• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Randy Couture @ 205

jmt225

Global Moderator
Here's a recent quote from Randy Couture:

"Maybe this year, or maybe the first of next year," Couture said of the timing of his next bout. "I haven't really looked at the cards and the shows that they have. What's on the schedule, I don't know, but I'm especially leaning towards dropping down. I'm pushing in weight. It would be easy for me to make 205, and there's more interesting fights there right now."

And here's Dana White's response:

"I'd love to see him at light heavyweight, but he proved he can hang with heavyweights," White said. "He's had probably the best fight against Brock Lesnar, other than Heath Herring, since Lesnar's been in here. I think he's a monster at light heavyweight. It's up to him, to be honest with you. Whatever he wants to do, I'm in."

So, the question is, do you want to see Couture move down to 205, or would you like to see him stay at Heavyweight? And in either case, who would you like to see Couture fight next?

Personally, I'd like to see Couture move down to 205. There are just so many options there for him. Plus, with the new 5 Round Non-Title rule for fights in Nevada, he could really cause some damage in the division, I think, or at least have some classic bouts.

As far as who I would like to see him fight, well, honestly... Couture vs. Anderson Silva is a dream fight of mine, so if it were up to me, then I would definitely choose that for Couture's next fight. It'd be like a real life version Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed. And you know... if Randy fought smart, I really think he'd have a fair chance. It could very well end up like Couture vs. Vitor Belfort 1 all over again. Then again, at the same time, it could be like Couture vs. Liddell 2/3 as well. But I want to see for myself just how it'd go.

But if that's not possible, then Couture vs. Lil' Nog would also be something I'd like to see. If it's anything like Couture vs. Big Nog, then we'd just have another FOTY candidate on our hands. I also wouldn't mind seeing Couture take on Rashad Evans if Rampage drops out of the fight at UFC 107. And of course, there's the thought of Couture facing Machida, but I don't think that's possible without one or two big wins in the division first.

I think this is great for Couture. At heavyweight he's good, but at 205... not many better than Couture. I think we'd all like to see him fight Silva, but if Rampage drops out of the fight and Couture steps in and wins... Machida all the way.

Hell yeah, that would be a huge match. I would love to see Couture go down to 205. Silva is the best fighter in the UFC in my opinion & I'm a Couture fan as well, so this fight as well as a possible fight with Machida would be money.

Personally I would like to see Couture stay at heavyweight. The light heavyweight division is stacked with some if not the best talent across all of the divisions. With the light heavyweight division as it is now with fighters like Lyoto, Anderson, Rampage, Rashad, and Shogun, I can't imagine Randy having success, put on a good fights sure, but actually win? I wouldn't put my money down on him in any of those fights personally. At heavyweight the division isn't as strong, probably the weakest division in the sport, where although Randy is outsized, it's never stopped him from being successful. I think Randy can still be the UFC heavyweight champion as he is now one day, while at LHW I can never picture him capturing the belt.

Okay guys, GREAT news!

First and foremost, Randy Couture has signed a SIX fight contract extension! Awesome, right?

But also, his next fight has been announced. It's against Brandon Vera at UFC 105 in the 205 pound weight division. So, it looks like Couture has decided to make the cut after all.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Vera, at all. I just think he's an annoying little twat, and not a very talented fighter, either. I cannot wait to see Couture whoop this clown's ass. Seriously, Vera doesn't stand a chance. His stand-up is okay, but Couture is still probably better. And wrestling and on the ground... it's not even a competition, Couture takes it beyond decisively. Can't wait for this one.

I have to say that I am pretty excited to see Couture return to light heavyweight. I am not a huge fan and I don't think he will really make an impression on the divison but he will make for some exciting fights. This news about him fighting Brandon Vera is kind of cool because baring a huge upset this is sure fire win for Randy. He is fighting the guy who was toted as "the next big thing" in the Heavyweight division but in my opinion should be known as "the next big bust". The guy has done pretty much shit in the UFC. Hes beaten a few good fighters but really doesnt impress me when he fights and will never win either Light Heavy or Heavyweight titles.

I'm actually quite looking forward to this match up of Vera Vs. Couture. Very weak main event, but it's a fine main event for a free card that we get here in states.

I think this is quite the risky fight for Couture. Vera has looked good as of late at LHW. He's shown some great takedown defense, along with some pretty damn vicious striking TKO'ing Mike Patt via leg kicks. Couture has the disadvantage on the stand up. In his last fight Vera showed a more passive striking, which is great, so he'll fight more smartly, and Brandon Vera has a 3 inch reach advantage over Couture. Vera actually uses his legs also. Which he can use to keep his distance, and if he kicks hard enough apparently, TKO via leg kicks. Randy I assume will look to take Vera down, but Vera does have a wrestling background, while not as great as Randy's, Vera did show some great take down defense in his last fight, and he isn't at a weight disadvantage now. I feel some are looking too past Vera, and I think he's gonna pull the upset here. Vera takes this one by decision in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back