Phoenix Region, Fourth Round: Iron Man: (2) Andre the Giant vs. (6) Brock Lesnar

Who Wins This Match

• Andre the Giant

• Brock Lesnar

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a third round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix, Arizona.

phoenixstadium.jpg

It is an Iron Man Match.

Rules: There will be a sixty minute time limit. The most decisions earned in that time period will be victorious. A decision can be earned via pinfall, submission, countout or disqualification.

#2 Andre the Giant

andre-the-giant.jpg

Vs.

#6 Brock Lesnar

essentials-brock-lesnar.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 60 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

Brock has had the best luck in terms of drawing matches in this tournament. Their is no way Andre would be able to go 60 minutes with anyone let alone a machine like Brock. Lesnar has competed in an Iron man match before and showed great strategy during that match,but, thats not even important here seeing as how Andre would damn near be dead by the end of this match. Another vote for Brock here

Damnit I was really hoping Andre would go further but I'm not sure I could justify him going over Lesnar here. It's just a bad stip draw for the Giant. Iron Man just does not play into Andre's favor even in his prime. Not only will Lesnar have more endurance but he's actually won an Iron Man match before. Maybe someone will change my mind before the voting begins, but I'm thinking this is the end of the road for Andre.

Fuck, so both of my SHW's are going out to superior conditioned athletes in 60-minute Ironman matches? Well my tournament just came to an hour long crashing halt.

Brock, as a collegiate champion, isas well conditioned as an athlete gets. Also, Brock is the protoype wrestler who would and could go over Andre. He's strong enough to slam Andre, fast enough to dodge Andre, and tough enough to withstand Andre's attack.

Brock is winning. It's not gonna be close. It's gonna be a bummer.

If this was a singles match, I'd vote for Andre. In this match, however, it requires the participant to have good endurance. Andre's no slouch, but Lesnar has the tank to go full throttle from the start of the match to the end.

Furthermore, Brock Lesnar has won an iron man match, and from that match, we can see how comfortable he is in this match type. 12 minutes into the match, Brock used a steel chair to gain the upper hand. Granted he gave his opponent a point, from there on, he was in complete control. That was brilliant. Couple that with the fact that his dominance is present, and you have one tough opponent in Lesnar.

I see Andre gaining the first few falls, but Lesnar would use his wit and sheer athleticism and strength to come back and win.

I might catch some flack for this but I honestly don't know if I can vote for Andre in this setting. In his prime, Andre was someone that was just able to overwhelm his opponents with size and strength. I've never known Andre to wrestle a match lasting 60 minutes and it just wasn't his deal.

Brock Lesnar, as we all know, has been in an Iron Man match against Kurt Angle, a match that he won by the way. Brock Lesnar is also someone that's downright freakishly strong and deceptively athletic.

I have little doubt that there'd be times in the match where Andre physically dominated Lesnar. I've also little doubt that Andre would get a few falls in the match, but I don't think Andre is really cut out for a serious test of endurance.

I'm leaning towards Brock Lesnar and it's going to take a pretty convincing argument to sway my mind. What probably won't work is going around and listing all the guys that Andre beat back in his prime and all this. None of them were the same caliber of physical specimen as Brock Lesnar.

Have people forgotten about poor Andre already? Do a little research, the guy used to go to time limit draws routinely with some of the bigger names from the 70's. I know for sure he went 60 minutes with Nick Bockwinkle/el. I can almost be positive he went the limit with Harley Race as well, and I want to say Bob Backlund. Old School prime athlete Andre the Giant was a much different creature then the broken down One Last Run Giant the WWE has made sure we don't forget.

All that being said, fucking Brock is a beast. Things have been stated already, he's built to give Super Heavyweights hell. Lesnar routinely threw the Big Show around like nothing, no way he's not able to throw Andre around the ring. Brock is a unique animal, one the business has never seen, and probably will never see again. He has all the strength and power of a man 200 pounds larger then himself, but he has the cardio and agility of a cruiserweight.

Also, in Brock's one Iron Man match, he's shown the ring IQ to take a short term loss for a long term victory. I'm leaning heavily with Brock, but I'm not closing the door on Andre, and I don't think people should be so quick to write him off without proper research.

