• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Prohibition

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
I know that their are several alcoholics here on WrestleZone however I wanted to create a thread talking about whether or not Prohibition could work in today's soceity.

I realize that alcohol is actually a prominent member to today' society however can we do without it? It does help boost the economy and it does in some cases help the government on special tax money it makes off of it. However there are several bad effects to alcohol. DUI is one of the leading killers while on the road. Also Liver Cancer, due to excess drinikng could hurt several people in a world where we want cancer to be gone. So taking the benefits and losses due to alcohol should probation come back?

Froma personal standpoint I say yes, however taking things into a more broad and general perspective no. People will always find a way to have alcohol that is a fact, and by getting rid of it you just make so many more things for police workers to look for. Maybe an additional tax on it pr something to make people less wanting to buy it.

But what are your thoughts?

The only thing that came out of the original prohibition is NASCAR.(lol) But in all seriousness, absolutley not. There is now way that it can work. If you look at all the illegal drugs out there and how easily they are to get if you know the right people, alcohol will without doubt fall into that category. The government won't prohibit it due to the tax revenue that it brings in. Even though the economy has been up and down in the last couple of years alcohol sales have stayed the same if not increased.

Let me ask another question relevent to yours.....What do you think happens to alcohol sales when something bad happens ie. economic failure, loss of a job, any type of depression sets in? Usually when people are down they go out and drink to make themselves feel better, therefore alcohol sales increase along with the taxes that the local, state and federal governments receive. I doubt the government will ever give that money up. Its the same arguement with cigarettes.

The only thing that came out of the original prohibition is NASCAR.(lol) But in all seriousness, absolutley not. There is now way that it can work. If you look at all the illegal drugs out there and how easily they are to get if you know the right people, alcohol will without doubt fall into that category. The government won't prohibit it due to the tax revenue that it brings in. Even though the economy has been up and down in the last couple of years alcohol sales have stayed the same if not increased.

Let me ask another question relevent to yours.....What do you think happens to alcohol sales when something bad happens ie. economic failure, loss of a job, any type of depression sets in? Usually when people are down they go out and drink to make themselves feel better, therefore alcohol sales increase along with the taxes that the local, state and federal governments receive. I doubt the government will ever give that money up. Its the same arguement with cigarettes.

I agree with you point on how it effects the economy for sure, but then who know what the future holds. Just pointing it out to you we are in a recession but that is just a small little fact. I think will government ever stop alcohol prbaly not, but then again I never thought a lot of things were going to happen so who knows? Since I am studying in Economy currently I can say that alcohol sales have been very prevalent in times of sadness however why don't you legalize Marijuana then? It comes back to that argument in that the government could make huge benefits from it yet don't. So there has to be some sort of morales in government just looking it from that persepcetive so I don't count it fully out.

The government won't prohibit it due to the tax revenue that it brings in.

That's a fact. I've spoken to people who remember when Prohibition was repealed in 1933. Talk about spin: the government made it seem as if they were lifting the ban because it was deemed ridiculous to deprive people of the right to enjoy alcoholic beverages in moderation, but these old-timers told me the only reason it was legalized was because the government realized how much tax revenue they were missing out on.

The vast, vast majority of people consume alcohol in a responsible manner. It's just that you never hear about them, you only hear about the DUIs and people who drink to excess. During Prohibition, if you enjoyed a single glass of wine with your dinner, you were committing a criminal offense and subject to prosecution to the fullest extent of the laws of this country.

Yes, that's insane......but still, it was only what the government had to gain by taxing alcohol that caused the feds to see reason and lift the ban.

Ridiculous, but true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back