Original v. Cover: Cinnamon Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I will admit that I hadn't heard the original until much later in life. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, because it's a downright classic, and it's the kind of song almost anyone can enjoy. Shortly after hearing the original, I attended a Type O Negative concert, and got to experience their cover first hand. I'm really torn on which one I prefer...

The Original:

The Cover:

While Young's is the better musically, Type O's leans more towards my tastes. I think I'd prefer Young's while inebriated, and Type O's while hanging out with friends, and while driving on the highway...It really is a tough choice...

nothing beats the origional man............. sorry to say but Type-O's version was just...... bad......... I felt like banging my head against the wall after just a few seconds listing to their cover.... then again I grew up with a Dead head father who listened to CSNY lol

Yeah Type O's version is rather awful. Pretty much just takes the song and turns it into absolute shit. Anytime you're comparing Type O Negative to Neil fucking Young, odds are you aren't going to come out on the winning end.

Without a doubt Neil Young's version blows Type O's away, not even close.

Damnit NSL, all you do is just post terrible covers of great songs by mediocre nu metal bands. :disappointed:

:p

Fuck Neil Young. Type O Negative is an absolutely amazing band and nowhere near "Nu-Metal". Anyone who categorises them as that couldn't have heard 90% of their stuff. The Cinnamon Girl cover is actually one of their lamest tracks (still better than the original though). Type O always gets shit from the Goth crowd for being "too Metal" and shit from the Metal crowd for being "too Goth" but they have some incredible material. They can go from angry and militant to melodic Gothic excess within seconds flawlessly. Ok sorry for the rant but TON is my favorite band and can't stand Nu-Metal.

But again, the cover here is a horrible representation of the band. If anyone wants to check them out, listen to stuff like:

[youtube]WhmGxA34_xg[/youtube]
[youtube]KTNzVC1jDek[/youtube]
[youtube]QMHQQvBs6o4[/youtube]

I never realized that Type O did a cover of this song. I think it's rad when a metal band covers songs like this and Type O did an ok job. However, I fucking LOVE Neil Young and no one is ever going to be able to out do Neil on one of his songs. Ever. Neil Young has one of the most destinct voices in the history of music. Not to mention he is unbelieveably musically talented. People just shouldn't even attempt to cover a Neil Young song.

I'm discovering that X calls pretty much anything he doesn't like "nu metal" as a pejorative. It's pretty obvious Type O isn't nu metal.

Anyway, getting to the point, I like Type O's version of the song. Like NSL said, it's more along the lines of my particular taste, so I'd give the win to the cover in this case. Nothing against Neil Young, I recognize that he has talent, I'm just not a fan.

Damnit NSL, all you do is just post terrible covers of great songs by mediocre nu metal bands. :disappointed:

:p

It's amazing you love synth pop, but not "nu metal". Too bad Type O isn't nu metal also. They're goth metal. Easiest way to classify them.

And please, at least acknowledge that I like Young. Young is one of my all-time favorites. I like his version of the song. I also like Type O's. They're basically 2 different songs. It's OK to like both, as long as you note which one is better.

And, please X, listen to everyone else. Type O isn't shit, and they aren't nu metal.

It's amazing you love synth pop, but not "nu metal". Too bad Type O isn't nu metal also. They're goth metal. Easiest way to classify them.

The only goth music worth listening to is that from the 80s. Bauhaus and such. Anything else is usually trash.

I only used the word "nu-metal" by the way to refer to the overall amount of these threads you've started, all of which feature some type of mediocre metal band slaughtering a classic song.

And please, at least acknowledge that I like Young. Young is one of my all-time favorites. I like his version of the song. I also like Type O's. They're basically 2 different songs. It's OK to like both, as long as you note which one is better.

And, please X, listen to everyone else. Type O isn't shit, and they aren't nu metal.

Well I listened to those songs Goo Punch just posted just to give them another try, and I still can't stand them. Pretty mediocre at best. Goth music pretty much died in the 90s in my opinion.

And no Dexter, I don't call any band I don't like "nu-metal", only bands that are metal, and relatively new. Thus "nu-metal". Obviously Type O doesn't incorporate hip hop into their music, I generally use the word nu-metal to describe the last decade of mediocre at best metal music.

Fuck Neil Young.

LOL, there goes your credibility. It packed up, got in its car, and drove far, far away.

Anyways... Lol, sorry.

Nothing against the cover, but boy does it not give me the feel the original has. This might be due to my love for Neil Young. But I honestly feel that Neil Young's version is not in the same park, and this is considering that Neil Young's original is probably only my 10th favourite song of his.

LOL, there goes your credibility. It packed up, got in its car, and drove far, far away.

Credibility for what? Judging which version of a song I like better? How so? I heard both versions. I made my decision. I didn't say the man isn't talented, I just think his music sucks. I also think Michael Jackson's music sucks. I think Tony Bennett's music sucks. I think Barbara Streisand's music sucks. I think Garth Brooks' music sucks. Are all these people talented? Of course but they don't make music I enjoy to listen to so "fuck them". I don't see how that diminishes my "credibility" in any way.

The only goth music worth listening to is that from the 80s. Bauhaus and such. Anything else is usually trash.

80's certainly was the heyday of Goth but there's been tons of great stuff to come out after the decade. Bands like Alien Sex Fiend, Christian Death, Fields of the Nephilim, Nosferatu, Peter Murphy/Bauhaus, Sex Gang Children/Andi Sexgang have all put out plenty of quality material post-80's. It's generally a heavier sound but nowhere near basic Heavy Metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back