I'm going with Andre. Brock may be quick enough to dodge the big man but it doesn't mean he's going to do it. He always went straight at Big Show and he will try to do the same with Andre. The giant can wield a weapon as well and can use it to his advantage just like Brock. I know it's not going to be close in voting but I'm still sticking with Andre 3-2.

As Shocky has pointed out, Andre has pulled out 60 minutes matches before they were considered "Iron Man" contests. However, the fact that Andre has done that does not escape the fact that Lesnar was in another division all his own.

He was powerful, agile, quick, smart, and ruthless. Lesnar had all the qualities to be a guy who'd stay on top - for several years to come. Andre isn't quick by any means, and while Lesnar will have his hands full with the strength Andre had - the mere fact that Lesnar seemingly always (quite easily) handed Big Show his butt, means that while Andre is better than Big Show - there isn't a huge difference in comparison. Lesnar wins.

Lesnar will have the better conditioning for this match and that is what will ultimately win him this match. His strength will also help him out considerably, because without it I doubt he would be able to pick up enough pins or submissions to get past Andre. Andre is a legend but his conditioning is going to hurt him. Lesnar can go for long periods of times, minus his fight with Cain Velasquez. Once this fight gets past the half hour mark I expect Lesnar to turn the heat up on Andre and start pulling away from the big man. Lesnar wins.

Definitely Lesnar. Like many have already stated, this is where Lesnar shines, he out wrestles completely every fucking SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT the WWE can offer. While André has been in 60 minutes match, you just can't compare Harley Race to Brock Lesnar.

Lesnar is agile, athletic, has TONES of stamina, has beaten Hogan, Rock, Taker, HHH and Angle (in an iron match) and he is a fucking beast.

I can see at some point André having the upper hand, but a couple of F-5, belly to belly and german suplex later, we have a winner.

Lesnar advances 3-1.

I have to go with Lesnar in this one. As some have pointed out, Andre has had hour long matches before, so he would be able to at least last the entire match. But he never faced someone with the athletic ability of Lesnar for an entire hour. Lesnar is just a machine and if he wasn't the strongest man in the match, which rarely happened, he was able to use his outstanding wrestling skills to finish off his opponent. I feel a little guilty saying this, but my vote is for Lesnar.

As any heavyweight high school or college wrestler can state with me, your dream match is going against someone who isn't in as good of condition as you. Lesnar when he was in the WWE was in great condition and still is to this day. 7 minutes for heavyweights in college wrestling is hell, and with the best of the best a lot of matches go near or to the full allotted time. But Lesnar proved that he was the best of the best in 2000 and placing 2nd in 1999.

Lesnar has broke rings with men of Andre's size and carried his own against arguably the best technical wrestlers of his age. I Don't look for this to be a blowout win, if this were to be a match I could see Lesnar hitting f-5's and maybe something else to pin the Giant. But don't count Andre out, I would put this as 3-2 in favor of 3 falls for Lesnar to Andre's 2.

Poor arguments:

1)Andre cannot go an hour. This is so obviously false it is ridiculous.

I would be shocked if the average match time for Andre was not greater than what Brock had. That might not be the most relevant comparison except for the fact that Andre won more than Brock did. Brock is certainly in great shape but almost all of his workouts were geared towards building up for the short burst, not the long run. Brock has to expend more energy to do damage to Andre than vice versa.

2)Brock and the Big Show.

Any comparison beyond size with Andre and Big Show is stupid. Physically being able to do something is one thing. Executing it on a better opponent of similar build is an entirely different thing.

Any comparison beyond size with Andre and Big Show is stupid. Physically being able to do something is one thing. Executing it on a better opponent of similar build is an entirely different thing.
Maybe if this were a real sport. But in professional wrestling, guys often "get their stuff in" in the name of helping the match along. Lesnar is going to do to Andre exactly what he did to Show because that's how things are done.

Anyhow, I vote Lesnar because he has a better chest tattoo. A tough draw of random criteria for Andre, no question. But them's the breaks.

