Rare matches you never thought happen.. but did.

mont3818

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hey everyone so just for fun I wanted to know what rare interesting matches you've found out about recently that DID actually take place. Like between two big names, or two people you'd never think had fought.

Bob Backlund vs. Hulk Hogan for the WWE Championship
I think Hogan was heel at the time but its just interesting to see the previous generations #1 baby go against the next generations #1 babyface.

Andre the Giant vs King Kong Bundy
When I was REALLY young these two seemed like the quintessential giants to me. I guess mostly appearance. Because well Big John Studd was, well, big, he didn't have the look. I knew this match had to be floating around somewhere on a SNME though.

Randy Savage vs Shawn Michaels for the WWE Championship
This was a real suprise for me. I knew Shawn fought for the title as early as 1992 against Bret, but for him to fight, presumably, in the main event for the Title against one of the previous generations main eventers was a shock. Apparently its a pretty good match, its on the new randy savage dvd.

The Rock vs Bret Hart
This was a forgotten match from Raw. I think it was right after WM13, Bret was slowly going heel and they were really trying to push Rock as a young babyface. It's a decent match I think. Just a big shock to know they fought, I would have never thought to look.

What about you?

Wow! I had no idea that Randy Savage and Michaels had a match together. Thanks for the heads up!

The Rock vs Hulk Hogan - As much as I wish it was Stone Cold vs Hulk Hogan, mainly because I'm a huge Steve Austin fan, I never thought I'd see The Rock battle The Hulkster. The atmosphere was off the charts, and it really inspired The Rock to change his character up, and we all know how brilliant Hollywood Rock was. At the same token, I really wish Hogan would have stayed nWo black and white, instead of switching back to the yellow and red colorful character.

Sabu vs Rey mysterio - I know the match wasnt that profiled or anything but i attended ecw one night stand 06 and that match was just cool to see for me.

jeff hardy vs john cena - i dont like the fact that this was a like a ten minute raw main event i never really thought id seed this match and it should of been saved for ppv.

Ughh...

Christian vs. Jack Swagger: Who on Earth would have thought one month Christian would get laid out by the MEM, and next month face Jack Swagger as the top baby face on ECW! Plus also there was also so many rumors of E&C re-uniting and Christian winning the Royal Rumble. WWE certainly pulled that one on us.

The Rock vs. The Hurricane: Lol seriously, who would have seen this coming? I think it's from a 2003 edition of Monday Night RAW, recently saw it on WWE Vintage Collection and went "ohh lol this thing". Surprisingly Hurricane wins, no lies :O!

I'm in agreement about the Shawn Michaels-Randy Savage match. When I heard the match was on the DVD, I knew that I had to watch it immediately.

But, here are some other matches I found out happened that I thought never did:

Randy Savage vs. Bruno Sammartino- This is also on the Savage DVD, and I didn't even think that Bruno was around WWE at the time. Most of what I know about WWE in the mid to late 1980's comes from the major storylines happening on TV through the PPVs. But this was the ground wrestler of old vs. the Macho Madness in his peak in the 80's.

Hulk Hogan vs. Terry Funk- This one caught my eyes because I knew Terry was in the company at the time but I never knew the two had any matches between one another. Things like this prove to me why Terry Funk is one of the all time great wrestlers. He was wrestling against the top dogs of the 80's (Hogan and then Flair) and as late as 2006 was bleeding like a pig in a hardcore match.

And even though it didn't have the end result of a match, I was shocked to hear that Jake Roberts had a program with the Ultimate Warrior in 1991 prior to Warrior going greedy and bat**** (never saw that one coming :) ). The promos however were excellent with Jake trying to get Warrior to understand the Dark Side. If you haven't seen them, check that stuff out on YouTube. I especially liked the last one with Warrior finding out you never trust a snake.

Years ago, when the territories were territories and no one dared cross over, I was shocked to hear about NWA Champion Harley Race versus WWE Champion Bob Backlund title for title. Then came Ric Flair bringing the WCW belt to WWE to go against Hogan for his title (and to show supremacy). Nick Bockwinkle defending the AWA title against the undefeated Andre the Giant. Hulk Hogan "winning" the AWA title from Nick Bockwinkle only to have the decision reversed; then appearing unexpectedly in WWF a couple weeks later and winning the belt from Iron Shiek. To me these stand out for no one crossed the territory line without paying the price from the promoters.

Eddie Guerrero versus Chris Jericho in ECW...it was one hell of a match. Another from ECW; the battle of the Bamm Bamm's: Bamm Bamm Bigelow versus Terry "Bamm Bamm" Gordy. Mainly because Gordy was primarily working out of Japan by then and Bigelow was just making his mark.

Finally my personal favorite. As a kid and living in Massachusetts, you were only exposed to WWF. I had subscriptions to "The Wrestler", "Inside Wrestling", and "Pro Wrestling Illustrated" to feed the need for something different. I read about all the "outlaws" in wrestling and never thought that I'd ever see one of the biggest in the day. WCCW broadcast to the area; where I was exposed to all the NWA legends. When they said Bruiser Brody was coming, I was in my glory...I read all about him and his reign throughout the world. So when Kerry Von Erich and Bruiser Brody (who would have thought of those two as a tag team) went up against the Freebirds, I was in awe. A Von Erich match against a Freebird match was always good (great feud), but who would have thought of Bruiser against Terry Gordy (R.I.P to both)?

Jerry Lawler vs. Harley Race. This was back in Memphis, before Race was the King of the WWF Ring. It's still interesting to know that these two wrestled.

Randy Savage vs. Lanny Poffo. Brother vs. Brother. I remember it being on the cover of PWI or Wrestling Insider or some mid/late 90s magazine.

As a child, the match I never thought I'd ever see was Hogan vs. Flair. Although neither were in their prime, it was definately something to watch. Even towards the end of WCW, a semi-hyped Nitro match between the two brought great numbers.

Well there are 2 matches which i wasn't aware actually happened until maybe like 6/7 years after they happened.

Ultimate Warrior v Undertaker - I was so into this feud as it was this Phenom from the dark side who seemed to have UW's number after he locked him in the casket. But the feud evaportated and nothing came of it. Though they did have several matches at house shows, which can now be seen on youtube and they aren't very good. From what i know UW won all the matches via DQ i think. I would have liked to see UT win.

Ultimate Warrior v Papa Shango - Again another UW match. I remember when the whole voodoo acts were performed on UW and he threw up and had the black ooze come down his face. I wanted to see this match, but never did. Again this match was performed at house shows and i saw it on youtube and another weak match. All that effort to build up a feud which ends with a bad match.

I'm not sure about the quality of this match but up until it happened I was waiting for it.
Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg.
The irristable force meets another irristable force, both these guys dominated in such shorts periods of time, deffinately two real animals going at it at the biggest event Wrestlemania XX. In the end the crowd flopped for this match as they new both guys were leaving. Maybe a dissapointment but I'm glad it happened one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back