PTT: Draw Seven

?

• Borderlands

• Donkey Kong Country

• Gran Turismo 3

• MKDS

• Ninja Gaiden (new version not original)

• Runescape

• Super Smash Bros

• Treasure Island Dizzy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Borderlands
Donkey Kong Country
Gran Turismo 3
Mario Kart DS
Ninja Gaiden (Xbox/PS2 new generation one)
Runescape (PC)
Super Smash Bros (N64)
Treasure Island Dizzy (Commodore 64)

I've never been big on platformers, Mario bored me, Sonic being quicker was OK but it was still just run and jump. What I truly love are puzzles, character, humour. Taking those things into account it's no surprise that I'm voting for Treasure Island Dizzy. Just a wonderful, techniclour adventure, one of my earliest gaming memories and still really very playable. It may not be the best platformer (that would be Flasback) but it's easily my favourite.

If you tried to construct a list of the most influential video games of all time and did not place Treasure Island Dizzy somewhere upon said list then you would not be doing your job properly.

I don't want to shoot my load too early over Treasure Island Dizzy since I fully intent to make an effort to push Magicland Dizzy some distance through later rounds. That being said, TI Dizzy fully deserves inclusion in this tournament for being one of the greatest all time classics of all time. You can actually download this game for free off of the Codemasters website if you feel so inclined. If you have an interest in gaming history then I strongly suggest you give it a whirl. You'll not only get to experience one of the cornerstones of the modern gaming industry, but you'll also find out why all old school gamers think that you're a pussy for playing Halo. :p

It is legitimately hard to count the number of ways TID helped to shape video game to come. Platformers to Adventures, Braid to Broken Sword, there are so many fantastic games out there that began on the Commodore 64 in the 1980s, when two man known in history as the Oliver Twins sat down as wrote one of the all time generation defining masterpieces. This was the era of Pacman and Tetris. Games that made use of more than one screen were very, very rare. Treasure Island Dizzy gave gamers a whole world to navigate and explore. A world full of puzzles to solve, traps to avoid and jellyfish to provoke domestic abuse.

Vote Treasure Island Dizzy - because it's your history too.

Donkey Kong Country gets my vote here, and it's not even close. Mario Kart DS was good, but not as good as other entries in the series. Smash Bros is nowhere near Melee or Brawl. Ninja Gaiden is alright, as is some of the other choices here. Donkey Kong Country was very popular for its time and has stood the test of time. There are still platformers out there trying to pick up where that series left off. I picked it as it's by far the best option in this poll.

I'm gonna give my vote to the new Ninja Gaiden, mostly because when I finally completed that game, I felt like I actually earned it. I'm sure we've all played very difficult games before, I know I've beaten my share, but Ninja Gaiden legitimately caused me to break 4 separate controllers in the span of the game. I've lost Madden games to bullshit, I've grinded out a solid two hours of work in a Final Fantasy game, yet I have never been so infuriated by a game like Ninja Gaiden forced upon me.

Aside from all that, the combat was outstanding to me. You needed to earn every victory and in order to do so you had to pull some maneuvers just to survive to the next bit of fighting, and that was with regular enemies. I lost count how many times I died to the ninjas throwing incendiary blades. Finally after dying and learning the tactics, I was able to surpass and actually move on to the next part of the level. The platforming and puzzle aspects just brought it all together for me. The boss battles were big, and again would not give you one breather when you battled them.

If Ninja Gaiden wasn't in here, I would have voted for Super Smash Bros, just based on the sheer amount of hours my friends and I put into that battling on a daily basis.

Smash Bros was a rather interesting game, and I remember playing it pretty much every weekend for a good half of a year with a few friends. The level of accomplishment I'd felt when I finally unlocked Ness, being like 10 and not very good at fighters yet, outclassed anything I can remember on the N64. It's simple control scheme and move-set for each character has a surprising amount of hidden depth, and the very basic gameplay style was still enjoyable for days, weeks, even months as a time. Of course, its two sequels built on this and became two of the best games I've ever played, but the joy I had back in the day with this gem really holds a place in my heart. One of the other reasons I like it so much is I'd had no knowledge of both F-Zero and Earthbound, and whilst the latter became one of my favorite RPGs of all time... well, Cap'n's the fucking shit.

Donkey Kong Country gets my vote here, and it's not even close.

Judging by your logic as to why the other titles are inferior, I don't see why you'd need to throw that little statement in at the end

Mario Kart DS was good, but not as good as other entries in the series.

They're all pretty much the same game with quirks, so I can agree with you here; as soon as I can use a turtle flying a plane (DKR), I'll start paying attention to Carboncopy Kart again

Smash Bros is nowhere near Melee or Brawl.

Okay, what the fuck does this have to do with anything? You chose Zelda 1 over all the other titles in that poll because it was revolutionary, and the same exact logic applies to SSB, even with the faults you gave it! Zelda 1 is nowhere near LTTP, OOT, or TP, and I myself prefer Zelda 2 to it due to... well, I haven't entirely figured that out why I like that game so much, but shit, I can bounce on enemies wit mah swahd. However, to say that Zelda can be considered better because it revolutionized the action adventure genre, but SSB cannot is asinine. Additionally, in what aspect is it "nowhere near" M/B? You've used multiple criteria in dismissing the ingenuity of games.

The original Smash Bros took a medley of Nintendo characters (including the androgynelf you previously vouched for), a rather unique gameplay style in-which HP is nixed for damage counters that calculate distance launched per hit, with ring-outs being the only way to attain victory, but because it's not your favorite on the list the same logic doesn't apply to it?

Ninja Gaiden is alright, as is are some of the other choices here.

With your lack of reasoning it just seems like you haven't played the others, you could just come out and say that, or maybe take the time to say why they're only "alright" if you have

Donkey Kong Country was very popular for its time and has stood the test of time.

Have you not hopped on a Kaillera server lately? There are about three constantly played games on them: Street Fighter Alpha (I think 2, might be 1), Marvel vs Capcom 1, and Super Smash Bros. You're also either ignoring the popularity of both MKDS the original Smash Bros, and I've never actually heard anyone throw up an LFG for DKC in all the time I've spent playing on ZSNES. I mean, I'm sure that there are people who enjoy romming the shit out of that game, but if people are going on a PJ64 server to play SSB when they can just friend-code it up on some Brawl, that's saying something.

There are still platformers out there trying to pick up where that series left off.

You mean putting rather breathtaking graphics (at the time) in the place of somewhat mediocre gameplay? I'm pretty sure almost ALL video games do that now

I picked it as it's by far the best option in this poll.

You've made it very clear that this is your opinion, but you really shouldn't put such a factual spin on your statement like this.

I fucking loved Borderlands, so that's why I picked it. It reminds me of Pokemon and Fallout, since you gain EXP through random battles and it's an RPG set in a wasteland. I loved the massive weapons selection and the character development system.

I can't wait for an announcement for Borderlands 2!. Gearbox has to make it happen!..

Borderlands was fun, but very repetitive. I cannot stand a seemingly never ending amount backtracking missions. It seemed like every mission, I had to travel to Point A and collect object A, then return back to where I started. Then travel to Point B to collect object B, then return. There was also a fair amount of grinding that needed to be done in order to have enough EXP to defeat some of the enemies and bosses.

While it was an enjoyable game, and I really liked the characters and art design, it shouldn't be a contender in this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back