SD, once again you confirm that you have no clue what you're talking about. You're honestly comparing the era Andre wrestling in to the era Lesnar wrestled in? When Andre wrestled, the rosters had little to no depth. Matches went longer because of how many stall tactics are rest holds took place. The matches were not as individually demanding as they have been in Lesnar's time.

Andre also certainly NEVER faced an athlete with Lesnar's conditioning - not even Hogan. Big John Studd was almost as strong as Lesnar, but no where near in the condition.

Poor arguments:

1)Andre cannot go an hour. This is so obviously false it is ridiculous.

I would be shocked if the average match time for Andre was not greater than what Brock had. That might not be the most relevant comparison except for the fact that Andre won more than Brock did. Brock is certainly in great shape but almost all of his workouts were geared towards building up for the short burst, not the long run. Brock has to expend more energy to do damage to Andre than vice versa.

Yes, of course Andre can go an hour, when about 45 minutes of that hour are spent stalling, laying down, or being littered with interferences. In a straight match, where nobody can interfere, Andre can only survive for so long before Lesnar picks him to pieces.

If anything, Big Show would be the more athletic of the two. Show could actually maneuver around the ring, whereas Andre could barely walk during parts of his WWF run. I mean, Brock would have an even easier time with Andre than he did with Big Show, by this argument. You're working against yourself here, Shattered.

No doubt that Lesnar wins here. He is just too much for Andre to handle. Sure, Andre is a legend, but Lesnar is a ruthless beast. He will absolutely destroy Andre.

Damn I hate voting for the next big sell out but I fear he would own André in this setting, I see him stalling with sneak attacks and avoiding pinfalls and submissions for at least the first half hour and then exploiting his superior conditioning for the remaining time. I fear the Giant mightn't even get a consolation fall.

Taking away all personal hatred I have for Lesnar (no, not because he left wrestling, because he's a douche), and the love I have for Andre, I'm voting Lesnar.

People are mainly focusing on Andre, how big he was, how strong, etc. Brock wasn't your average opponent. I don't think I've ever seen a more impressive athlete in pro wrestling. He's one of the strongest I've ever seen, and one of the most physically fit. The guy had a crazy tolerance for punishment.

There aren't many guys I would vote over Andre, in any scenario. But Brock, in an Iron Man match, gets my vote. We're talking 60 mandatory minutes of wrestling. I think Andre, in his prime, can go 60 minutes. But can he handle someone like Brock, for 60 minutes? I doubt it. Not impossible to imagine, but Brock taking this one is much more likely, at least from where I'm sitting.

I'm sorry, but there seems to several gaps in logic in this thread. Let's explore a couple of them.

1) "Lesnar has better conditioning" - Say what? What are we basing this off of? The last two times I've seen Lesnar in a fight, he nearly got his head knocked off both times to Carwin and Velasquez. He got up walking around on wobbly legs. We've never Lesnar go longer than 3 rounds in the UFC, so we don't know what kind of conditioning he really has.

So I guess that means we go back to his WWE career where he had an Iron Man match. Well, as Shocky pointed out, Andre has gone to plenty of time limit draws in his career, so if we're saying Lesnar's pro wrestling career is evidence of his conditioning, then I suppose Andre has the same ability to go the distance, correct?

2)
Lesnar advances 3-1.

In his prime, Andre was unbeatable. Andre never got a World title, because there was no believable way for Andre to LOSE the title. So we're supposed to believe the guy who couldn't be beaten is going to lose three times in one match? That's asinine.

This has got to be Andre. It's a shame so many people are voting for the 1987 Andre the Giant, which we saw as being slow and at the end of his career due to his disease. If people were voting for the Andre the Giant which dominated pro wrestling for over a decade, then this would be a no-brainer win for Andre.

Don't be sucked into the big muscles of Brock Lesnar. Andre should be the winner here.

