Paul Newman or Robert Redford?

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
Nice and simple, in theory at least. Pick one of two of America's most charismatic actors as your favourite.

Both are superb in their own right, but whenever they worked together a magnificent chemistry flourished on-screen and it often felt like you weren't watching actors, but rather you were allowed to see 2 friends trying to get themselves out of whatever predicament they found themselves in, the scallywags!

Paul Newman was the first of the double-act that I was introduced to through watching The Hustler with my dad many years ago. A film about a cocky young pool hustler, Newman's 'Fast Eddie Felson' was one of the most mesmerizing characters I'd ever seen as we see him start out brash and brazen before being humbled by Jackie Gleason's Minnesota Fats. From there his denial of why he was defeated and general headstrong attitude means he continues making wrong choices until finally a tragedy wakes him up to discover what character truly is.

With Robert Redford, I first saw him in All the President's Men. While not quite as iconic a role, his persistence, hunger and in some ways, innocence he brought to the screen made for some fine viewing.
Off-screen, he has also won an Oscar for directing, yet one of his biggest contributions to American (as well as International) cinema's legacy is the Sundance festival for independent film-makers to showcase their films and make a name for themselves, such as Kevin Smith, Quentin Tarantino and Darren Arynofsky.

So of the two, whose your man?

For his greater range in acting ability, I'll take Paul Newman. The roles he took were so different from one another that it was sometimes hard to believe the same man was playing all of them. The person he portrayed in "Cool Hand Luke" was so amazingly different from the one he played in "From the Terrace" who in turn was so radically different from The Drowning Pool" and it was as if a different actor was playing Butch Cassidy. I could never get over how he became the character rather than just "play" him. The job he did as Henry Gondorff in "The Sting" was a radical departure from all his other roles. Henry was flawed and competent, alternately confident and uncertain. Amazing job.

On the other hand, as terrific as Redford was, he always seemed to be playing the same part. He was the cool, subtle loner as the Sundance Kid....as he also was in "The Natural"....as he was further in "Brubaker" as he was again in "The Sting." Even as Sonny Steele in "The Electric Horseman" he was the same cowboy he played as Sundance Kid. He was the guy always regarding the situation around him with aplomb and detachment; almost as if he were a casual observer rather than a participant. Yes, the circumstances of each movie may compel you to think he had wide range as an actor, but he played them all the same way.

Love 'em both, but give me Paul.

Newman.

When it comes to quality and quantity, Newman tops Redford's performances and range. As far as the genre goes, he might not be as popular or praised as John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, but Newman delivered a pair of strong performances in The Left Handed Gun, Hombre, and Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid. It's weird, because Newman has one of the most praised and legendary careers in the history of cinema, but he didn't win his first (and only) Oscar until the 80's.

Redford is a fine talent, and he'll be remembered as one the true greats. His career started to take a dive in the 90's, but I enjoy some of his more recent films. A lot of people bashed The Last Castle for being a shameless and sappy patriotic drama, but I thoroughly enjoyed the old school vs new school feud between Redford and James Gandolfini. The Clearing was also fueled by a two person feud. Willem Dafoe was this miserable wimp, who was driven by jealousy and hate, and Redford was the hard working businessman, who achieved the American Dream. But I can't defend Up Close & Personal, The Horse Whisperer didn't do anything for me, and I can't sit through An Unfinished Life. I've tried over and over again, but I just can't.

Redford's career is celebrated, and he shared some memorable on-screen duos with Newman, but Paul always got the best of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back