RAW: Misnamed?

Planty

Pride of Manchester
During the Attitude Era, it could be said that the name Raw fitted the product.

Gutsy, edgy, certainly not PG... names like RAW is War and RAW really were the perfect fit for the product.

After all, you had DX's promo's featuring the infamous Michaels line about "Bein' up all night!" with a young intern.

Also, there was the McMahon/Austin rivalry with a superstar literally handing it to his boss.

So what does RAW stand for nowadays? Does the name still apply?

When you have such "stars" as the Access Hollywood presenters hosting a wrestling product... is that RAW? Or maybe having commentator Michael Cole talk about how he watches The View just to give a quick plug... is that RAW? Futhermore, there's the PG rating. Is hearing watered down promo's and watching a midget leprechaun run about shooting people with water pistol's RAW?

I'm pretty sure you see my point. Yes, whilst people can argue Smackdown should be renamed as the Rock isn't about nowadays (I disagree with this point) and ECW should be renamed because it is not like the original company (I agree with this point)... RAW is what I'm focusing on.

Is it time for the name to be changed? Despite it holding so much prestige. Right now in my own personal opinion, the current style of RAW is shitting all over the good memories of the product. It is inevitable because we're past wrestling's boom period but the guest hosts and the PG rating is too much.

What are your thoughts? Does the name still suit? Should there be a name change?

ECW isn't Extreme or championship?

When did someone lay the SD on SD?

When did superstars have superstars on it?

When did TNA actually have total non stop action?

When did Impact ever make an impact?

How was WCW classed as world when it was essentially just in GA?

My point is, the name doesn't really matter anymore it's been cemented as that it shouldn't make a difference to anything. To quote the Rock "It doesn't matter what your name is!"

I don't agree that the only people who dislike the names are online smarks. I have friends who will watch occasionally with me and have said "So what exactly is raw about Raw?". Obviously the name should stay, but I've been noticing some questionable material on mondays lately that have been borderline PG-13, so things are getting better.

I get the point that is trying to be made here, but why would the WWE want to change a name that everyone, current fan, old fan, or even someone that doesn't watch wrestling all knows. It's about the recognition they get, same with Smackdown and ECW, sure ECW is nothing like the original when it was just on local TV, but it's there because it's something people who aren't a diehard fan will remember and maybe give it a shot if they see it on their tv channel guide.

The moment this turns into another bitchfest about the PG rating, it's getting closed, and I'm handing out infractions.

Well, If I recall correctly the WWE was still family friendly when RAW debuted in the early 90's, the show actually predates the Attitude era. So you can say it fit the product during that period in the late 90's the fact is the show was called that before that era was even thought up. So why change it? The name was changed during that era to RAW IS WAR a name it didn't have before then and it doesn't have now. The name has brand power and would cost millions to change and harm the shows ratings as it may confuse. I say leave it alone, works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back