Andre should go over Lesnar in this in spite of his athleticism and presumed superior conditioning. In his prime, Andre was a taller, more skilled version of Big Show. According to all reports, interviews, etc that I have ever read or heard, the sheer physical strength of Andre was staggering. The late, great Gorilla Monsoon said a couple of things about Andre, one being that on any given night, NO ONE could defeat Andre in his prime, the other thing being that Andre's power was absolutely incalculable. Even Andre didn't know his own power. Getting back to the Big Show analogy, Andre was a better wrestler than Show, he wrestled longer matches more often than Show ever did, and in his physical prime(circa 1973-1983) was the single most dominating, intimidating physical presence to set foot in a wrestling ring. I concur that Lesnar posesses great skill and freakish power, but not enough to completely dominate and gain three conclusive match finishes(i.e. pinfalls or submissions) to defeat a giant who probably didn't lose three matches during the aforementioned decade when he was one of the biggest draws in sports entertainment. If Lesnar did try to shoot on an in prime Andre, I have virtually no doubt that Andre, who was known to get quite vicious in the ring if necessary, would just use his overwhelming size and superhuman physical power to seriously, seriously hurt Brock, and remind him that he could end his life if he wanted to. Brock is great, had an awesome run in his short tenure in the WWE, and is a legitimate tough guy and wrestler, but I just cannot wrap my head around the idea that in a 60 minute match, he would gain more pinfalls or submissions over a guy who lost less in a more active road schedule than 75% of the guys in the business
Another approach to take to this is would Andre allow, or would a promoter book Lesnar to go over in this match? Again, look at the overall trend, in that Andre would sell his ass off to help make another wrestler look good and give him a rub, but nobody pins the Giant. My kayfabe version of this would be a rather violent, brutal affair, with Lesnar probably doing some legitimate and serious damage. However, he is still facing a bona fide seven foot plus, 435 pound plus powerhouse who, when riled by an opponent who thinks he can legtimatey win, would very possibly unload a barrage of physical punishment that would even take down a machine like Brock. I may be wrong, and am sure someone will tell me so. So be it. Physics still plays a part here, and Andre's legitimate size advantage coupled with a probable strength advantage, and underrated wrestling ability allows him to take a tough, draining, but definitive win. Andre goes over 3-1.

I'm sorry, but there seems to several gaps in logic in this thread. Let's explore a couple of them..

1) "Lesnar has better conditioning" - Say what? What are we basing this off of? The last two times I've seen Lesnar in a fight, he nearly got his head knocked off both times to Carwin and Velasquez. He got up walking around on wobbly legs. We've never Lesnar go longer than 3 rounds in the UFC, so we don't know what kind of conditioning he really has.

Actually we do Sly, I've watched a lot of Lesnar and other heavyweight college wrestlers matches with my coaches. Lesnar was almost always outworking his opponents in his matches due to his superior conditioning. I'm sorry but this will be something I disagree with you on.

[YOUTUBE]pG8IXMP5zwg[/YOUTUBE]

I have to cite this video because I don't have all the dvd's and old tapes that my coaches have atm. But I've seen close to twenty matches Lesnar had when he was wrestling. I don't expect you to know the business of heavyweight college wrestling, but Lesnar in that match may look slow and stalling. But he is constantly trying to get wrist and hand control to open up his opponent for a shot or a power throw. Lets get this out in the open Hand and the whole Iowa team for years have been at the pinnacle of conditioning in college wrestling. Lesnar was dominate in the entire match, Wes hand never had the upper hand. Almost all shots and grounding were won by Lesnar. Of the shots the Wes had that he could of finished Lesnar worked away and stifled his attempts.

To your Ufc viewings, Brock is facing men of his own size and conditioning. I'm not going to argue that Andre for his size that he didn't have good conditioning. But really is he in the same shape as Carwin or Cain? Hell no he isn't, after looking up his previous weight training I found that in his prime Brock was doing a 720 pound dead lift. That is more than enough to lift up Andre. He was squatting 695 and compiled with an almost 500 pound bench that is more than enough to get Andre up in an F-5. While this was during his workouts for the Vikings, your citing Ufc as a reference for Lesnar's conditioning. I think it's fare to say that he could almost do that in the E'.

Sly he is in good enough condition to outwork Andre in his prime or at anytime. It would slow down in the later minutes, but Andre would be in if not worse shape than Brock. Brock wins this one.

