Phoenix Region, Dallas Subregion: Second Round: (1)Shawn Michaels vs.(32)Billy Graham

Who Wins This Match

• Shawn Michaels

• Billy Graham

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a second round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas.

nmc_18ReunionArenaAerial.JPG

#1 Shawn Michaels

Shawn_Michaels.jpg

Vs.

#17 Billy Graham

1.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

The showstopper, the maineventer, the headliner, mr. wrestlemania. I have to give this one to michaels because he is one of the greatest to ever grace the squared circle, he has the ability to beat anyone(bar maybe undertaker at wrestlemania). He is the man who took Taker to the limit not once but twice on the grandest stage of them all. The man that people could honestly see ending that streak on both runs.
I see HBK going very far in this tournament and i will be honest he would also be a personal choice to win this match.

This is definitely Shawn's match here. I'm sure most of our posters probably have never even seen a Superstar Billy Graham match in the Garden back in the 70s, but you can't underestimate him as he had the look, had great charisma, and was a decent worker as well. He was a big part of the WWWF for awhile.

But Shawn...is Shawn. He's arguably the WWE's most heralded wrestler of the last 15+ years, has won countless titles, put on many match of the year candidates (and a few winners) and should wind up having his own freaking wing in the Hall of Fame some day. Shawn takes Graham out with the Sweet Chin Music after a hard fought battle.

I'm going to give this one to Billy Graham, he ended the third longest title reign (1237 days) in WWe history and the final reign of the longest serving WWWF Championship Bruno Sammartino (a combined 4040 days). He holds the longest ever heel title run (and 11th overall) and yet he still is regarded as someone who was held back because he wasn't allowed to turn face, despite being regarded as the precursor to the 'cool heel' that came into prominence. Without Graham, no Hogan - both 'Hulkamania' and 'Hollywood' Hogan characters drew heavily from Billy. This means that there is a strong case for Billy Graham having a massive influence on the two biggest booms in wrestling history - Hulkamania and the Monday Night Wars.

Despite this, (I ain't checked the polls yet,) I think HBK will breeze this and I have no problems with this. He was the constant ray of sunshine in the post MNW era when creative didn't have to up their game because they no longer had competition.

Kayfabe, this match is a coin toss prime on prime. I'm going with the Superstar this time.

Honestly, I am surprised that this one is not unanimous. All due respect to Billy Graham, he is no Shawn Michaels. Simply put, Shawn Michaels is one of the greatest of all time. His track record speaks for itself. I see a little sweet chin music, and it is lights out for the Superstar.

I think Shawn Michaels in his prime is just a little too much for Superstar Billy Graham. Grahams legacy is nothing to be scoffed at and as FitFinlay4Life outlined, quite important to wrestling history and solid proof of his legitimate threat to Shawn Michaels. I think if you are beating maulers like Bruno Sammartino than you've got to at least be one bad mf'er, and that counts for something. I could see Graham overpowering Shawn in all kinds of places in the ring, but Shawn's resilience, speed, and pure athletic ability just adding up to too much to overcome for Graham. Eventually at the 17 minute mark an exhausted and quite beat up Graham walks right into a Superkick(not sweet chin music, there is a difference) after a hard fought battle with the Heart Break Kid who then gets the 1.2.3.

I haven't seen many Billy Graham matches - mostly just his series of matches against Mil Mascaras in MSG in the 70s, but there's no denying that his was the prototype for modern wrestling. He was the first attempt at a long term heel champion for a long time (though certainly not the first ever, as wikipedia says), and was dominant for the best part of a year.

Michaels was never really dominant at any point in his career - he beat Hart at WrestleMania, true, but there was not the sustained period of dominance enjoyed by other wrestlers - he beat a departing Diesel, and Hart at Mania, but then had DQs, No Contests etc galore through till Sid beat him. He won it back, *****ed out of defending it, then shortly after he won it the third time, he was injured. Not his fault.

Look, there's plenty of reasons to vote for Michaels, and he probably will win, and I don't think it would be ridiculous if he did so, but I think the prototype for wrestlers as we know them deserves a bit more recognition than he gets.

