Phoenix Region, NC Subregion: First Round: (11) Rick Rude vs. (22) Dean Malenko

Who Wins This Match

• Rick Rude

• Dean Malenko

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina

greensboro-coliseum.jpg

#11 Rick Rude

10.jpg

Vs.

#22 Dean Malenko

malenko2.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

I put Rick Rude as being one of the top Intercontinental Champions of all time simply because he has the intimidation factor that Malenko doesn't have. Malenko won't go quietly though, he is a man of 1,000 holds.

A good 10 minutes, and Rude would have the tights after Malenko tries to put one of his fancy submissions on him.

My vote: "Ravishing" Rick Rude.

Very close match, defiantly one of the closest in the first round, I just feel like Malenko got over more in his prime (not taking anything away from Rude he was great this is just my opinion), so im picking the man of 1,000 holds in a very exciting lengthy match.
Winner: Malenko in 18 minutes

I'm taking Malenko.

This would be a very good match. This would be a clinic with back and forth moments, and some good technical back and forth. I'm going to have to vote Dean in a very close lengthly match, ending with a Texas Cloverleaf close to the end time limit.

Wow this is kind of close for me, I love how Rick oozed that kind of heel action that only he could really do. From his "pretty" boy looks to having women air brushed on his tights. Rick was always in top shape for the most part, and he let you know it with hard hitting moves, and a slick heel playbook that could keep you on your toes.

Dean on the other hand was BUISNESS, he got in and got out. You head Dean Malenko on a card and you know that’s 9/10 going to be a great match. The man of a thousand holds is along with Kurt Angle and a few others one of the best technical wrestlers ever.

For me I see Rick trying some old school heel tactics but Dean will gain the upper hand, Back breaker into a Texas Cloverleaf and Rick taps.

It's not even close here how bad Dean Malenko would totally destroy Rick Rude.

Rude would be in the ring, cutting a promo wearing his sweet pants. The next thing you know, Dean Malenko would come in the ring, drop toe hold, Texas Cloverleaf, TAPPAGE. Then, just to prove how superior Malenko really is, he would go on several dates with Lita.

Once again, this is a very, very close matchup between two guys who wer both excellent midcard performers, but I voted Rick Rude in this one, if for no other reason than overall sucess as a pro. There is no doubt in my mind that Malenko,"the man of a thousand holds" would have early dominance with superior technical ability, but the way I can percieve this matchup going is that Rude, w/Bobby Heenan in his corner, and with natural physical toughness and power would find a wayto cheat and win this. We all know that Malenko posesses superior wrestling ability than Rude, but RR is one of the finest heels ever to grace the upper midcard of WWF or,for that metter any other organization that he ever appeared in. I think that his superior size and strength, tenacity, and lack of morals, along w/Bobby Heenan in his corner gets him a cheap and tainted, yet legitamate victory. Malenko was a sound inring technician, and bonafide tough, but I believe that a promoter or booker would book Rude to win this one,due to the relative lack of color, or drawing ability of Malenko. Rude drew better crowds. Rude inflamed fans more. Rude derserves to get the win here,albiet a tainted one.

Malenko.

One of the most technicaly sound wrestlers ever. Man of 1,000 holds and he might actully know that many and it will just take one of the good ones to take out Rick Rude.

This would be a great match in real life. Two technical, underrated wrestlers who, in their prime, could've headlined if they had the opportunity.

The longer the match goes, the better it is for Malenko. I can't see the Ravishing one ended this quickly, Malenko was always resilient whether against Rey Mysterio or The Giant.

Malenko by Texas Cloverleaf

I'm gonna give this one to Mr. Malenko. I just don't think Rude has the technical know-how to out wrestle The Man of 1,000 holds. Malenko would work quickly on Rude, picking a part of his body and wearing down with various holds before he locks in a major submission and gets the tap. The only way Rude wins here is if he's able to get some serious interference on behalf of Bobby Heenan, but I think Heenan would be more worried about some of his other boys this early in the tourney. Malenko wins by submission.

Rick Rude all the way. Malenko may have had more holds, but at any time during either of their careers, Rude would have had more momentum. I think Dean Malenko was an awesome wrestler. His style was a rare technical style that was also fun to watch, as well as picture perfect.

But I think he eventually loses to Rude. Shame this match has to take place with a 20 minute time limit, because I could easily sit back and watch these 2 wrestle for an hour. I think in a longer match, Malenko might have a bit of an advantage because he has so many wrestling holds. But, after 19 minutes goes by, it screams a Rick Rude pull of the tights or leg on the ropes.

I don't think Malenko would do enough in the time limit to decisively finish Rude. So an abrupt ending by Rude using some Heel tactics seems like the only way this match could go.

Rick Rude was awesome. He should have held the world title, no doubt about it. He had all the tools, but unfortunately wasn't given the opportunity.

However, in this match he is up against who I believe to be one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time in The Ice Man Dean Malenko.

Rude was much more charismatic and powerful than Malenko and after taking control early on, Rude's posing to the array of bikini models with ringside seats costs him, as Malenko capitalises and begins to pick apart Rude's legs, completely immobilising him and a texas cloverleaf gives Malenko the tap-out victory, and he leaves with the models draped over his arm.

Malenko in 15 mins

Since I like both of these guys equally, I have to go completely kayfabe.

Rude is too big, too strong, and too good. Depending on where you look, Rude had roughly 5 inches and 40 lbs. on Malenko. And it's not like that size came by Rude being a fat slob. He was as fit as they come, and just too much man for Malenko. Rude beat guys much tougher than the competition Malenko faced, so Rude takes this one. Tough choice, love me some Malenko.

This would be a pretty fun match and a good mesh of styles. Malenko is clearly the superior technical wrestler and mat grappler while Rude is obviously bigger, stronger and probably more athletic overall.

