PWI series; Wrestler of the year

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
This is the first of my mini series looking at what PWI has said over the years, many times in arguments people bring up PWI match of the year, PWI tag team of the year, PWI rookie of the year and PWI wrestler of the year. I will be taking a look at all four of these and will hopefully spark a debate as to whether these awards are as prestigious as everyone has made out.

The wrestler of the year award was started in 1972 and was won by Pedro Morales, the last winner was Triple H in 2008. Ric Flair has a record of seven times, with Hogan and Austin being joint second with three wins.

2008 Triple H
2007 John Cena
2006 John Cena
2005 Batista
2004 Chris Benoit
2003 Kurt Angle
2002 Brock Lesnar
2001 Steve Austin
2000 The Rock
1999 Steve Austin
1998 Steve Austin
1997 Lex Luger
1996 The Giant
1995 Diesel
1994 Hulk Hogan
1993 Big Van Vader
1992 Ric Flair
1991 Hulk Hogan
1990 Sting
1989 Ric Flair
1988 Randy Savage
1987 Hulk Hogan
1986 Ric Flair
1985 Ric Flair
1984 Ric Flair
1983 Harley Race
1982 Bob Backlund
1981 Ric Flair
1980 Bob Backlund
1979 Harley Race
1978 Dusty Rhodes
1977 Dusty Rhodes
1976 Terry Funk
1975 Mr. Wrestling II
1974 Bruno Sammartino
1973 Jack Brisco
1972 Pedro Morales

What is interesting to note is that in recent times, the award has generally gone to a WWE superstar, the last non WWE superstar to win one was in 1997, that went to Lex Luger.

So I ask you to take a look, pick three years at random and see whether that person deserved the award....for example last year Triple H won best wrestler of the year, yet he actually seemed to be the only WWE main eventer who was not out injured at some point so it made logical sense that he would win it, yet some people may think a TNA star should have won it.

I'm surprised Shawn Michaels isn't there, so...

Shawn Michaels for 1996.
- Won 2nd Royal Rumble in a row.
- Greatest match ever at WM with Bret Hart.

Shawn Michaels for 1997.
- First ever HiAC match.
- Montreal Screw Job.
- First ever Grand Slam Champion.

2008 - (Triple H) - I honestly think this should have gone to Randy Orton...or the Undertaker. In the case of Orton, the office gave him a lengthy title reign that included a successful heel defense at Wrestlemania (rare), a reign that proceeded one of the most dominant champions in WWE history. The Undertaker was in the WHC picture for the majority of the year, and likely had the best feud of the year with Edge.

1997 - (Lex Luger) - This should have easily gone to Hulk Hogan. This was the year of the nWo, and Hogan was the big man in the nWo. Luger didn't do much of note besides a 5 day title reign. Hogan got hosed.

1990 - (Sting) - Should have gone to the Ultimate Warrior. He was over, he pinned Hogan cleanly, and was the first to hold the WWF and Intercontinental belts simultaneously. Sting had a pretty average year that included a knee injury.

I'll pick the three years I know the most about. 2000, 2001 and 2008.

2000 - The Rock. Without a doubt yes. This was the year my wrestling interest sky rocketed, and he was the reason. Austin was shelved, yet Rock ran the company. His feud with the corporation was great. Won the Rumble, got screwed at Mania, won at Backlash, competed in the one hour iron man match with HHH, won his title back at KotR in a unique match concept (well it was to me anyway), copeted in a great match with Angle, okay feud with Rikishi, competed in the Hell in the Cell. Overall,awesome.

2001 Austin - Yep again. Whilst Kurt Angle was magnificent this year, Austin just shades it. Won the Rumble, competed in the three stages of hell, won at Mania, was the focal point of the whole InVasion storyline, great series with Angle, managed to come within seconds of killing the WWF (at the time) then turn babyface quite soon after.

2008 - HHH. Well, it had to be? Others who had great years were Chris Jericho (quiet up until his heel turn), Edge (missed a large chunk in "hell"), Orton (started and ended well, was injured in the middle) Cena (too much time injured). That leaves HHH. Almost won the Rumble, won the EC, close to winning at Mania, won title at Backlash, shelved Orton, became first and only man to retain his title in a Scramble match, before losing his title to Edge and being unsuccessful in his chance to reatin. So ended poorly, but a large part of the year at the top.

The PWI awards are completely pointless. They are merely voted on by readers of the magazine. There is no defined criteria, other than they have to be aware of its existence. Using PWI awards for anything is completely pointless.

I'll just take the last three years on there. I think 2006 and 2007 were correct. John Cena was undoubtedly the hottest thing in wrestling, and was putting on classic match after classic match. 2008, though, is wrong. That honor should go to Jericho, as he completely transformed himself from face to heel, and then went on to carry a many month feud with HBK, nearly by himself. His mic work was superb, and he played his character flawlessly.

The PWI awards are completely pointless. They are merely voted on by readers of the magazine. There is no defined criteria, other than they have to be aware of its existence. Using PWI awards for anything is completely pointless.
I couldn't agree more. The same goes for the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and Dave Meltzer. I'll never understand why anybody with an IQ above -1 would take his opinion as fact and then use his opinions as fact. It's moronic.

1997 - Bret Hart. He had the best match of the year at WrestleMania, putting Austin on the map. He re-formed the Hart Foundation, which got massive heat throughout America. He won the strap from Taker at Summerslam in one of the better matches that year. The Montral Screwjob. Debuted with WCW and played a part in the biggest match of the year at Starrcade.

I can't understand why Luger won the award at all. Yes, it was amazing that he defeated Hulk Hogan live on Nitro for the world title, but it lasted for five days, and the rest of his year was pretty much forgettable. Bret's year was leaps and bounds better.

1998 - Bill Goldberg. Perhaps this choice will come under some debate, as it's arguable as to who the more popular superstar was that year. Goldberg's undefeated streak caught on, he took the strap from top heel Hogan, made WCW the number one group in the company, and put on (what I consider) the best match of the year with Diamond Dallas Page. Austin presents a strong argument, but I think '97 and '99 were his better years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back