• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reading the script for Django Unchained

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I saw Django Unchained last night. As expected, the movie was brilliant, and I left in awe of Quentin Tarantino's ability to tell a story. It was much more in the style of Inglorious Bastards, in that it's a pretty straight forward plot that doesn't do a whole lot of time jumping or character shifting. Everyone was brilliant, save for the random appearance from Quentin himself that was a bit self-serving.

So I downloaded the script earlier today, and I'm talking with a friend of mine out in Hollywood; he works for a production company, and filters all the scripts that get sent to the producers for consideration. First of all, the movie was cut down...a lot. You're traditional script is between 100-120 pages; any more and a producer will generally look at it and throw it away. You don't want a movie too short, nor too long. THis is in the range of ~160, and the movie itself was ~2:45:00. So if he had put everything he wrote into the film, you're looking at a 4-hour movie.

The biggest reason things were trimmed down was scheduling conflicts. The character Quentin played was written as a much more significant character in the script. He was supposed to be a pretty large part of the story, and from what I've ready so far was really cool and complex. However, the actor that was supposed to play him - are you ready for this? JOSEPH GORDON LEVITT - dropped out shortly before filming to direct his own project. So Quentin toned down the character and filled the role himself to save time finding a new actor.

Also, both Sacha Baron Cohen and Russell Crowe were scheduled to play roles in the film, but had to drop out because they were filming Les Mis at the same time. I believe Cohen's role was given to...

Jonah Hill.

Anyways...the movie was brilliant, but the script is better. I wish Quentin could have directed the movie he wrote, but shit happens and the project turned out masterful regardless. If anybody is interested, I can help you get a hold of a script to read.

DC comics is taking Quinton's first draft of the script, & turning it into 5 issue miniseries. The first issue was released a like 2 weeks ago, with the artwork being done by R.M. Guera, who's probably best known the the comic world for his work on Scalped (a terrific series written by Jason Aaron, & published through DC's Vertigo line). I personally can't think of a better artist for this project. So anyone who really wants to read the first draft of the script, I recommend reading it in comic form.

Oh I heard about Scalped! I'll definitely be checking this out though, when I get a bit of extra cash I can spend. My friend got me book one of Akira for Christmas, and I'm psyched to read through that. It's been a long time.

Somehow, when Tarrentino sat down to pen Django, I'm not sure he thought "alright...gotta make a movie to contend with an animated piece about video games. What to do? I KNOW SLAVERY!"

I thought it was a very good film. I tried not to get too hyped and end up disappointed. That happens a lot, and I can say I was successful this time.

One girl setting in back of me remarked to whoever she was with that she didn't expect the movie to be so graphic. That kind of made me giggle inside a little.

There was a girl sitting behind me - I won't bother mentioning her ethnicity - who kept talking to the movie. It was mostly annoying, but there were some gems. My favorite:

Without spoiling too much, there's a scene where Sam Jackson figures something out, and looks SUPER serious. The girl - who again, I won't point out her race...or...color - said quite loudly, "Ooooo child, Morgan Freeman knows what's up!"

Good god, I did not have it in me to refrain from looking straight at her and laughing my ass off. She looked like she felt really stupid. Which made me happy.

There was a girl sitting behind me - I won't bother mentioning her ethnicity - who kept talking to the movie. It was mostly annoying, but there were some gems. My favorite:

Without spoiling too much, there's a scene where Sam Jackson figures something out, and looks SUPER serious. The girl - who again, I won't point out her race...or...color - said quite loudly, "Ooooo child, Morgan Freeman knows what's up!"

Good god, I did not have it in me to refrain from looking straight at her and laughing my ass off. She looked like she felt really stupid. Which made me happy.

In all fairness, Django was the type of movie a little audience participation goes good with... though I'd probably be pissed off at her too, I HATE when people do anything during a movie that makes noise, light, anything. There was some bitch in front of me during Cloud Atlas that kept asking her friends about what was going on. Bitch, if you're too stupid to follow the film, get out and go watch Twilight or some shit.

In all fairness, Django was the type of movie a little audience participation goes good with... though I'd probably be pissed off at her too, I HATE when people do anything during a movie that makes noise, light, anything. There was some bitch in front of me during Cloud Atlas that kept asking her friends about what was going on. Bitch, if you're too stupid to follow the film, get out and go watch Twilight or some shit.

I refuse to watch any movies with one of my friends because she constantly asks questions. I used to tell her she'd find out if she shutup and watched the movie. Then I just started ignoring her questions. Now, I just won't watch them with her period. Shit annoys the hell out of me.

I had some dude doing that shit when I saw Book of Eli a few yrs. ago, which is really not a difficult film to follow at all. I had to eventually lean forward & tell him that I paid to see a movie not listen to his dumbass commentary, & if he didn't shut the fuck up I was going to kick his chair until he did. He stopped.

My favorite Tarantino film ever, the ending was just great.

Also I know people talking through the movie is bad but there are a ton of movies that need crowd participation when you first see or else you don't get the same enjoyment out of it.

I'm hitting the cinema tomorrow night and this is the film I might end up watching. Is there a scene where I can yell "run, bitch, run!" or the like and draw a few chuckles? If there is, post it in spoiler tags, plz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back