• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Randy Couture's retirement page

Uncle Phatso

Mid-Card Championship Winner
As reported on the main site.

"This Saturday night, Zuffa will present UFC 129 in front of 55,000 live fans at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. In the main event, Georges St-Pierre will defend the UFC Welterweight Championship against former Strikeforce standout Jake Shields. Also on the card is the fight Randy Couture promises will be his last, a 3 round clash with Lyoto Machida. “It’s been an ongoing transition for me,” Couture stated, “I kind of want to go out on my own terms and decide when enough is enough. I think that time has come."

Randy Couture's Official UFC 129 After-Party will be held at the hottest club in Downtown Toronto, Mansion on 102 Peter Street, and you can get in as part of the VIP Guest List!"

This is a sad day for mma and Ufc alike. I personally have been watching the Ufc for allmost 5 years, and following diffrent mma groups for about as long. You hear about Chuck, and all the champs, but allways a main topic is Randy. He was a great fighter who worked his ass off for years to become the best. At one time he was considered the greatest heavyweight fighter on the market, and also one of the greatest P4P fighters of his day. He worked up from being a wrestler and brawler. To become one of the biggest fighters ever in mma history.

Give him some praise here, Randy has done about everything. So I wish him the best in his retirement.

The true end of an era. I try not to think about it as Randy is my absolute favorite fighter of all time. The guy is so classy and what he is doing in this sport is unheard of. He is fighting in the top MMA organization in the world and is nearly fifty years old. It's crazy. He is such an inspirational man and one of the best ever. He has given us such great moments in his career. He has defied the odds time and time again, and given us tome of the most memorable moments in MMA history. A truly great guy, and an even greater fighter. I cannot think of a better way for him to go out than beating a top LHW who is fifteen years younger than him. It's a bittersweet moment. I want 129 to come, but then I don't because it will be the last time I ever see him fight.

I just want to say, thank you Randy for making me a MMA fan, and introducing me into a sport which I hold very dear to my heart. Thank you for giving me my favorite moments in MMA history. Thank you Randy!

I have never been a huge Randy Couture fan but I do respect the hell out of the man. His contribution to the sport of mixed martial arts has been amazing and his accomplishments, especially so late in his career, are nothing beyond extraordinary. He really is a freak of nature and one of the greatest competitors to ever grace the Octagon and unlike so many legends he hasn't ruined his legacy one bit. Win or lose Randy Couture will be going out a legend and one of the most recognizable fighters in history.

First of all, let me state that I am not entirely convinced Randy Couture is retiring, ESPECIALLY if he beats Machida. In the unlikely chance Couture does win this Saturday, I see the UFC offering him something he just can't refuse. The Light Heavyweight Division right now is just too deflated right now for the UFC to let someone like Couture retire after beating one of their top names in the division.

But, if/when Couture loses and he does end up retiring for good this time... well, I'm not sure what to say, lol. I'm not really the biggest Couture fan on the planet, and I do feel he's had an extremely overrated career, but I do respect him and I do acknowledge he's been a wonderful ambassador for the sport. I can't say I will really miss him, though.

I'm really sad that he will be retiring and he has always been a really great guy in the MMA community. I'll be getting to meet with him soon, because of my firend's dad sponsoring him and I look forward to asking him what really made him retire? He has always been a friendly guy as far as I have known in my few times meeting him and I look forward to seeing his legacy in MMA being cherished by all MMA fans. I think it will be good for him to get some break. Now do I think he is retired for sure? NO, however for the time being I have to think he is and wish him the best in retirement.

True this isnt nessecarily his last fight, beating Machida could get him some good matchups and he said himself that if he gets a match that interests him he wont retire. But he does have his lawyers and family wanting him to hang in up and that has more influence no more than ever, especially with Randy being older and his lawyers hoping he moves away from fighting and more towards hollywood and movies. But assuming he does hang it up after tonight I want to say what an influence the man has been to me.

I had the HONOR of meeting Randy last year in november, I heard on twitter that he was going to be at the premeire of the EA MMA video game at Universal Studios signing autographs with Fedor. I decided meeting a legend and my hero was more important than a day of college so I drove an hour to Universal, ran to the gamestop where he was signing and found it empty. I was crushed that I had missed it but then I saw him walking down the the city walk so I ran over and asked him if he could please sign my magazine. I've met many people I look up to but this was the first time I was legitimatly starstruck. It took everything in me to even attempt to function normally, but he was extremly nice and I thanked him for the autograph and told him it was a huge honor to meet him. That whole time and as he was walking away every one of his fights was running in my head like a home movie and his hearing his stats in my head as if someone were saying them in my ear. I met my hero and it was one of the greatest moments of my life, and whether or not he hangs it up this weekend I will always look up to him as a man, a warrior, a pioneer and ambassator for MMA, and my hero. God Bless you Randy and thank you for everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back