Play of the Week

Lets see how this works out...

Basically, come here to discuss what you think the best play of the last seven days was. Obviously, plays will be based on athleticism, skill, creativity, innovativeness, and in game situation. Any sport is allowed and you can nominate as many plays as you want, as long as it happened in the time frame.

So lets start by looking at the week of Wednesday, December 15th - Tuesday, December 21.

I nominate Eagles WR DeSean Jackson's game winning punt return as time expired from their game vs. the Giants on 12/19.

[YOUTUBE]n-NC2w0cFEs[/YOUTUBE]

The Eagles had just come back from 21 down in less than 10 minutes. It was looking like this game was clearly going to overtime, but then Giants punter Matt Dodge didnt get the punt out of bounds. Jackson dropped the ball at first and just about every Giants player was right there. But then Jackson bursted through a hole with his blazing speed, got a huge block by Jason Avant, and finished off an improbable comeback with the game winning punt return.

I'd imagine most people are going to vote/select the Desean Jackson punt return. I'm not saying it doesn't deserve it as it was a great play to top off an even greater comeback, but this play below is something that just makes you chuckle and realize that the return came isn't always about speed, agility, and finese. Sometime you just need a rumblin', bumblin', and stumblin' kind of guy back there.

So my nominee for this week is:

[youtube]ufkHymQEuqc[/youtube]

The punter should have avoided Desean, but a kicker should be kicking it near a lineman at all times. However Dan Connolly says otherwise. If he would've scored I'd imagine it would be a closer vote, but still a great and humorous play either way.

I absolutely love that Connolly return, but it has to go to Jackson. The fact that it was the game winner, a walk-off return makes it that much better. Forget the fact that they shouldn't have kicked it to him, as that is irrelevant to how great that play was. He drops the catch and looks like the play is done. Then 10 seconds later he's in the endzone. He found a hole, used his speed and a huge block and capped an incredible comeback. That play basically wrapped up the division for the Eagles and could be a crushing blow for the Giants.

I love the Connolly return. I was laughing so hard. It was great to see how tightly he held that ball as he went through the pile, and once he came out and saw the open field, he kicked it up a notch and ran as fast as he could. The cut back at about the 10 or 15 yard line was great as well. But my one problem with the return is the final four yards. I hate the Patriots, but I was really hoping he would make it to the endzone. If he would have scored the touchdown, I think he would have a great case to be better than Jackson's return. But even with the touchdown, Jackson's return is gonna live not only in the folklore of the Eagles, but probably the Giants as well. I'm not sure I can say the same about Connolly's return.

It has to go to Jackson here, as fun as the Dan Connelly return was to watch. Jackson fumbled the football, picked it up, and wove his way through traffic to score the only game ending punt return in NFL history. That alone in and of itself is a feat and should easily be the play of the week, and among the top 5 plays of the year. It capped off one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history, and cemented the division title for the Eagles. Jackson was brilliant here in using his speed and finding a hole after fumbling the football, which says alot about his composure here as well. This goes to Jackson.

The plays listed so far have been great but I think the play of the week so far has got to be Brandon Lloyd's touchdown catch on Sunday from Tim Tebow. The announcers didn't even consider it a catch until they saw a replay. Brandon Lloyd has been playing some great football this year and is probably the best receiver in the NFL at making the spectacular catch.

[youtube]nmauv8ps_Zs[/youtube]

Every time I hear of Brandon Lloyd I still think of this:

lloyd_ducks.gif

But he is having a spectacular year and that is really one of the many great plays he has made this season. And I know the Jackson play should (and probably will) win the vote, I just through out the Connolly return to just add another play to the discussion. Plenty of great plays this week, but sometimes there are just those that rise above the rest (like Desean's return). Hell another return could get some love too in that of Hagler's from the Colts returning the Onside Kick to seal the deal for the Colts or even the Eagles surprise onside kick that truly got them back into the game.

The Mike Dunleavy tip-in to beat the Hornets was pretty fucking impressive, as was Blake Griffins trio of monster dunks against the Timberwolves.

Quite a few choices for Play of the Week on top of the ones that have been said.

[YOUTUBE]b5lI3aBROGU[/YOUTUBE]

I saw the Tim Tebow one and thought that if that one is mentioned than this one has to be. Both get tipped, and Lloyd made the catch on his ass. Moore bobbled it and was barely able to haul it in. Great play to tie the game from Moore in the 4th quarter.

[YOUTUBE]VAQhWnyqBG4[/YOUTUBE]

Dann Connolly had a great play earlier in the week. It brought me out to say "RUN FATMAN RUN!". Alas he didn't score. Kyle Arrington did this play later in the game to take the lead. Guy broke 4 tackles to get the touchdown. Impressive shit.

[YOUTUBE]lRoQ32T32N4[/YOUTUBE]

Because I can, whether anyone agrees or not I'm putting it up because it broke a record. If the U-Conn Women's team can get the top play on SC for winning 89 straight games, this can be considered Play of the Week.

Ok, so it looks like the top play last week was the Jackson punt return. Now lets take a look at the plays from the week of December 22 - December 28.

This one is a bit tougher than last week. Nothing really stands out for me. Also not helping is my short memory. So I nominate Joe Webb's touchdown run from last nights Vikings/Eagles game. A rookie QB playing for a team that has struggled all year, playing a team already in the playoffs and looking to get themselves in a better position. He did a great job of taking a play that looked like it was going nowhere and took it to the endzone. I thought he was going to be tackled at least three separate times, but he somehow found his way to the endzone.

I'm sure there are better plays that I forgot though, so lets hear them.

I'm going to go with Deandre Levy's go ahead pick 6 for the Lions against the Dolphins. With the game tied at 27, Levy picked off Chad Henne and had a nice return afterwards for a touchdown which ended up being the game winner. The combination of it being a nice return and the game winner puts it on top for me.

[YOUTUBE]2rVTWRIEcvs[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back