• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Randy Savage did NOT turn face at WM 7

LBGetBack

Championship Contender
I see this noted so many times on wrestling forums.

He was practically celebrating when Undertaker put Warrior in the casket shortly after Mania!

At Saturday Night's Main Event in late April '91, Savage spent the whole night on commentary rooting for the heels. Obviously he rooted for Sgt. Slaughter against the Warrior.....but he rooted for all of them: Dibiase, Nasty Boys, Undertaker, Mr. Perfect, The Mountie, etc.....he was still fully heel at this time.

It eventually happened, and the WM 7 postmatch stuff was the first signs of it, but he still was a heel for a good amount of time after Mania.

Not sure how many realize this.

The audience decides whether or not a wrestler is a face or a heel. Savage could cheer the heels all he wanted. Savage and Liz reunited and from that moment on he was a face. Whether he or Vince or you wanted him to be heel, he was a face. The fans were cheering him now. Face.

my mother cried during WrestleMania 7 when RANDY SAVAGE appeared, then proceeded to embrace Elizabeth with love & respect for the first time.. this has been built up NON STOP btw since their TV debut in 1985.

i am not sure if you watched saturday morning superstars full time back then when Macho Man & Vince McMahon & Piper were on commentary or you are younger & using dvds / network / tube BUT they just simply let SAVAGE play a needed voice role.. he wasn't as vicious or reprehensible yet he def rooted for the heel and did the " i'm not sure if that is a choke or a sleeper hold " ....!!

once Mr.Perfect needed time to heal the ol' back, they had a perfect replacement for the heel commentator..
this was also VERY CLEAR to fans at home and in the arena during superstars taping since MACHO used to verbally diss fans EVERY CHANCE and now just played it cool with POMP & CIRCUMSTANCE.

and it was a short time after wm7 till superstars episode where he proposed and began the match made in heaven hype for summerslam...

brother my love for the career and abilities for the MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE is uber intense.. no one did it like him.

He reunited with Elizabeth. The crowd cheered him. For that moment whether you want to admit it or not, he was a face. 'Nuff said.

Savage could cheer the heels all he wanted. Savage and Liz reunited and from that moment on he was a face.

It's an interesting question....and I would address it by saying: Savage remained a heel......while Savage with Elizabeth was a face.

No one ever booed Liz; when Randy was at his most evil, they still loved her, so it was his association with her that made him seem like a good guy after his retirement battle with Ultimate Warrior.

But after he went to the announcer's booth and grew a belly while getting out of wrestling shape, he functioned strictly as a bad guy.....and with Elizabeth having little function during those months, there was nothing to like Savage for, save the memory of his reunion with Liz at WM7.

The audience decides whether or not a wrestler is a face or a heel. Savage could cheer the heels all he wanted. Savage and Liz reunited and from that moment on he was a face. Whether he or Vince or you wanted him to be heel, he was a face. The fans were cheering him now. Face.

Incorrect.

"Fans were cheering him".....umm, he was on commentary. No they weren't. They didn't have the opportunity to cheer or boo him. He was getting his Jesse The Body Ventura on for a little while.

He reunited with Elizabeth. The crowd cheered him. For that moment whether you want to admit it or not, he was a face. 'Nuff said.

False. You don't really know what you're talking about. 'Nuff said.

Elizabeth was NEVER a heel(in that era, she turned in WCW though). Savage being with Elizabeth didn't make him automatically face. That didn't fully happen until the "marriage" and subsequent Jake Roberts feud.

It was a slow turn.....it wasn't over night (plus WWE TV was usually taped a month in advance, who knows how old that commentary was).

It wasn't full born face turn till Liz was attacked during the break up of the marriage ceremony, which lead to him coming out of retirement (almost no one ever retires in pro wrestling until they are dead or just cant take bumps anymore LOL)

Randy Savage vs Rick The Model Martel on the WWF World Tour 1991 VHS video match took place on March 26, 1991, He was clearly getting cheered and wrestling as a face against a heel oponent competing just 2 days after Wrestlemania 7.
I had the match on the old VHS video it mentioned during the match by the commentators that this would be his last match as it was suposedly booked prior to losing at Wrestlemania 7 and he had to compete due to it already being booked by the supposed orders of Jack Tunney. It was a good match if anyone gets a chance to see it but as I said he clearly wrestled as a face during this match.

Randy Savage vs Rick The Model Martel on the WWF World Tour 1991 VHS video match took place on March 26, 1991, He was clearly getting cheered and wrestling as a face against a heel oponent competing just 2 days after Wrestlemania 7.
I had the match on the old VHS video it mentioned during the match by the commentators that this would be his last match as it was suposedly booked prior to losing at Wrestlemania 7 and he had to compete due to it already being booked by the supposed orders of Jack Tunney. It was a good match if anyone gets a chance to see it but as I said he clearly wrestled as a face during this match.

I looked up the match you're talking about, and I'm actually surprised that it was taped after WM. Don't know where they billed the match from for the World Tour video, but him and Martel had back to back matches in Vegas and Reno :)

Impressively for the time period though, after those tapings, the only place Savage wrestled for the next few months was in Japan on joint WWF/SWS cards.

For the OP's statement... it was a yes and no kind of thing.

Yes, after WM 7 Savage still rooted for the heels on commentary. He did not do the usual wrestler turns into a fan favorite and immediately changes everything about himself thing. It was more of a slow burn that showed exactly why Savage was able to become as great as he did. He's someone that understood the little intricacies that gave his character depth and made him seem real (wardrobe notwithstanding).

As time went on, he started identifying with the heels less and less. Part of this can be played up by being back together with Elizabeth, being happier as a result, and identifying with her way of thinking more. I'm trying to remember if this was when Piper was on the broadcast team with him though? Because one angle they did when broadcasting beside McMahon was another slow burn from the alpha face (Piper) and alpha heel (Savage) grudgingly working beside each other, to developing respect for each other, to finally becoming friends that the other could always count on. I think this was during the exact same time we're talking about here, and that Piper's influence was part of the eventual face turn too.

The no kind of thing though? Is that when he was in the ring, especially in those TV taping matches Glasgow mentioned here, there was no way in hell the fans weren't cheering for him after Mania. So in that regard, he was a babyface immediately after Mania.

The initial booking putting him against a heel like Martel right after Mania (he also fought Dibiase at those tapings) suggests the office was pushing him as a face immediately. If I had to guess, Savage was the one that pulled them back for the slow burn, and had them stop using him in North America until they were ready to bring him back full time. Because I can easily see McMahon wanting Savage to go full blown face immediately after Mania, start contradicting everything he'd say on commentary every week, and still working full time across the country... just being unadvertised.

That's almost what those TV taping matches suggest was the initial plan was, which would have been the type of thing the WWF always did. The fact that this turn was done so differently than previous ones, suggests to me at least that someone was pushing for it... and that someone was most likely the guy turning, Savage.

Well if he was on commentary, was he sort of retired or semi-retired? I think when you stop wrestling, it's fair game. Nothing you did before mattered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back