Phoenix Region, Vancouver Subregion: First Round: (15) DDP vs. (18) Sheamus

Who Wins This Match

• Diamond Dallas Page

• Sheamus

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the BC Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

bcplace.jpg

#15 Diamond Dallas Page

ddp4.jpg

Vs.

#18 Sheamus

0818_sheamus.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

I'm kinda torn between them. In one corner you have the master of the Diamond Cutter, where he made the RKO look weak in comparison. In the other corner you have a pissed off Irish bleached man who became a 2-time WWE champion in less than a year.

Sheamus is good and powerful in the ring, but psychology is on the side of DDP. You didn't think he beat Randy Savage throughout their rivalry in 1997 based on having a hot wife do you? DDP is innovative and fun to watch. He'll catch Sheamus off-guard, and hit the Diamond Cutter in his own unique way.

My vote: DDP FEEL THE BANG!!!!

I'm a fan of the Celtic King but DDP was my idol growing and I can't vote against him unless under special circumstances and this isn't one of them. Sheamus is a beast no doubt but he's been on a losing streak as of late. DDP has beaten bigger and stronger men than Sheamus. The Big Show would be a perfect example. I see this match ending with Sheamus having DDP in the High Cross position only for it to be countered into the Diamond Cutter in the 14 minute mark of the match.

I think Sheamus could provide a challenge to DDP simply because of his power and aggression. That being said, the Diamond Cutter truly finished guys.

DDP FTW.

This is a hard match to call, both characters are top notch and fun to watch. Even though he's only been in the business for year or so Sheamus as proven himself to be a capable competitor that can hold his own against the heavy hitter... in fact he is a heavy hitter... a nice blend of power and athletism.

However, DDP is alot like Randy Orton [a man who has had Sheamus's number as of late] in both mind and style. A calm and methodical competitor who doesn't hesitate to exploit his opponents weaknesses. I've noticed that Sheamus's biggest weakness is that he likes to take his time against his opponents, making them suffer and inadvertenly giving them time to recover... and that will cost him against DDP, who's just one quick Diamond Cutter away from the 3 count.

And even though DDP loves to showboat, he wouldn't be doing so against a guy like Sheamus... he'd have his serious face on.

DDP has been consistently entertaining throughout his entire career. I remembered him during his WCW days (even have a picture of him and I doing the diamond-cutter symbol when I was a kid), and I marked the fuck out for him when he made his debut in the WWE, stalking the Undertaker. Hell, even when he was reduced to a comedy jobber, he stayed entertaining.

Sheamus had a very entertaining rise to the top, but holy hell, has he been boring lately. Even winning the King of the Ring, the tournament that shot Stone Cold Steve Austin into superstardom, didn't do anything for him.

DDP is consistently entertaining. Sheamus was entertaining. DDP goes over for me.

Sheamus will come out over powering DDP in this match, Sheamus' power will defiantly where DDP out for most of the match, but i see DDP hitting the Diamond Cutter and ending it
Winner: DDP in 12 minutes

DDP, DDP, DDP- yea he was great 15 yrs ago. would make orton look like a bitch now (RKO VS DC)but fade away in a few weeks. he was the 'working class' champ & had some good fueds. But why are people relying so much on the recent deflated push sheamus has gotten? He was a freaking monster for about 2 years (his first 2 years to add) & then the wwe lost the ball in regards to booking 90% of storylines im-properly, they went into scramble mode. in the process certian guys were left behind & sheamus was one of them.

Page (old as hell back then at his peak, was injured alot,,,--alot) & still had some fantastic matches. But sheamus would have destroyed him as he had done to quite a few in his push to the title. If he wasnt in booking limbo having to lose to mark henry, we all kno he would be destroying the roster once again. the man is vicious. unfortunately the 'beeker' lookalike is being mis used now, but no one can deny the devastation he caused the first few years in the WWE. Sheamus would pummel him till he woke up thinking he was back with david arquette making ready to rumble. Sheamus takes out DDP in a big ass brawl. Sheamus is just too strong\quick\young for DDP to handle.

DDP was very innovative in his ways of hitting the diamond cutter, but in this match my vote goes to sheamus. Yes he has been on the bad end of booking the last while but look at his first 2 years in wwe. He beat the superhuman, near unbeatable, John Cena for his first ever title reign. He put the game HHH out of action for nearly a year. Ended the career of that little pitbull jamie nobel( who although was never booked well had a mean look). Sheamus has no remorse and is ruthless and could end it with the high(celtic) cross or the brouge kick.

Plus it helps that he's irish :)

Wow, how close this match has been so far actually surprises me. I really expected it to be taken one way or another. Should be interested to watch the votes climb.