Actually we do Sly, I've watched a lot of Lesnar and other heavyweight college wrestlers matches with my coaches. Lesnar was almost always outworking his opponents in his matches due to his superior conditioning. I'm sorry but this will be something I disagree with you on.

[YOUTUBE]pG8IXMP5zwg[/YOUTUBE]

I have to cite this video because I don't have all the dvd's and old tapes that my coaches have atm. But I've seen close to twenty matches Lesnar had when he was wrestling. I don't expect you to know the business of heavyweight college wrestling, but Lesnar in that match may look slow and stalling. But he is constantly trying to get wrist and hand control to open up his opponent for a shot or a power throw. Lets get this out in the open Hand and the whole Iowa team for years have been at the pinnacle of conditioning in college wrestling. Lesnar was dominate in the entire match, Wes hand never had the upper hand. Almost all shots and grounding were won by Lesnar. Of the shots the Wes had that he could of finished Lesnar worked away and stifled his attempts.

To your Ufc viewings, Brock is facing men of his own size and conditioning. I'm not going to argue that Andre for his size that he didn't have good conditioning. But really is he in the same shape as Carwin or Cain? Hell no he isn't, after looking up his previous weight training I found that in his prime Brock was doing a 720 pound dead lift. That is more than enough to lift up Andre. He was squatting 695 and compiled with an almost 500 pound bench that is more than enough to get Andre up in an F-5. While this was during his workouts for the Vikings, your citing Ufc as a reference for Lesnar's conditioning. I think it's fare to say that he could almost do that in the E'.

Sly he is in good enough condition to outwork Andre in his prime or at anytime. It would slow down in the later minutes, but Andre would be in if not worse shape than Brock. Brock wins this one.

Uhh...what? You post a 7 minute YouTube video to show Lesnar has superior conditioning to go 60 minutes? I'm afraid I'm not following your logic there.

I know Brock Lesnar can fight for 10 minutes and be fine. I saw that in the Carwin fight. But we're talking about SIXTY minutes, not ten. So posting a 7 minute video of him doing collegiate wrestling really serves no purpose.

But that's not the point I was making. The point I was making is that if we use Lesnar's wrestling career as proof he can go 60 minutes (Iron Man match vs. Angle, right?) then we can use that same proof in those time limit draws Andre worked (against Bockwinkel, for example). So if it's good enough for Lesnar, it's good enough for Andre. Thus, no one can say Lesnar should win because of superior conditioning, if they can both go 60 minutes in pro wrestling.

At which point, we now have to decide who would simply win the match. I point out Andre never lost, so it's foolish to think he would lose 3 matches inside of 60 minutes. Now, obviously Lesnar doesn't have to win 3 matches, just 1...but only if Andre doesn't win. And do you really think the 8th Wonder of the World can't beat Lesnar at least once in 60 minutes? Especially given the incredible experience advantage Andre has over the relatively green Lesnar?

Andre wins this. There's really nothing anyone can say against it.

Uhh...what? You post a 7 minute YouTube video to show Lesnar has superior conditioning to go 60 minutes? I'm afraid I'm not following your logic there..

I know Brock Lesnar can fight for 10 minutes and be fine. I saw that in the Carwin fight. But we're talking about SIXTY minutes, not ten. So posting a 7 minute video of him doing collegiate wrestling really serves no purpose.

Ok so 7 minutes of a College match means nothing? I've wrestled longer than that and in much worse condition than Lesnar. That seven minutes is some of the most brutal stuff you can ever do. Not counting that that is just one match, most tournaments are five seven minute matches on one day. Not counting the 2 day tournaments, that would place lesnar at the seventy minute mark if the matches all went to schedule. Not counting blood time, injury time, or overtime.

The point that the video serves is his condition. He was better conditioned than Wes and basically outworked him the whole match. Obviously it is shorter than the 60 minute mark, but what portion of that time would Andre spend stalling and working for air. A lot of it, you don't get that in College wrestling. Andre is huge man, over 500 pounds. There is no way with Lesnar in shape that he can go blow for blow with him for 60 minutes. He would fall over dead of a heart attack. Lesnar with his match against Angle was balls against the wall for most of the time.

