• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Original v. Cover: Dead Souls

Which version is best?

• Joy Division's "Dead Souls"

• Nine Inch Nails' "Dead Souls"

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Yep, that's right, another Joy Division song. What can I say, I'm a huge fan. Few bands created music as atmospheric and raw as they did, music that cuts straight to the very soul of man.

The song in question is Joy Division's "Dead Souls" off of their posthumous album Still. The original...well it's fucking Joy Division. For those who aren't familiar with them, I feel sorry for you. The inventors of post punk, and the biggest influence on the entire current stream of post-punk and indie revival bands populating the American and British rock scenes currently.

Oh and they are NOT a Nazi band, the Nazi imagery you see in this amateur video was put together ironically by the video maker. JD are NOT a Nazi band, AT ALL!

Joy Division - Dead Souls

There you have a classic from the God's of post-punk.

Now onto the cover, by Nine Inch Nails. One of the best cover songs I've ever heard in my entire life. Reznor truly honors that atmosphere that Ian Curtis and Joy Division perfected in their time with a simply epic cover here. Honestly, I love this cover so much I probably listen to it more than the original. It was made by Reznor specifically for the soundtrack to The Crow, so that adds even more greatness to it.

Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls

At the end of the day...honestly I'd have to go with NIN's version, and that's coming from a massive Joy Division fan. I would never put any cover over JD usually, but here, Reznor just did SUCH a good job that I can't help but give him the nod. Possibly my favorite cover song ever.

But what do YOU say?

I am not a massive joy division fan myself, but since my introduction to the band through Control (late 70's and early 80's was never a period I got much introduction too :( ) I will say that I am a fan. NiN are also a band I have a growing appreciation for, despite missing their heyday, though this was helped by an amazing live performance this summer :)

With regard to this song though I have to give it to Joy Division. For some reason the NiN version doesn't seem to ring true with me, it just sounds like a cover. Nay it is a good interesting cover- (I especially like the early drumbeat)- but it doesn't sound like the band owns the song, as happens in the best covers. I don't think Trent's voice is as effective here either- especially when compared to the full vive and swagger of Ian Curtis. The Joy Division version just seems more essential, more in your face, the temerity even of a two minute opening instrumental where NiN only opt for one.

So yeah I go with the original here, though they are both good songs :)

Joy Division. No contest. NIN is overrated and the cover is nothing special. Plus Trent's vocals can't even be compared to Ian's. I have a heard NIN/Peter Murphy version though which is better but even that didn't have the feel of the original.

Ironic I found out about Joy Divison because of this song.

I'm going with Joy Divison because to me the music sounds better and Ian Curtis's vocals sound more personal and emotional than the NIN cover. NIN just sound like their covering it and while they put a lot of effort into it they cannot replicate Curtis' emotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back