• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Referees role in pro-wrestling

prosenfi

Dark Match Winner
Before I begin, I just want to say that this thread pertains to ALL wrestling companies (WWE, TNA, ROH, etc.).

It seems like the referee has become a lot more important to the match than they have been in the past. The referee's main role has always been to relay information from the back to the wrestlers during the match. To the viewer, they always seem to be a step behind the audience (i.e. turn their back when a face is being double teamed, etc.) But lately, the referees are being given too much influence and control over the finish of the match.

In WWE, HHH vs. Brock Lesnar, the referee was called out on Raw the next night and told good job for letting the match continue. What was the point of that? It wasn't even needed, in my opinion. Then, Night of Champions into Raw tonight. Again the referees make 2 controversial calls, influencing the end of the match, which had no point.

TNA has a history of referees getting physical with the wrestlers during their matches, circa Shane Sewell and Brian Hebner (kicked a wrestler's hands off a rope during a pinfall).

I know I'm rambling, but basically, my question is: Does the ref really need to screw with the finish of the match as often as they do? Or are they better served in their previous capacity of "being seen, but not heard"?

What are you talking about about? Referees have always been just as involved on a show or match as they are today. Recall the Hebner twins back in 1987 or the nWo ref Slick Johnson. Hell, crooked refs have been a staple of WWC here since the 80's. A ref has just a major role in a match as the wrestlers. It's always been like that.

I always thought the referee was a huge part of the match. Look at some of the biggest NWA matches in the 80s with Tommy Young officiating. To me, that guy was just as important to the match as the wrestlers. Watch his emotion and how he called the match. The man was amazing and should be in the Hall of Fame.

Some people argue the ref has the toughest job in the ring. I disagree, but it isn't easy. What little experience I have with it personally, roughly 20 matches, my job was to be one step behind everyone else, like was mentioned. That is harder than it seems, especially when you don't know what move is coming next.

There was been a recent rise in refs being involved in non match segments, I will agree there, but they have always been a fairly large part of match and sometimes story lines themselves. Personally I like when the refs show a little emotion and stand up for themselves, it makes it all the more hilarious when a ref bump occurs and they are out for twenty minutes.

They have a very important part to play. Usually not catching your attention but occasionally being crucial in the ending of a match, the referees have a tough job.

They have to ensure they count the pinfall at the right moment, display the correct level of emotion in the ring, relay information to the wrestlers from the back about when it is "time to go home", ensure they stay off camera as much as possible and even take the occasional bump.

Plus, they can be incorporated into a storyline when neccesary, like has happened with the likes of Earl Hebner on several occasions and Nick Patrick in WCW. I am not really a fan of ref bumps, but they can definitely get the heel more heat when done correctly. TNA overuse them though for sure, especially when Jeff Jarrett was on top. It seemed like every PPV main event had the referee getting taken out about 3 times.

While they aren't supposed to distract from the storyline between the wrestlers, I've never thought of them as people to be "seen and not heard."

From my personal experience, the prominence of referees storyline-wise tends to go in cycles. Every few years or so, the referees are incorporated more prominently into storylines. Some are bought off or crooked (see: Danny Davis/Hart Foundation), some just get tired of being pushed around. Earl Hebner and his involvement in multiple storylines is a good example (kicking HHH's arm off the rope to show he wouldn't be intimidated, his feud with Nick Patrick during Invasion, etc.).

It's not that surprising, especially considering just how much power a referee holds in kayfabe. They make the ultimate decision as to who wins the match. In kayfabe, the wrestlers are supposed to do what he/she tells them to do. They miss one thing, and it might cost someone a title or even a career. Wrestlers regularly intimidate referees because a scared referee will more likely make certain decisions to avoid being attacked. They realize if they can get some hold over the referee, then they have some hold over that ref's power.

I also wouldn't be suprised that some of the recent referee controversy is in response to the recent controversies surrounding NFL referees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back