But that's not the point I was making. The point I was making is that if we use Lesnar's wrestling career as proof he can go 60 minutes (Iron Man match vs. Angle, right?) then we can use that same proof in those time limit draws Andre worked (against Bockwinkel, for example). So if it's good enough for Lesnar, it's good enough for Andre. Thus, no one can say Lesnar should win because of superior conditioning, if they can both go 60 minutes in pro wrestling.

I honestly can't attest to what condition Nick Bockwinkel was in when they wrestled. I've never seen the video or was I around to see the match. You win this one.

At which point, we now have to decide who would simply win the match. I point out Andre never lost, so it's foolish to think he would lose 3 matches inside of 60 minutes. Now, obviously Lesnar doesn't have to win 3 matches, just 1...but only if Andre doesn't win. And do you really think the 8th Wonder of the World can't beat Lesnar at least once in 60 minutes? Especially given the incredible experience advantage Andre has over the relatively green Lesnar?

You ask that I think he can beat him, yes I do. But why can't Lesnar do the same, you're totally dropping Lesnar right now. He has beaten huge men in the past, men with 10-15 years more than his ring time. He beat Hogan, The Rock, The Undertaker, Edge, Cena, Angle, Show, all in a what 3-4 year period? Honestly that kind of blows the who Experience angle out of the water. If Lesnar can beat all of these men he can and should beat Andre.

Ok so 7 minutes of a College match means nothing?
Not in this discussion, no. I've already said I know he can work 10 minutes. But we're talking 60 minutes of pro wrestling, so 7 minutes of collegiate wrestling really has nothing to do with this.

The point that the video serves is his condition. He was better conditioned than Wes and basically outworked him the whole match.
Last time I checked, Wes isn't Andre. :shrug:

Obviously it is shorter than the 60 minute mark, but what portion of that time would Andre spend stalling and working for air.
The portions where he's beaten Lesnar down to a pulp?

A lot of it, you don't get that in College wrestling. Andre is huge man, over 500 pounds. There is no way with Lesnar in shape that he can go blow for blow with him for 60 minutes. He would fall over dead of a heart attack. Lesnar with his match against Angle was balls against the wall for most of the time.
What are you talking about? If Andre can go blow for blow with Bockwinkel for 60 minutes, he can do it with Lesnar. We're not talking 1987 vs. Hulk Hogan Andre, we're talking about an Andre in the prime of his career. He was far more mobile and in far better shape. I think you have this Andre pictured in your head:

andrejake3_6427.jpg

When really we're talking about this Andre:

Andre-the-Giant-09.jpg

I honestly can't attest to what condition Nick Bockwinkel was in when they wrestled. I've never seen the video or was I around to see the match. You win this one.
I'm not sure video footage exists publicly for the match, but I think most agree the match happened and Bockwinkel worked several 60 minute matches, so obviously Bockwinkel had the stamina to do so.

You ask that I think he can beat him, yes I do. But why can't Lesnar do the same, you're totally dropping Lesnar right now. He has beaten huge men in the past, men with 10-15 years more than his ring time. He beat Hogan, The Rock, The Undertaker, Edge, Cena, Angle, Show, all in a what 3-4 year period? Honestly that kind of blows the who Experience angle out of the water. If Lesnar can beat all of these men he can and should beat Andre.
Hogan was past his prime, Rock was leaving, Edge and Cena weren't even close to sniffing the main-event yet, and Big Show isn't Andre. Your statement doesn't impress me.

Especially when you consider that even though Lesnar may have beaten those guys, he also lost to some of them as well. Andre didn't lose...ever. Not in America. According to official WWE records, Andre went 10 YEARS without losing. How can Lesnar beat a man who was never beaten until the end of his career? How can Lesnar beat a guy twice in sixty minutes who didn't lose once in 10 years?

I'm sorry, but there's just no way I see Lesnar winning this. Andre is too powerful for even Lesnar, and I don't see anyway Lesnar can actually pin Andre. After all, no one could for 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back