My vote has to go to Diamond Dallas Page. For one I'm trying to vote the WCW alumni to the top, but I honestly see DDP winning this one clean. Page is as someone else said, a very methodical wrestler. He has a pretty wide move set too, which I think helps him get over Sheamus. His style is perfect for Sheamus in my opinion. If we were going by other criteria, I would take DDP as being more over then Sheamus any day. His matches, feuds, promo's, etc, were always very entertaining and he always put on a show. When he came to wrestle his best, he wrestled his best.

Sheamus is a new guy. Great up and comer, but at this time in his career I can't vote for him over Diamond Dallas Page. Sheamus has the vicious intent and brutal power, but DDP would catch him with that always dangerous Diamond Cutter.

Sheamus will win in a match up between the two with his aggression and power. Sheamus can lay claim to almost ending the career of HHH and beating SuperCena for his first title. He survived a fatal 4 way and pinned Cena again to win his second title. He is one of a very select few that can claim he has Cena's number.

Vote for the Celtic KING!

Sheamus is just too young, period.

I don't understand how anyone could vote for Sheamus here, unless you've only been watching wrestling for a couple of years.

I do not like Sheamus, at all; I could easily be one of his biggest haters on this board if I ever felt the need to express my dislike for the guy, but even then most of the time I just feel he isn't worth it.

That said, I know he has some talent. I also he realize he has one of the best, most unique looks we've seen in pro wrestling in quite some time. And I also understand why he has such a strong fanbase throughout the IWC. However, even the biggest Sheamus fan on this planet cannot yet say he is better than DDP was in any way, shape, or form.

Sheamus has yet to have as good as DDP has had against the likes of Randy Savage, Raven, Benoit, and Goldberg (yes... DDP got a great match out of that worthless piece of shit Goldberg, believe it or not). Sheamus has yet to receive a pop that comes anywhere near the reactions DDP used to get in WCW. And kayfabe wise... listen, I've seen DDP fight off the entire flock, and also the nWo, on multiple occasions, whereas Sheamus couldn't fight off a bunch of rookies in Nexus. Edge goes to: DDP.

Look up your WCW history folks and vote for one of the greatest, most exciting and entertaining wrestlers to ever wrestle in the company, Diamond Dallas Page.

DDP is by far one of my favorite WCW wrestlers ever but the strength and over powering of Sheamus makes me lean to vote for him.

Should be a very decent match with Sheamus hitting a surprise Brouge Kick for the win.

I despite DDP and everything he stood for. He was a poor man's Rock. Calling himself the people's champion and offering his ex-wife's pussy to Eric Bischoff for a push to the WHC. Well, that last part is nothing like The Rock, but you get my point.

I'm a huge hater of DDP and in a match against someone who could turn his lights out... I'm going to vote against him. Sheamus is nowhere near his peak... and he's already a sound wrestler with a mean streak. I'm not 100 percent sold on Sheamus, but I do hate DDP a lot... and think that in a neutral ring with no Eric Bischoff to book the match, Sheamus wins with a Brogue Kick and Celtic Cross.

I voted for DDP.

Eventually this has a different outcome. I think Sheamus will pass every accolade that Page had as far as Title reigns go. That is Mid-Card Titles and World Titles. But right now, I can't deny DDP's accomplishments and feel this match would go to him.

I see Sheamus trying The Pale Justice Crucifix Powerbomb (or Celtic Cross, whatever you want to call it) and Page slipping off behind him. Sheamus turns and DDP grabs his head and nails him with The Diamond Cutter. DDP wins this match.

I think DDP is a very underrated talent. He only became an active competitor in his 30s, after being a manager for years before that. He did extremely well to reach the level of success he did, with a great gimmick and a pretty decent move set, topped off by the iconic Diamond Cutter which could be hit from absolutely anywhere.

Sheamus has the size and power, but Page has the experience and intelligence to work on the Irishmans weakness and then catch Sheamus out of nowhere with the Diamond Cutter.

Whether its an upset or not, Page advances here.

SELF HIGH FIVE!!

DDP takes a lot of heat for bullshit reasons. My guess is most people who hate on DDP remember his terrible run with the WWF, and didn't watch much WCW. He was constantly putting on solid-to-great matches, and was really over for a few years there.

Also, DDP was a resilient bastard. He could take a brutal beating, and still hit the Diamond Cutter out of nowhere. The Diamond Cutter is the most important thing to me i this match. Sheamus is too dumb and slow to hit DDP with that kick of his or the Razor's Edge. DDP by Diamond Cutter... out of freakin' nowhere!

The day might come when Sheamus will be considered to be greater than or at least an equal to DDP but that day has not come yet.

DDP used to get insanic pops back in 1997 and it could be very easily argued that with Sting being mostly a non competitor, he was the biggest face in WCW. While niether guy is a great in ring technician, both guys have had great matches. Another thing that is common between them at this point their world title reigns were not exactly great. Sheamus' first title reign was shit and no one bought him as a legit champion while his second one was decent but featured some very bad matches with Randy Orton. DDP was an extremely over face but he was turned heel as soon as he won the title and that did no good for his own popularity or for WCW.

