Paul Gray

Jonnie Walker

Getting Noticed By Management
Slipknot bassist Paul Gray — one of the group's founding members — was found dead in an Iowa hotel room early Monday morning (May 24), according to reports. He was 38.

The Des Moines Register reported that police were called to the TownePlace Suites hotel in Urbandale, Iowa, shortly before 11 a.m. after an employee discovered Gray's body in a room. There was no evidence of foul play, police told the newspaper, but the investigation is ongoing and an autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday. A toxicology test will also be done to determine any contributing factors to his death.

A spokesperson for Slipknot's label, Roadrunner Records, confirmed the report to MTV News.

Gray, better known as #2 or "The Pig" because of the mask he wore while performing with Slipknot, helped form the group in 1995, along with current members Shawn "Clown" Crahan and Joey Jordison. Though the band's lineup shifted over the years — with members departing or switching instruments — Gray's position within the group remained constant: He was the only bass player Slipknot ever had.

The group would release four albums, the last of which — 2008's All Hope Is Gone — debuted at #1 on the Billboard albums chart. They spent most of the next year touring the world before taking an extended break at the end of 2009. Earlier this year, Gray announced that he would be using the time off to play with hard-riffing supergroup Hail!, featuring Tim "Ripper" Owens, Megadeth's David Ellefson and Sepultura's Andreas Kisser.

In 2003, Gray was arrested on drug-possession charges after police discovered small amounts of marijuana, cocaine and two syringes in his vehicle following a traffic accident in Des Moines. Those charges were eventually dropped; Gray admitted he was under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident.
Very sad news. I actually met Paul about two years ago after a concert. He was a real nice guy, and so was his wife, who is pregnant now. This sucks.

This sucks, not only do Slipknots fans lose a member of of one of one of the greatest live bands out today, but his wife lost her husband, and after seeing the hell my mom went through with my dads death, that is something I wouldn't wish on anyone, add to the fact the Pauls unborn child will never get a chance to meet his father, and yeah I as I said it truly truly sucks

Slipknot was easily one of the funnest bands I have ever seen live, and I've wanted to see them again ever since I saw them last year, now it looks like if that happens it won't be with the same line-up

really don't know what else to say

Despite being 30 now, this is one of the first times I can remember a member of one of my favourite bands dying. There have been guys that died in bands I liked, but not that I loved.

RIP #2

What is with all the metal musicians dying all at once? Pete Steele died, Dio died and now Paul Gray? When's Lars Ulrich going to pop it? He's the biggest twat in metal yet he's still going.

Some musicians have died on the operating table due to drugs (Dave Mustaine, Phil Anselmo, most of Motley Crue) or gotten others killed due to their actions.

So why are the good, respectable ones dying?

Now for those of you who are going to say 'Paul Gray? Respectable?' just because he was in Slipknot, he wasn't like Shawn Crahan or Chris Fehn, the percussionists who do nothing but jump around beat each other up, nor did he subscribe to any of Corey Taylor's insane ramblings.

He was just a musician with a specific love for the bass. I'm not going to hype him as something uber amazing, because, let's face it, i've heard better, but it's never good to hear that a member of the Metal fraternity has passed on.

RIP Paul, you were taken from your loved ones far too early, and to a much lesser extent, you were taken from us too early as well.

Not only does Paul's wife lose her husband, and Pauls unborn child never get to meet his/her father, and not only do the fans lose yet another talented musician while assfucks like Lil Wayne are still breathing, but Slipknot themselves will hurt from this tremendously, I'd imagine, seeing as Gray was one of the major contributors to their writing.

RIP Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back