Please, bow your heads for a moment of silence

The Dewbliners

WZ's Whedonite. Now 20% Cooler
Today, we mourn the death of a legend. The passing of an era. For today, the greatest Reds manager of all time passed away. He was 76.

RIP, Sparky Anderson.

Please, show your respect here.

“We averaged 96 wins my nine years in Cincinnati. We had Bench, Rose, Morgan, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion and Geronimo. Imagine what I could have done if they (the Reds front office) had given me some players!”

“If I ever find a pitcher who has heat, a good curve and a slider, I might seriously consider marrying him, or at least proposing.”

He was also one funny motherfucker....

Here's a few more.

Me carrying a briefcase is like a hot dog wearing earrings.”
“He’s (Willie Stargell has) got power enough to hit home runs in any park, including Yellowstone.”
“My idea of managing is giving the ball to Tom Seaver and sitting down and watching him work.”
“I’ve got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them. There’s no future in it.”
“We averaged 96 wins my nine years in Cincinnati. We had Bench, Rose, Morgan, Perez, Foster, Griffey, Concepcion and Geronimo. Imagine what I could have done if they (the Reds front office) had given me some players!”
“If I ever find a pitcher who has heat, a good curve and a slider, I might seriously consider marrying him, or at least proposing.”
“You give us the pitching some of these clubs have, and no one could touch us, but God has a way of not arranging that because it’s not as much fun.”
“Just give me 25 guys on the last year of their contracts; I’ll win a pennant every year.”
“I don’t believe a manager ever won a pennant. Casey Stengel won all those pennants with the Yankees. How many did he win with the Boston Braves and Mets?”
“I don’t want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench.”

“Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind, then the manager is a success.”
“Players have two things to do: Play and keep their mouths shut.”
“I only had a high school education, and believe me, I had to cheat to get that.”
“I don’t know why the players make such a big fuss about sitting in the first-class section of the plane. Does that mean they’ll get there faster?”
“I can’t believe they pay us to play baseball – something we did for free as kids.”
“The players make the manager. It’s never the other way.”
“The only reason I’m coming out here tomorrow is because the schedule says I have to.”

Here's a few more.

Me carrying a briefcase is like a hot dog wearing earrings.”
“He’s (Willie Stargell has) got power enough to hit home runs in any park, including Yellowstone.”
“My idea of managing is giving the ball to Tom Seaver and sitting down and watching him work.”
“I’ve got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them. There’s no future in it.”
“You give us the pitching some of these clubs have, and no one could touch us, but God has a way of not arranging that because it’s not as much fun.”
“Just give me 25 guys on the last year of their contracts; I’ll win a pennant every year.”
“I don’t believe a manager ever won a pennant. Casey Stengel won all those pennants with the Yankees. How many did he win with the Boston Braves and Mets?”
“I don’t want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench.”

“Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind, then the manager is a success.”
“Players have two things to do: Play and keep their mouths shut.”
“I only had a high school education, and believe me, I had to cheat to get that.”
“I don’t know why the players make such a big fuss about sitting in the first-class section of the plane. Does that mean they’ll get there faster?”
“I can’t believe they pay us to play baseball – something we did for free as kids.”
“The players make the manager. It’s never the other way.”
“The only reason I’m coming out here tomorrow is because the schedule says I have to.”

You thieved those from Cincinnati.com, didn't you?

Wow thats a shitty deal, my mom allways talked about him being one of the greats when I was whatching ball as a kid. Good coach, and a good person.

Yeah, whats your problem? I was saying he was one of the greats. Its not like I came in and shit on your thread? I'm generally saddened by his death to. I didn't know the man or grow up seeing him, but what he was was a great coach and a good person.

Sorry, having a shitty day in general. I tend to take it out on the easiest targets.

Then why the fuck me? Its pointless to do that? I don't give two shits but generally when someone agrees with you thats not a good point to do that.

Then why the fuck me? Its pointless to do that? I don't give two shits but generally when someone agrees with you thats not a good point to do that.

I wouldn't have done it, had you not referred to the Skipper as a coach. That title is below him. He was a manager. That was the only point I was making.

I wouldn't have done it, had you not referred to the Skipper as a coach. That title is below him. He was a manager. That was the only point I was making.

Whats wrong with coach? Coach, manager, skipper, boss. All names for what he did in the biz. Thats what he did, he coached people to wins, He managed a team, he was the boss and the skipper. Therefore no names are below him that respect, because he was all of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back