As much as I like Malenko, I just don't think he'd be able to get past Rude. Rude himself was no slouch inside the ring and his superior physical capabilities would just be too much for Malenko to overcome. Besides, when you look at some of Rude's accomplishments and some of the superstars he scored wins over, Malenko just doesn't measure up. I'd say this match would last to about the 10 minute mark before Malenko fell victim to the Rude Awakening.

I'm taking Dean Malenko in the upset that doesn't look like much of an upset. I think Rude would have a clear advantage early in the match, but during some posing for the crowd, Malenko rolls him into a pinfall or submission manuever that catches Rude off guard. Rude could've taken this one, if not for his vanity.

Rick Rude has been a part of some of the most extreme feuds in his time period. Some say that he would have been a perfect fit for the Attitude Era. He was a superior mic worker than Malenko and has more kayfabe achievements than him. Malenko is a better wrestler than Rude but then if it were to come down to in ring skill then Malenko would have been the winner every single time. Also Rude was no slouch in the ring. He and Ultimate Warrior had some great matches in their feud and as we all know it was not an easy thing to have a great match with The Ultimate Warrior.

Also it must be noted that Rude has beaten some very technically skilled wrestlers one of whom is the "Nature Boy" Ric Flair. I cannot see why he should lose against Malenko. Malenko has had some great matches in the past but he has never beaten any one notable. He may have beaten some future World Champions like Jericho and Guerrero but it was before they struck big. Rude has beaten Ric Flair in his prime and that should seal the deal.

Vote for Rick Rude!!!

This has to go to Rude. I like Malenko. I enjoyed his matches and thought he was great in the ring. For as highly regarded as he is he never made it much further than the cruiserweight ranks. Rude was a main event talent. If these two were booked in a match the main event guy would prevail.

Rude had the one thing Dean never had. Natural charisma. He had the look of a star. But meanwhile, Malenko is easily one of the top technical wrestlers to ever hit TV. It's a pretty tough call, but given Malenko's records in WCW when it came to bigger men, I'd say Rude takes this one.

Rick Rude, very easy. I'm surprised this match is this close. Look, I love Dean Malenko, but he was as Hogan said, a Vanilla midget. He had a good run with light weight belts, and sniffed the mid card. Rick Rude was flirting with the main eventers in the WWF, and won the world title in WCW (yes the International title is considered a world title).

Dean Malenko is a better wrestler in terms of tossing people around on the mat, but professional wrestler with in ring ability, charisma and charater, Rick Rude all day.

Unless you are voting purely on in ring work then Rude takes this easily. Rude was better on the mic, more charismatic, and had a more successful career. I like Malenko as much as the next guy and very few could match his in ring work but overall Rick Rude was the better superstar and would win this match.

Dean Malenko to prevail here in a grueling and hard fought match. Both of these guys were good when they were in their respective primes. But I think Malenko was the better man. Maybe if we had not lost Rude prematurely, he may have been able to convince me otherwise. But after all, 1000 holds are 1000 holds. I feel pretty confident that he could reach into his bag of tricks, and put any of a number of submission moves on the Ravishing one. Definitely a match whereby the eventual winner would be truly tested. And that winner would be Dean Malenko.

I started writing about how Rick Rude would be able to narrowly pullout a victory over Deam Malenko, but then convinced myself that Malenko might be able to be the victor. While writting about how Malenko would be able to make Rude tap, I thought about why Rude would win again.

While it was difficult for me to decide, I finally was able to make a decision - Rick Rude.

I think when all is said and done, as cheap of a reason as this may be, Rick Rude is one heel tactic away from victory over Malenko. That's not saying that Rude has to depend on outside interference, or a cheap shot, or pulling the tights etc to get the victory because Rude has proven that he can be physical and technical inside the ring.

For all his technical prowess, who did Malenko beat exactly? The answer is nobody even half as important to the history of pro wrestling or as good as Rick Rude. To be a successful wrestler, you need to engage the audience, which is something that Malenko never could really pull off. He came to WWE, and while Guerrero and Benoit went on to the main event, he somehow managed to do worse than Perry Saturn, and his most notable feud was with Lita, a feud in which she had the upper hand almost all of the time.

Rude was always in and around the main event and is one of three wrestlers to ever beat the Ultimate Warrior. In the late 80s he dominated a WWE midcard that included in Dynamite Kid and Bret Hart far superior technical wrestlers to Malenko, and he'd have litte trouble beating Malenko here.

Damn, I love me some Dean Malenko but I can't justify voting him over Rick Rude. Malenko was probably better in the ring, but Rude is better than him in almost every category. He was a better speaker, he was more charismatic, had a better look, had a better career and many more. I agree with Tasty on pretty much everything he said. Dean Malenko never beat anyone that was worth a lot and is mostly remembered for being mocked in a promo by Chris Jericho, as well as some good matches.

On the other hand, Rude defeated a range of opponents whom Dean Malenko couldn't even hold a candle to. Such superstars as Sting, Ric Flair, Jake Roberts and he even defeated Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania, ending Warrior's undefeated streak; it may not have been clean but it's still a huge achievement. He was also part of the coolest thing I've ever seen and that was appearing on ECW, WWF and WCW all in a couple of days.

Like I said, I love me some Malenko but Rude is just plain better than him.

Sting at his peak and Ultimate Warrior at the height of his popularity. Those are the people that Rude beat for the WCW and WWE IC titles respectively. It's a case of who would do better on a bigger stage and Malenko simply hasn't been in a huge match that I know of. Mysterio and Jericho are great talents, but at the beginning of their careers? Not so much...

Rude also has a certain manager named Bobby Heenan with him. Rude will not lose this match.

Simply Ravishing OW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back