Parts Unknown Region, Second Round: (2) Demolition vs.(31)Miracle Violence Connection

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Demolition

• Miracle Violence Connection

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the Parts Unknown Region. It's a standard tag team match held.....uh......somewhere.

survivorpu.jpg

demolition_main3_bio.png

2. Demolition

Vs.

01.jpg

31. Miracle Violence Connection

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for FOUR days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

This is a tough draw, but miracle violence connection was the better team. Both williams and Gordy were better by themselves and they were better together. If the wwf paid as well as Japan in the late 80s and early 90s then MVC would have been dominating here instead.

Bill eadie was a great worker, but williams and Gordy would be too much for demolition.

I hope people think hard on this one before voting and perhaps go watch some MVC matches. Gordy and Williams should pull off the upset here.

Demolition was a tough team, and over time evolved to be much more than the Road Warrior ripoffs that they appeared to be when the first landed on the scene. Ax and Smash were established veterans who always made their partners better throughout their early careers, and together, they simply excelled.

Williams and Gordy, however, were perfect partners for each other. It didn't matter if it were a brawl, or a mat war, they dominated their opponents. 5 time All Japan tag team champions, WCW and NWA tag team champions. They had some awesome matches with the Steiners, who never seemed to get the better of them.

This is tough -- I think Demolition would've been a solid match for Williams and Gordy, actually. Both guys were tough, wily veterans who wouldn't be cowed by the MVC's onslaught. I think the deciding factor would be the relative youth of Williams and Gordy particularly compared to Ax, who was towards the end of his career when he was part of Demolition.

Winners: The MVC

Wow, this is a tough match. I wouldn't mind seeing this one on PPV. I never would have thought Demolition might go out in round two but this might be the match to do it. I'm hoping that doesn't happen as I'm giving my vote to Demolition. No disrespect to MVC but when I think of dominant tag teams during my childhood Demolition is at the very top of the list. They were the undisputed top team during a time when the WWF had many great tag teams. Between WrestleMania IV and SummerSlam 90 there was only a combined six month period where Demolition was not champions. During that time Demolition regained the titles from both teams that beat them. It's too bad they don't get more recognition from WWE today because they were a big part of that golden era of wrestling.

Wow, tough matchup... and one I would have loved to have seen.

I'm going with Williams/Gordy in this one, although I loved Demolition. They were just such a strong team. Gordy at this point was still one of the best workers anyone had ever seen. Williams was simply one of the toughest guys ever to set foot in a ring. They meshed so well together and were massively successful in both Japan, as well as during their brief time in WCW/NWA.

I think Demolition will win this one. They're just the more well known team, and let's face it... they were pretty damn good too (Ax and Smash... let's forget the Crush part of the team). But Gordy/Williams deserve some love here, and they deserve to have the voting reflect what an amazing match this would actually be.

If this match were the main event of any card, I'd gladly pay top dollar to see this match in person.

Were talking major league legit bad asses here. Demolition were just brutal to their opponents and scared me as a child when they'd come out in their pseudo S&M outfits. Also their theme song was pretty damn awesome and intimidating. Matter of fact, intimidation was a big key to their successes in WWF.

That would not work with Gordy and Dr. Death. They'd laugh at their outfits and beat the ever living piss out of them.

Also here's a montage of the damage they did to some legendary wrestlers in Japan, along with their epic theme song that I want play when I exit the shower before work.

I give this one to Gordy and Williams and don't feel a damn bit bad about it.

Sorry, Shocky... :(

Can't say I know much about MVC other than Williams was a big tag wrestler in Japan and Gordy was also in the Freebirds.

From the posts given I'm leanining towards them, but I'd have to see more of their work to give a definite vote.

Dr. Death was more than a tag team wrestler in Japan.

Both he and Terry Gordy are multiple time AJPW Triple Crown Champions, which for a time was the most prestigious title in the world.

To date, only five non-Japanese wrestlers have won the Triple Crown: Stan Hansen, Terry Gordy, Steve Williams, Vader and then in 2014 Joe Doering.

Williams & Gordy were dominant workers at a time when All Japan was having it's "Golden Age of Heavweights" and they were beating up on Hansen, Misawa, Kobashi, Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta and other legendary performers.

But while both men were committed to the big paydays in Japan where they were megastars with their brutal style, they also frequented the United States.

Together they won the WCW tag team titles, beating the piss out of The Steiner Brothers to do so in a feud that promoted as a dream match by WCW. As singles stars they were also dominant in the US, with Gordy winning the UWF championship for Herb Abrams and going nearly a decade without being pinned or submitted on US soil.

See below for some videos:
Miracle Violence Connection vs Bam Bam Bigelow and Davey Boy Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRPGFj6v4u0
Miracle Violence Connection vs Misawa&Kawada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9V3Pb59UWA

Really saddens me to see Demolition win this one, but that's to be expected considering they were big in the WWF and the WWF is the biggest American promotion. It's a shame more people weren't exposed to men like Dr. Death, Terry Bam Bam Gordy and Stan The Lariat Hansen to see how truly impressive they were.

