Pulling A Kidman

Little Jerry Lawler

Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
If you're not well versed on the cruiserweight scene on Smackdown in 2004, let me take you back to a happier time for some. Billy Kidman was amazing everyone with the Shooting Star Press. The announcers would orgasm and the crowd rose from whatever stupor they were in to watch in amazement. Then, it all changed.

[YOUTUBE]S-mxHiZRMfI[/YOUTUBE]

Chavo suffered a concussion and all of a sudden whenever Kidman went to the top rope, he got scared and refused to do the move. This resulted in him and his tag team champion partner Paul London losing the titles. Kidman turned heel and him and London fought at No Mercy where Kidman won with the SSP and then did it again with London strapped on a stretcher.

One thing I felt during this storyline and match is even though Kidman was heel, I thought to the casual viewer that he could be seen as a face. Think about it. You do a move you do hundreds of times and then one time, you do it wrong and someone is hurt as a result. You would be second-guessing yourself everytime you go to the top rope.

So do you think this angle could be used for a superstar today? My first thought that this could be used for Evan Bourne since he does the SSP as well but he's probably in the doghouse right now. I'll still hold a spot for him. Justin Gabriel also comes to mind with his 450 splash. It could be a way for him to be more recognized and move up instead of being stagnant. A drawback to this angle would be with all the information and coverage about concussions around, I don't know if that's a great way to go in terms of injury.

So do you think the Kidman/London/Chavo angle could be used again? If so, who would you prefer it to be?

The difference between Kidman and guys like Bourne and Gabriel is that Kidman came close to botching his SSP all the time. In WCW, he attempted it on Regal and literally landing on the turnbuckle because he could never do it straight and always went sideways with it. Ive never seen Bourn or Gabriel even come close to messing up even once. So it would be real hard for them to mess it up. They went with the story because Kidman legitimately injured Chavo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back