• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Possible Match For Next Week's Raw: CM Punk VS Jerry Lawler

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I read a report a few minutes ago alleging that the reason for the Punk & Lawler interaction has been for the ultimate purpose of setting a match up between the two. The report goes onto state that due to Punk's attack last night, the match will probably take place next week.

When I read this, I had some trepidation about it because this could ultimately make CM Punk look bad if they had Lawler go in there and really give him a competetive match. Then I remembered the last time Lawler was in the ring in a match against Daniel Bryan on Raw. Lawler got in a few shots before Bryan easily defeated him, so I'm hoping for something similar here.

What's the point of this match if it takes place? I'm guessing that WWE is seriously trying to get CM Punk over as a legit heel and not as a tweener. While Lawler can get awfully tiresome on commentary, there's no denying that he's among the most beloved figures in the eyes of fans in all of WWE. Punk took him out with a sneak attack last night, so beating Lawler up in a match could add more heat to Punk. I think it's especially likely if Punk "injures" Lawler. Maybe by putting him in the Anaconda Vice and keeping him in it after tapping. You know, doing some "damage" to Lawler and maybe have Cena come down to try and save the day.

Beating up Jerry Lawler might not be the most original means of drawing consistent heat, but it certainly works.

Whatever the simplest explanation is, that's the purpose. I'm more or less convinced that WWE doesn't plan things out long-term anymore. Nor do they really care about story development.

So here's what they're thinking: "Lawler go bang. Make Punk more bad."

Oh, and the buildup and replays over the 3-hour show will overall be at least twice as long as the actual match.

Ok, I'm biased because I grew up in the 70's and 80's watching Lawler on Studio Wrestling every Saturday morning at 11:00. But this could be good . . .

I realize that Lawler is almost 64 years old, but IF they let Lawler beat Punk, then Punk could go absolutely ape-s*** and really show a vicious streak. This could lead others to not giving him "his due respect" because he couldn't even beat a guy about to collect Social Security. There could actually be a character build-up here, if used right.

Unfortunately, it will probably be a squash match with Cena coming in to save the day.

I agree, i hope the match is quick and i hope he gets the andoconda vise in and doesnt stop untill 5 or 6 security guards have to pull him off. it would make him more of a heel and heat up the fued between him and Cena.

From the first time Punk came out and called Lawler for his remarks I figured it was going to culminate in a match between the two.

My bet is that since Punk can choose his opponent for the title and Cena didn't oblige to Punk's request that Punk will end up choosing Lawler as his next opponent.

AJ will refuse this request as Lawler is not an active wrestler. King will complain and a match will be set up for raw later that night with Lawler being given the chance to prove himself. Punk will dominate King and then just as the finish is coming up Cena will come out and Punk will react. King will go for a roll up, and get a long 2. Punk will get up GTS for the 1,2,3 and then a stare down with Cena.

Next week Punk will come out and award Cena the match and insist he will force Cena to respect him. Lawler will say that having been in the ring with Punk that he believes that Punk may in fact be the best in the world, but that he wouldn't count Cena out either.

From the first time Punk came out and called Lawler for his remarks I figured it was going to culminate in a match between the two.

My bet is that since Punk can choose his opponent for the title and Cena didn't oblige to Punk's request that Punk will end up choosing Lawler as his next opponent.

AJ will refuse this request as Lawler is not an active wrestler. King will complain and a match will be set up for raw later that night with Lawler being given the chance to prove himself. Punk will dominate King and then just as the finish is coming up Cena will come out and Punk will react. King will go for a roll up, and get a long 2. Punk will get up GTS for the 1,2,3 and then a stare down with Cena.

Next week Punk will come out and award Cena the match and insist he will force Cena to respect him. Lawler will say that having been in the ring with Punk that he believes that Punk may in fact be the best in the world, but that he wouldn't count Cena out either.

Nice, now I don't have to watch Raw for the next month. No, seriously, this is EXACTLY how it's going to go down. And nobody will care except the guys being buried on the roster.

YAWN WWE re-hashing the Miz angle from a year and a half ago, this company really is struggling with new ideas and concepts. it will be boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back