Those guys could work a match like nobody's business. You believed everything you were seeing. They were beating the hell out of guys and it looked so real, an art lost on most "brawlers" in the business.

For all the marks men like Foley and Funk get for their brawling style, their offense looks fake. It's their selling that gets them over. Well these are guys who could make their offensive believable, something that American wrestlers often struggle with.

Really saddens me to see Demolition win this one, but that's to be expected considering they were big in the WWF and the WWF is the biggest American promotion. It's a shame more people weren't exposed to men like Dr. Death, Terry Bam Bam Gordy and Stan The Lariat Hansen to see how truly impressive they were.

Those guys could work a match like nobody's business. You believed everything you were seeing. They were beating the hell out of guys and it looked so real, an art lost on most "brawlers" in the business.

For all the marks men like Foley and Funk get for their brawling style, their offense looks fake. It's their selling that gets them over. Well these are guys who could make their offensive believable, something that American wrestlers often struggle with.

All of those guys fought really stiff -- they were throwing legit shots at each other a lot of the time. Hell, Hansen popped Vader's eye out of its socket! I think that style just wouldn't skate in America today, at least not outside of an Indy ring.

All of those guys fought really stiff -- they were throwing legit shots at each other a lot of the time. Hell, Hansen popped Vader's eye out of its socket! I think that style just wouldn't skate in America today, at least not outside of an Indy ring.

Hansen worked really stiff because he was basically blind.

The Williams/Gordy style wasn't hurting people.

But in general yes, the Japanese style is presented as more authentic and painful while American wrestling is lighter.

Steve Williams and Terry Gordy though were both big regional stars before they became superstars in Japan. It's hard for young fans to rationalize this, but the WWF wasn't always the top place to work. Williams and Gordy were huge stars in the Mid South territories. Working Japan though got them good money (stars there) PLUS the freedom to make money working other stops like WCW, Herb's UWF, GWF, ECW, etc.

Especially if you were a tag team, working for Vince meant you were never going to be one of the biggest stars of his promotion. He just has never believed in tag teams drawing. In Japan, tag teams regularly main event. Miracle Violence Connection could make good money as tag team superstars AND get pushed as being main event singles stars.

Really you're going to talk about stiff?

[YOUTUBE]feGmgOegjPA[/YOUTUBE]

Really you're going to talk about stiff?

[YOUTUBE]feGmgOegjPA[/YOUTUBE]

And my point is that you wouldn't see that in a WWE ring today. Honestly, ECW pushed WWF more in the direction of hardcore chair shots, but matches with guys like Williams, Vader, Gordy, Hansen and others were far more stiff on a consistent, in-ring basis.

And my point is that you wouldn't see that in a WWE ring today. Honestly, ECW pushed WWF more in the direction of hardcore chair shots, but matches with guys like Williams, Vader, Gordy, Hansen and others were far more stiff on a consistent, in-ring basis.

What does that have to do with who would win this match? As far as it "skating in wrestling today" no offense but it didn't skate in WCW either. Yet Gordy and Hansen were so diverse and had the ability to change there style and had success winning the tag team titles there as well. And Gordy and Hansen hardly did the "headdrops" which is the main difference between WWF and Japan. They hit hard but so does Cesaro. Benoit was known for his flying headbutts, as is Daniel Bryan which are far more dangerous than a stiff clothesline imo. This is about the better team, Gordy and Hansen could work stiff and had the ability to work safe.

Fact is, that saying MVC could work in the WWE is a cop out. The road warriors were extremely stiff in their AWA days (and later in Japan). They adjusted to NWA and WCW, just as MVC did to WCW. MVC could work matches in any time period, just as could demolition. Both were great teams, with the ability to change styles if need be. I just think you're flat out wrong here, no offense to you but I think MVC's success in Japan shows their diversity and ability to do whatever is necessary, and the work in WCW shows they could do it in any time period as well.

What does that have to do with who would win this match? As far as it "skating in wrestling today" no offense but it didn't skate in WCW either. Yet Gordy and Hansen were so diverse and had the ability to change there style and had success winning the tag team titles there as well. And Gordy and Hansen hardly did the "headdrops" which is the main difference between WWF and Japan. They hit hard but so does Cesaro. Benoit was known for his flying headbutts, as is Daniel Bryan which are far more dangerous than a stiff clothesline imo. This is about the better team, Gordy and Hansen could work stiff and had the ability to work safe.

Fact is, that saying MVC could work in the WWE is a cop out. The road warriors were extremely stiff in their AWA days (and later in Japan). They adjusted to NWA and WCW, just as MVC did to WCW. MVC could work matches in any time period, just as could demolition. Both were great teams, with the ability to change styles if need be. I just think you're flat out wrong here, no offense to you but I think MVC's success in Japan shows their diversity and ability to do whatever is necessary, and the work in WCW shows they could do it in any time period as well.

:rolleyes:

Okay, you win. Japan Uber Alles. That seems to be what you want to hear.

Honestly, my original comment was meant for justtxyank about the differences between Funk/Foley and Williams/Gordy. It wasn't meant to bring you stalking after me because of the Misawa/Kobashi thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back