• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pre-Order This Game And This Added To Your Game And Downloadable Content

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
This becoming a standard practice by Gamestop. You go Pre-Order a game and for doing so your game now comes with added features. I don't like it. When I buy a game, I should buy it with everything the other copies have. I buy a game to have all of its features on it. Why do I have to pay more just to get a lousy special armor or gun. I ask myself the same thing about downloadable content. I bought the game and after a while you decided to make more for it. Isn't that what a sequel is for? Shouldn't a game be complete upon its release? What are you opinions on these practices? Do you think I'm right? Or do you think I'm just being cheap and too old school?

[QUOTE="The Kill Joy" Robert Morales;1672421]This becoming a standard practice by Gamestop. You go Pre-Order a game and for doing so your game now comes with added features. I don't like it. When I buy a game, I should buy it with everything the other copies have. I buy a game to have all of its features on it. Why do I have to pay more just to get a lousy special armor or gun. I ask myself the same thing about downloadable content. I bought the game and after a while you decided to make more for it. Isn't that what a sequel is for? Shouldn't a game be complete upon its release? What are you opinions on these practices? Do you think I'm right? Or do you think I'm just being cheap and too old school?[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Games should be 100% complete by the time they are released. I have disliked the concept of downloadable content ever since it was first added to video games. I can understand why it was first started, but being an oldschool gamer, I would rather not use it. It looks as though you are oldschool too like me, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means we prefer the classic style of games. There are people out there who do like downloadable content and the extras you get for reserving a game at certain stores though. I look at those things as just icing on the cake though, because that's all they really ever are. They are nothing but a few extra things added on that were not needed in the original release. I personally dislike these practices but it makes sense to keep them around because the stores make more money with their releases that way.

[QUOTE="The Kill Joy" Robert Morales;1672421]This becoming a standard practice by Gamestop. You go Pre-Order a game and for doing so your game now comes with added features. I don't like it. When I buy a game, I should buy it with everything the other copies have. I buy a game to have all of its features on it. Why do I have to pay more just to get a lousy special armor or gun. [/quote]

You don’t have to pay more to get the special feature. By offering extra content, whether a gun, costume, demo, beta, character etc. Its hoped that it will get more people to guarantee to buy the game. A lot of the last games I have purchased I have preordered just to get the extra because the way I look at it is if I am going to spend $70 on a game anyways when it comes out, why shouldn’t I put $5.00 down ahead of time and receive the game plus a T-shirt or whatever they are offering. It may be something small, but its extra bank for your buck so to speak.

Also, if there is something that is exclusive in-game content like a costume or gun, some take pride in the fact that only a small number of people have access to it and its not available to the public once the game is realeased.

[QUOTE="The Kill Joy" Robert Morales;1672421] I ask myself the same thing about downloadable content. I bought the game and after a while you decided to make more for it. Isn't that what a sequel is for? [/QUOTE]

I like the downloadable content (even though I rarely purchase any). Sometimes the game developers don’t have enough content to warrant a second game. If a developer has an idea for an additional level, and a sequel isn’t coming or is years away, or even if it won’t flow with the current ideas being tossed around for the next game, then they can release downloadable content to please the gamer and their wallets. I’m not going to pretend that it’s not a business move as well because there is no doubt that they don’t benefit from additional game profits above the initial game sale.

[QUOTE="The Kill Joy" Robert Morales;1672421] Shouldn't a game be complete upon its release? [/QUOTE]

Yes! Yes! YES! Additional content being developed for the gamer months down the road is fine. A gamer may be looking for another level or story to play and will be willing to pay $10 for it to get its ‘fix.’

Releasing a game, AND downloadable content on the same day (or close enough to the release date) is ridiculous. If it is available for downloadable content on release day, they could have added it onto the game. This is strictly about money and not the gamer. If I’m paying $70 for a game, I expect everything the full game as of when it is released. If the developers want to keep focusing on the game post-release then fine, it may attract a new following that want to play the game.

I don’t think liking or disliking downloadable content or pre-orders makes you an old school gamer.

[QUOTE="The Kill Joy" Robert Morales;1672421]This becoming a standard practice by Gamestop. You go Pre-Order a game and for doing so your game now comes with added features. I don't like it. When I buy a game, I should buy it with everything the other copies have. I buy a game to have all of its features on it. Why do I have to pay more just to get a lousy special armor or gun. I ask myself the same thing about downloadable content. I bought the game and after a while you decided to make more for it. Isn't that what a sequel is for? Shouldn't a game be complete upon its release? What are you opinions on these practices? Do you think I'm right? Or do you think I'm just being cheap and too old school?[/QUOTE]

In my honest opinion, you have no case here. Because you're not paying extra, you're paying the same price as always. The way I see it, this is like a first come first serve thing, and in my opinion it's not that big of a deal. Like with Gears 2, all they gave you was a golden gun. It wasn't any better than the original gun, but it was different.

As for Downloadable content, as the one before me added, sometimes it's just because the disk can't hold that much content, yet your 250 console can. So they have to leave stuff out and have you purchase it. It's not that big of a deal.

Seriously dude, just calm down and relax it's not like you HAVE to get DLC, unless you want to play on extra maps in Multiplayer Games. And even still that "Want" is not a Must have.

In my honest opinion, you have no case here. Because you're not paying extra, you're paying the same price as always. The way I see it, this is like a first come first serve thing, and in my opinion it's not that big of a deal. Like with Gears 2, all they gave you was a golden gun. It wasn't any better than the original gun, but it was different.

I think you are very naive if you think that these companies are giving you something for "free" when you buy their games. Like it or not, these companies are not going to be making a loss. No way! The Gears of War 2 addition features are a great example of this. They only put the "golden lancer" code inside the special editions of the game which cost me an extra £10-15. I also got a concept artbook with it. However, I have paid for that addition content.

As for Downloadable content, as the one before me added, sometimes it's just because the disk can't hold that much content, yet your 250 console can. So they have to leave stuff out and have you purchase it. It's not that big of a deal.

That argument is a lot of bullshit right there. Quad-layered discs are massive. There is talk of Mass Effect going over two discs and this is not a matter of the disk capacity being small. No, quite the opposite. Mass Effect is going to bring new meaning to hours of gameplay. However, you would be very naive to think that you will not be paying more for this, if the rumours are to be believed. DLC is a huge rip off and I expect my games to come complete. I don't want to miss any of the action and be forced to pay through the nose for something that I have basically already payed for. However, that is the way that the industry is going and I guess we are all going to have to deal with that.

I think you are very naive if you think that these companies are giving you something for "free" when you buy their games. Like it or not, these companies are not going to be making a loss. No way! The Gears of War 2 addition features are a great example of this. They only put the "golden lancer" code inside the special editions of the game which cost me an extra £10-15. I also got a concept artbook with it. However, I have paid for that addition content.

You paid for the special edition of the game. Sure cost is increased for special or limited editions of games, but if you were to pre-order the special edition, the cost would be the same. KillJoy claimed that the cost of the game goes with if you pre-order which is untrue.

Like you said video games companies are not going to lose money. I pre-order games because I'd much rather get a Ghostbuster T-Shirt plus the Ghostbuster PS3 game for $60.00 opposed to just the game for the same price.

Even if it is only a in-game weapon or character, if it is going to give me more bang for my buck, i'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back