• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

One More Round?

Dressler

Occasional Pre-Show
First there was Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard. Now, theres BJ Penn vs John Fitch. Thats two out of the last three Main Events the UFC has had that have went to a draw decision. This tends to anger fans, media, the UFC and the fighters involved. Draws are not something that should happen in a combat sport, in my opinion there should always be a winner at the end of the day, and with the last two UFC Main Events going to a draw, should there be changes on how to avoid this?

You can blame the judges all you want, I mean, I think everyone that watched the Penn v Fitch fight scored it for Fitch, and the Edgar v Maynard could of gone either way, but two draws? Yes the reffs might of made a gaf by doing that but thats something that will happen no matter what or how well trained they are.

The solution in my opinion, would be a 4th and 6th round. If any fight, not just Main Events, go to a draw, then I say one more round. At least this way we get a disissive winner, and everyone except the loser and his fans, goes home happy.

What do you think of a 4th and 6th round added to matches that are deemed draws?

Honestly I don't like it due to the fact that the fighters train for as many rounds as they're about to fight. Training with 2 amateur muai thai champions, and one professional mixed martial artist, when they spare and roll they go for either three five minute rounds(for a normal fight), and five five minute rounds(for a title fight), they normally never go longer.
Also, what would happen if they drew that round.
But, if it was a TUF fight, or TUF Final than i would agree for another round.

Things are fine the way they are. Draws are not really a common occurrence in MMA, let alone in two main event fights... it's pretty much like when you see a tie in the NFL. Very rarely does it happen.

Not to mention, it's not like highway robbery was committed in the two draws that have taken place. Edgar vs. Maynard really could have gone either way. Same with Fitch vs. Penn. That second round is going to be scrutinized in the coming weeks that we talk about that fight.

Furthermore, interesting storylines have come out of these fights. Edgar vs. Maynard should be a very fun rematch like the fight last month was, and we could discuss all day long who will win that fight. Penn vs. Fitch will probably have a rematch and it could be for the title the next time around. The rematch could be very interesting.

The only time I would ever have a problem with a draw is if there is a clear winner who gets robbed. By adding another round, you're opening a can of worms. Is it sudden death at that point? What if a point deduction takes place for some reason and we get a 9-9 round? A fighter might be too injured/fatigued to have to go back out for another round.

The system is fine the way it is. Again, draws are so rare that these two situations in which the draw is justifiable does not mean that we have to go ahead and rewrite the rule book.

Plus, if a Vladimir Matyushenko fight went to a draw, I'm sure everyone would be groaning in horror if it went to a fourth round.

I agree with Guy. It's fine the way it is.

One thing that most people are forgetting is that RARELY are there draws like Maynard-Edgar and Fitch-Penn. The majority of the time that there's a draw, it's because a fighter had a point deducted from him. So by giving them another round, you're rewarding the fighter who was "cheating."

I think draws like that are a subtle "fuck you." It's basically the MMA World's way of saying "Hey dumbass, if you had fought by the rules, you would have won."

The only reason people are making so much about Draws these days is because we have now had two high profile fights, one of which being a title fight, go to a draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back