Psychologically Disturbing, Round 3: Gummo vs. Martyrs

Discussion in 'Horror Film Mini-Tournament (2010)' started by Cena's Little Helper, Oct 28, 2010.

?

Which Film Is More Disturbing?

1. Gummo

2. Martyrs

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

Gummo (1997, Directed by Harmony Korine)

[​IMG]
    Russian VHS Cover

vs.

Martyrs (2007, Directed by Pascal Laugier)

[​IMG]
    South Korean Theatrical Poster

2. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Gummo was nothing more than a bunch of ******ed kids going around torturing cats. Nothing more, nothing less. That's not disturbing... it's disgusting. It's just a horrible, horrible film.

Martyrs, on the other hand, is genuinely disturbing and a good movie at the same time. Martyrs actually makes you think and brings real emotion out of you, feeling for these characters going through such terrible experiences. And with Martyrs you actually get to dwell into why these terrible things are happening; there's not a single moment in Gummo where you get that, because it's a no-good, piece of shit film that only exist to exist. There's no point to it, and it serves no purpose. To me, that makes Gummo worthless, not disturbing.

Kenny Powers likes this.
  3. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Bulletproof Tiger

Not even close here. I watched Gummo last night and really didn't find anything disturbing. It was more depressing really. A bunch of hicks and mentally challenged kids running around killing cats and huffing glue doesn't compare to a woman being tortured and skinned alive. Martyrs should breeze through this round.

4. INDYjon22

INDYjon22 Nome is where your heart is

I do find parts of Gummo to be disturbing but it pails in comparison to what I have seen from Martyrs. Martyrs is just more intense and gut wrenching. The clips I looked up were incredibly difficult to watch, whereas Gummo gave me an unsettling feeling but nothing I couldn't power through. Martyrs deserves to win this match up.