"Superstar" Billy Graham's career is nothing to scoff at and it could be argued that he had a better career than HBK. Hell the fact that WWE wrestlers are referred to as "Superstars" is a tribute to Billy Graham.

Billy Graham was a dominant heel champion in the territorial era in which heels did not win a lot and certainly never held a title for as long as Graham did. He has defeated some of the greatest names of his generation from Bruno Sammaritino to Dusty Rhodes to Pedro Morales and Harley Race. He still has the record of the longest reign for a heel champion to his name. It could be said that he was one of the first cool heels as he was pretty popular among the fans despite being a blatant rule breaker. He was also one of the biggest draws of his generation.

He will probably lose out to HBK but that is only because HBK wrestled in an era in which wrestling itself was a lot more popular than it was in Graham's era. HBK has tons of great matches to his name but was not a great draw by any stretch of the imagination.

Graham deserves some support here and so I voted for him. Also, with all due respect to the organizers of the tournament, I don't think that names from such a bygone era should be included in this tournament as they are bound to lose out to the guys who might not have achieved as much as them but are more popular because they have wrestled in a more popular era.

Billy Graham was a pretty good all around pro wrestler. He was pretty decent in the ring, he had loads of charisma and he had a great look about him. Graham's influence on pro wrestling can be seen each time somebody comes out. He was very much a prototype to the modern wrestling star.

Shawn Michaels is arguably the greatest overall profesional wrestler of all time. The man's abilities are just plain to see. He had the goods on the mic, in the ring, he had the charisma, the personality, the athletic ability. Shawn Michaels' feuds and matches have been up against a Who's Who of professional wrestling of the past 20 years.

In the end, HBK takes this one. Graham would use his superior size and strength to his advantage for a while and would give a decent showing for himself. But Shawn Michaels is in a whole other league from Graham. HBK wins with Sweet Chin Music about the 10 minute mark.

This won't be an easy match, but Shawn will come out the victor. Both men are great entertainers but Shawn is the better in ring worker. His experience in beating bigger guys then himself will definitely benefit him in this match. Graham will use his strength when he can, but Shawn's speed and ability to do crazy shit will allow him to wear down Graham. Eventually Shawn will hit the elbow from the top and then the sweet chin music, moving him on to the next round.

I'm going to give this one to Billy Graham, he ended the third longest title reign (1237 days) in WWe history and the final reign of the longest serving WWWF Championship Bruno Sammartino (a combined 4040 days).

I don't think Graham's overall career resume could even stand up to Michael's career resume.

Billy Graham and Shawn Michaels would put on an excellent match; Graham using his strength to overpower The Heart Break Kid, and Michaels using his speed to eventual take the advantage.

I won't argue that Graham will lay a beating down onto HBK, but HBK is always one Sweet Chin Music away from a victory.

Alright, so my vote is personal and goes to Shawn Michaels on that sole note. I'm sure others have discussed how HBK has accomplished so much in his career and should win on those notes, however in Billy's defense I want to say this..

It has been noted that today's mold of Triple H, his build, his style, everything - was molded after Billy Graham. If Graham was yester-year's Triple H, then it could easily be said that HBK doesn't have a good chance to win this match-up.

When Triple H was in his prime, more often than not - he bested Shawn Michaels. So there is no reason to think Graham couldn't easily do the same.

Billy Graham was the prototype for what Vince McMahon loves in a wrestling. Big, strong, powerful and jacked to fuck. He was Hogan before Hogan was Hogan.

However, in the ring he was no Shawn Michaels. Both men were incredibly charismatic but as an actual athlete, Michaels is streets ahead. Truly one of the most entertaining and talented men ever in the WWE, HBK would use his speed and agility to avoid much of Grahams offense but would eventually get caught by the Superstar, who would put a hurtin' on Shawn for a few minutes, Michaels selling the shit out of it.

However, just when you think he can take no more, a kip up from HBK and Sweet Chin Music out of nowhere takes Graham down and Michaels makes the cover, coming out on top as the smaller man as he did so often during his epic career

HBK to advance after a gruelling 16 minute match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back