• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Re-Instate Knockout Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
This thread is pretty basic...Should TNA reinstate the position of "Knockout Law", once held by Traci Brooks?

I think they should. Traci would still even be a candidate to fill the job, since she's not getting a ton of ring time, and isn't all that good to begin with. I'm not just saying to put her there, and make her referee the matches. I'm saying to have her as a full-time "commissioner" of the division, making matches, "booking" rivalries, and cutting promos.

The division has grown, and has proven to be a draw, and should be treated as such. Giving it a separate head honcho would certainly be a start...

NSL, I don't see the purpose. Does the X-Division have its own "X-Division Law"? What about the Global Title? Does that follow under the "Global Law?" I could go on and on, but the point is obvious. Why should there be a completely separate person running that division of TNA?

Personally, I find the addition of so many "General Managers" and "Commissioners" and "Consultants" to be mildly annoying. It's worked off-and-on for years, of coure, but right now it seems at an all-time high. Every company seems to have someone in that type of position, and it's frankly watered the idea down for me.

From the fact that the Knockout matches consistently get the highest ratings on TNA broadcasts, I'd say they're already doing something fairly right in that area of programming. What real purpose would such a role serve? (That's a legitimate question, one I'm hoping people respond to with ideas/answers/opinions.)

NSL, I don't see the purpose. Does the X-Division have its own "X-Division Law"? What about the Global Title? Does that follow under the "Global Law?" I could go on and on, but the point is obvious. Why should there be a completely separate person running that division of TNA?

Those "divisions" don't have a separate person in charge because they're all men, and can all go for any title (they can, but most won't).

As far as what purpose it would serve, it's pretty simple. The division right now is starting to crumble, and mostly because of the drunken redneck holding the singles title, and the tag team champions having no opponents. If you put someone in as Knockout Law, it gives you a figurehead who can make teams and book matches without any "real" reason, and get it back on track. It was basically the reason it was put in there in the first place.

It doesn't have to be Traci either. I'm sure they can find someone from outside to come in, and after 3 or 4 months of whipping them into shape, they can bow out gracefully. Under the current booking, they can even just be an "advisor" to Foley, showing him how to fix it and keep it going forward. Too many times the division has lost direction, and I don't think this would be a bad idea for a quick fix.

I think it makes sense in kayfabe. There is (or should be) someone in charge of writing the women's division, right? He reports to Russo, but he is responsible for Knockout storylines, etc.

So why shouldn't the Commissioner of TNA (Foley, for now) have a deputy responsible for the Knockouts? Major League Baseball still has American League and National League PResidents, even though those positions aren't as important as they were. BAsketball has a separate WNBA front office, although that's not the best parallel since WNBA is a separate operation under the NBA umbrella.

I could even see on-screen authority figures for the Tag Team and X Divisions. That would help clarify who is in the X Division at any given time, that would give an instant explanation for thrown-together tag teams ("Mr. James wants to see how Kiyoshi and Creed work together, so they have a five minute tryout match next week with Beer Money.")

I don't think you need to hire anybody, just use people you already have hanging around the back who can't credibly wrestle anymore. Kip James, Traci Brooks, Terry Taylor, maybe bring in Jerry Lynn for the X-Division.

i think kip james would be perfectthey could steal a lil wwe with the gm (guest host) oh u didnt know ur ass outa call somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!! ans would give him somthin to do

I don't know if an onscreen "commissioner" type position is the answer, but the Knockout division does need something soon. It's the downfall of any women's division; you either only have 4-5 women wrestlers to swap the belt back and forth in stale events, or you have too many women and not enough true angles to keep it all together. They have a women's title and a women's tag team title. If they wish to keep the division from imploding on itself from lack of direction, they will need some kind of support backstage to give them focus.

By the way, "Knockout Law" is a terrible name for the position. Of course, the appointment was made by a "Director of Authority", which is only a little bit better.

Dixie Carter is already TNA President, which would be the best title. Failing that, "Commissioner" is pretty good, with "Deputy Commissioners" for the KO, Tag and X Divisions. Or "Director of Knockout/Tag-team/X-Division Operations", reporting to Commissioner or CEO Hogan. "General Manager" is not terrible, but is very WWE identified, and usually has to do in sports with a team competing against other teams. For Raw and Smackdown it vaguely makes sense, since they are sometimes portrayed as competing within the WWE "league", but TNA should avoid the GM name.

While a separate "GM" for the Knockouts might be a good idea, I don't think it's really necessary. One full-time central on-air authority figure could easily cover the entire promotion, but he definitely should not be an active wrestler.

I guess Foley is the current "authority figure", but he seems to spend more time in the ring jumping from face-to-heel than being in-charge. I'm guessing that either Hogan or Bischoff or both will become the central authority figure come January 4th. That's the problem with TNA right now. Everything is in lame-duck mode until January 4th.

I'd like to amend my points a little bit.

Having on-screen Deputy Commissioners for the tag, X and KO divisions would create some advantages, but most of the value would be gained just by making sure that each category had one dedicated, full time road agent working with those wrestlers and with the creative team, being an advocate for them.

Since road agents tend to be respected veteran wrestlers, this could also improve locker room morale. AJ Styles and world title contenders are big and ugly enough (as my dad would say to/about me) to stand up to Russo themselves, while tag wrestlers, X-division guys and women might not be, aside from Kong, Tara and the Dudleys.

The division has grown, and has proven to be a draw, and should be treated as such. Giving it a separate head honcho would certainly be a start...

I agree. The knockouts are very impressive, and Traci would be the perfect person to be the "head honcho" as you said. But I think Traci should be a heel. The last couple of times she was on TV, she cut a series of damn good heel promos, and seems to enjoy playing "the bad girl".

If this were to happen, I hope TNA could seperate her role from Mick Foley's. By that I mean, I hope they don't have her go mad with power like they did Foley because I think Mick is the only one who could pull that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back