Overused / Underused Gimmick Matches

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Underused

1. The Submission Match. I don't know why we don't see these a bit more often. Maybe it's the fear that one guy submitting will appear "buried" to the fans, but I think that's hardly the case. One of Wrestling's biggest stars - Steve Austin - was MADE in a submission match, even though he didn't submit. Triple H tapped out to John Cena at one Wrestlemania and to Chris Benoit at another, and he's fine.

If you ask me, nothing creates drama more than a match in which the object is not to incapacitate your opponent for 3 seconds, but rather, to make them bend to your will verbally.

Think of how many guys right now use submission finishers. Cena - STF. Swagger tapped last Monday but looked strong in the process. Undertaker - Hell's Gate. CM Punk - Anaconda Vice. Let's develop more submission moves and push this match from time to time!

2. Strap Match. Not sure why, but I always felt the concept of being attached to your opponent - no place to run or hide - was cool. It would be impossible for your opponent to get more than a few feet away from you. It makes a high flyer think twice about going to the top rope. It creates a legal foreign object for both men to use. And the idea of incapacitating your opponent to the point of being able to touch all 4 turnbuckles is very unique and very hard to do.

I'd love to see a guy come in with the leather strap as his gimmick, even going so far as to create a championship belt and decalring himself "The King of the Leather Strap." Similar to how William Regal did the brass knucks and Jim Duggan did the taped fist.

Overused

1. Ladders. All variations. It worked so well for a short time that pro wrestling over saturated the market with them. Look at Wrestlemania - Money in the Bank AND the Hardys match featured ladders. TNA has several ladder variations. Ultimate X is a neat variation on it. But it's getting to be a bit much.

Also, the luster of the ladder is gone, because so many guys are now booked in these matches (MITB went from 6 to 8) to allow wrestlers to break in between high spots. So the match is no longer a struggle as it was when it was HBK vs Razor or Hardy vs Undertaker. It's a series of high spots, each year a tad more innovative. It ceases to be about the match, and it will continue to be that way until someone's neck is broken.

_____ Room Brawls and (insert city name) street fights. Just call them "falls count anywhere" or "anything goes." Even unsanctioned street fight is cool. But a Bar Room Brawl, Boiler Room Brawl, Backalley Brawl, Little Italy Chicago Detroit New York LA Street Fight, etc. It's a little ridiculous.

Stop trying to give a wrestler a perceived "home court advantage" in a match that is very generic. Call it what it is - an anything goes street fight. At least ECW got innovative by inviting fans to bring weapons. STUPID and DANGEROUS, but innovative. A hallmark of ECW booking.

Useless No Matter What

1. Lumberjacks. Spare me. The Lumberjack match used to be used in situations where one guy or team had a tendency to run. Now it's just a BS way of giving face time to guys who aren't trusted to draw money on the card. Guys gets tossed out of the ring, gets hit, tossed back in. Blah blah blah. Please drop these and move on. If you want to keep guys in the ring - Steel Cage.

2. Tuxedo. They've learned from past mistakes. Bra & Panties Matches worked because fans wanted to see hot chicks rip each others clothes off. I can't even speak against that. But when Howard Finkel and Harvey Whippleman, or Gerry Briscoe and Pat Paterson, need to settle their issues, don't subject male fans to old, out of shape white guys tearing clothes off each other. If the only match two men can carry is a Tuxedo Match, they have no business wrestling in the first place.[/I]

Overused, all of them. Look at the Backlash card (inc spoilers) and then look a couple of months ahead and you have One Night Stand then Cyber Sunday a few months after that. Also add in a couple on each PPV inbetween.

There aren't many strap matches because A) They don't really fit any gimmicks on the current roster, B) People prefer cages and C) They're shit.

Who would compete in a submission match on a WWE PPV? You have Cena, but he finishes almost all of his matches by submission anyway, There's no point making a gimmick match that ends the same way as a regula match. People would probably prefer I Quit matches anyway.

One that really sticks out for me is the Ultimate X match. It's a great concept and usually results in an entertaining and innovative match, but TNA has done something like 16 of them in 6 or 7 years. That's too much. That's bordering 3 a year, which means every 5 months or so, you're gonna see an Ultimate X match. It takes away what makes the match so special. I think the real gimmicky matches like TLC, Elimination Chamber, Ultimate X, Hell in a Cell have their place in wrestling and some of my favorite matches are of these variants, but they really should be used sparingly (1 every 10-15 months should be a good general rule of thumb.)

But every 5 months? At that point you see Ultimate X on the card and it's just like the show you saw last month and it's not a big deal, or anything really exciting...theyll just have another one in 5 months anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back