The thing that clinches the deal for DDP are his pops and moments. Sheamus took out HHH and while that is an pretty good achievement, it does not compare to the stuff DDP when he stood up to the nWo or in his feud with Savage.

It's DDP today but it could very well be Sheamus in a couple of years.

Vote DDP!!!

I was never a huge fan of DDP. I mean I thought the guy was alright but I never saw the huge appeal that he seems to generate in some others. He was pretty good inside the ring and was also pretty good on the mic.

Sheamus is someone that I've liked since he first showed up on Raw. I just liked the guy overall from his unique appearance to his rough style to his mic work.

Both guys are multi time World Champions though I can't say I'm overly impressed with DDP's time as WCW World Heavyweight Champion. His 3 reigns happened when the quality of WCW was extremely low and they equaled a grand total of 29 days. Sheamus' 2 reigns as WWE Champion weren't exactly amazing, but they were pretty respectable totaling 161 days.

I think it'd be a fun, interesting and competitive match that could legitimately go either way. I can't really blame anyone for voting DDP but I'm going with Sheamus. If Sheamus can avoid the Diamond Cutter then I think he'd just wear DDP down.

DDP. He's dealt with bigger and meaner men than Sheamus. Guys like Nash, Goldberg and Hogan. Sheamus has shown to be pretty one-dimensional in and out of the ring. While DDP developed good mic skills, charisma and ring ability from the ground up. You can't beat experience. And Sheamus has shown to lose to it. In my eyes, if it weren't for Triple H, he'd just be your standard mid-card monster. Except he's the butt of many internet jokes. DDP's Diamond Cutter can get the win over the Lobster Head.

Too many limes.

Personally I would love to see this match. I love what DDP was able to do for himself in 1997. He turned himself from a nobody into one of the top 3 faces in the company. He had one helluva run, and the shit he could do with the Diamond Cutter still makes me mark out.

I'm drinking the Sheamus Kool-Aid. His potential and upside are off the charts, and if he gets someone like Triple H pushing him behind the scenes, the sky is limitless. He has great power, I love the character, and is simply a unique guy.

I'm not voting on potential though. DDP takes the nod in a match I would love to see.

Sheamus has been painted as a world beater for pretty much the whole of his stay in WWe and has become a victim of Trips Vs Undi (make him look weak, then HHH overlooking being put out for almost a year in favour of avenging HBK). He's a two time world champ, KotR, won a war with the cerebral assassin and retired a veteran in Jaimie Noble. At any stage of his WWe run he'd be a strong opponent for DDP.

DDP is one of my favourite wrestlers of all time but was only regarded as a main eventer for a short period of his career - he went from manager to (comedy) jobber to working his way up the belts (TV to US to World) and his stay in the E was extremely underwhelming. At the top of his prowess this would be a very tight call.

Too much of Paige's career was mid card or below, SOS has always been at the top of the card. Sheamus pushes off a cutter attempt and hits DDP as he turns with the brogue kick just sneaking the 123 mere seconds before the 20 minute time limit.

My original thought here was to go with DDP. Longevity in the business who was pretty good back in the day. The diamond cutter was a pretty good finisher. After all, it must be; it is the same as the Stone Cold Stunner and the RKO, and these guys have made out OK in the professional wrestling business.

However, in my opinion, Sheamus is just too powerful for DDP to handle. He's a big guy with a unique look, decent mic skills, and of course, friends in high places, which never hurts.

So in the end, my choice is the Celtic Warrior.

There is no denying that DDP was in his prime during his stay in WCW, and his time in WWE was almost a polar opposite.

In WCW, DDP was one of the most popular stars who has been able to take any form of punishment inside the ring and keep on going, constantly looking for that one opportunity to connect with the Diamond Cutter, often putting his opponents away for the match. I feel like the same would happen in his match against Sheamus.

Sheamus would be able to give Page an intense beatdown, but once Page connected with his finisher out of nowhere, it would be over.

While Sheamus might be on a decline as of late, even when he was at the highest point in his career, he would be a Diamond Cutter away from defeat, especially from one of WCW's most popular stars.

However, in my opinion, Sheamus is just too powerful for DDP to handle. He's a big guy with a unique look, decent mic skills, and of course, friends in high places, which never hurts.

Sheamus really isn't that big, he's only 6'6 around 270. DDP is about 6'5 250. DDP has also beaten the likes of The Giant, Lex Luger, Scott Steiner, and Kevin Nash so he is more then capable of beating guys who have a strength advantage over him. Sheamus is off to a good start in his career but no way does he beat DDP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back