• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Plaxico Burress pleads guilty

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
According to ESPN, Burress pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possesion of a weapon, and will spend two years in prison and two years supervised release. I'm a little surprised here, I would have thought him and his lawyers would have fought harder for a better plea deal and perhaps avoid jail time or minimize to a year at most. This may be the end of Burress's career in my opinion, He's 32 now, and with 2 years of down time, he may not be the same receiver he was the last couple seasons. This is different from the Vick situation because Vick is only 29 after his prison sentence. But of course if the Eagles can take a flyer on Vick, I'm sure some team in the NFL will take a chance with Burress and sign him once he gets out. I"m just not so sure how good he will be at that point anymore.

It really is a shame that this idiotic incident will derail his career, especially since he was in his prime when it went down. So do you guys think Plax will be any good when he gets out?

He'll be serviceable, but likely nothing more than a number 3 receiver. His career was on the decline anyway, even before he shot himself. He was always a pretty talented guy and he definetly had the size to be successful, but he just wan't ever motivated enough to reach his full potential. Because he has the talent he'll get a shot with some team, but I don't think he'll be that much of a factor.

He's basically stuck in the Michael Vick limbo right now. Even though he has great skill as a wide receiver, he's also labeled himself as a problem-player. Most likely he'll be back in the NFL after his prison sentence is through, but he'll never be at the level that he was previously at.

EDIT: Nevermind the sentence that was here earlier.

The worst thing about this entire situation is that Plaxico Burress wasn't going to hurt anyone. He has no ill will towards anyone and was simply carrying the gun for protection, just like many other high-profile athletes do. I could have sworn that I read that the gun was registered in Flordia, so Plaxico may have even thought he was carrying the gun legally. It's just an awful situation. It could have all been avoided if he didn't wear sweat pants to the club.

When he gets out of jail, he'll still be able to play football at a high level. Wide Receivers can typically play a bit longer than others due to their game relying more on speed and quickness more than anything else. Plaxico should still have that. Look at Joey Galloway. He's 58 years old, yet still runs one of the fastest forty times in the league. Plaxico might be the same way. His height won't change, so he'll still be able to get up and there above the defenders. His career isn't over. He's not going to make near as much money as before, but he'll be a decent option for a team in need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back