggresive and he does a great job at getting you so hyped & pumped up with this.

[youtube]rxuodY-c0yU[/youtube]

I enjoy cover songs if they are good that is. Some of my all time favorite cover songs are from a personal favorite band of mine: Metallica. Their cover of Bob Segars's Turn the Page is amazing. They made that song their own. Another one is Whiskey In The Jar, such a great cover. Metallica is one of the best bands to produce covers in my honest opinion. They always find a way to make the song their whilst keeping the roots of the song original.

In general I don't like remakes but I like the idea behind them. (I sound like my ex-girlfriend describing our relationship, badoomching) Like, entertainment has its own spectrum; it's not physical, and as far as we currently know, it's limitless, so there's enough space for everything. Just because I hate the current new Batman movies; if everyone else loves it, you know, I can just not watch them, for example. So it makes sense if you convert that idea to movies, to make covers; it doesn't ERASE the original, and if you don't like them, just don't listen to them, you know?

That being said, the Suicide Machines cover of End of the World as We Know It by REM
[YOUTUBE]N3yLtnNF6yM[/YOUTUBE]

And Strung Out's Cover of Bark at the Moon
[YOUTUBE]dSnePING6IA[/YOUTUBE]

are personal favorites of mine when it comes to covers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back