One backstage aspect that I miss

BringThePain834

Getting Noticed By Management
Wrestler's Court. Honestly it really should still be a thing. Basically what it was was if you went against or were accused of going against any etiquette rule of the locker room, any company traditions and general rules of the company, you would be put on trial, and the judge was usually The Undertaker, and sometimes Triple H would step in, prosecution was JBL, and the Dudleys were sometimes defense secretaries, and if necessary today, Bubba could be judge and D-Von could be prosecution. These backstage stories were really fun to read and hear about the punishments various people got and it needs to be a thing again as I'm sure there are people who still sometimes go against policy.

Greatest locker room gathering ever.

To each their own, but what do you gain from that? It just seems like a handful of anecdotes, which in turn just becomes celeb gossip. You may as well wish Randy continued introducing his bowels to various personal storage.

To be honest, the examples I'd heard made me dislike the idea. Foley and Snow are punished for standing up to 'alleged bully' Hardcore Holly? Eh. Or Hardy's girlfriend for just being shy?

That sounds messed up.

To each their own, but what do you gain from that? It just seems like a handful of anecdotes, which in turn just becomes celeb gossip. You may as well wish Randy continued introducing his bowels to various personal storage.

While at first it may suck, the wrestlers gain from it in the end because it has proven to be a good way to teach newer wrestlers who make mistakes in a serious but fun way, to solve any backstage feuds, etc.

Bubba Ray was an alleged backstage bully back then, which I thought was funny that he went by the name Bully Ray in TNA, and so was JBL.

And those people were made up of some fake council. Doesn't that seem a little weird to you that the people who were part of wrestler's court were people that should have been on trial?

And I'm sure the Undertaker, even as respected as he was, never intimidated anyone during that time.

Yeah, let's bring that back.

Eh, I think this is an old school tradition that would probably cause a LOT more problems than it would solve in this day & age.

Now let's be honest, WWE is just like any other aspect of life in that it's not some collection of sweet, fluffy, adorable characters who live in harmony in some sort of Disney fantasy land. Some wrestlers don't like each other personally, some get into scuffles backstage, some use their greater influence with the powers that be to further themselves at the expense of someone else, etc. However, when I think of a "Wrestler's Court", I ultimately see a made up council without any sort of binding, legal authority trying to dictate how the boys & girls of the locker room conduct themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that rules of common decency shouldn't be upheld at all. Try to get along with everyone as best as you can, be as courteous as you can and if some sort of issue arises, try to settle it like civilized people. However, a "Wrestler's Court" in this day and age would almost certainly be labeled as bullying by some people. It'd most likely have the best of intentions but it's all but written in the stars that someone will wind up saying something that's taken the wrong way, someone will say something they probably shouldn't say in the heat of the moment and it'll just start piling on from there. As has been mentioned, what went on in this "court" would make its way onto social media because we're now a society that, metaphorically speaking when it comes to social media, can't keep our friggin' mouths shut; we have to tell EVERYTHING that we do on social media whether it's letting everyone know we're going to a job interview or having lunch at Dave & Buster's. Even if there was some sort of pledge or promise made by all who attend this "Wrestler's Court" not to say anything via social media, it'd be as legally binding as the pledge that Donald Trump signed recently that he won't run as a 3rd party candidate. As a result, there'll either be at least one or two who decide to break the pledge or they give the juicy details of what went on, what was said, what it was all about, etc. to someone else who works for the company, then they'll post it on social media or get in touch with Dave Meltzer or some other wrestling journalist and it'll wind up all over the internet and social media anyway. If & when that'd happen then, of course, someone would take issue with it, just like everyone does with everything that goes on these days. It'll range from some people who find it kinda interesting, maybe an aspect of wrestling they didn't know about, some will think it's kinda funny without taking it too seriously, some will be anything from slightly pissed to fully outraged that they're trying to dictate certain things, etc.

When it's all said & done, it'll ultimately wind up being labeled as bullying in some overly obsessive, politically correct way and, depending upon what the situation is & the circumstances in which these "Wrestler's Court" sessions are conveyed, it'll be an accusation that'll probably have some weight to it. The result will be more accusations of WWE being hypocritical in terms of it's anti-bullying campaigns like we saw with Bill DeMott, WWE management will deny knowing that it was going on, which will lead to other criticisms on how WWE brass is either lying or needs to do a better job in keeping house, and may ultimately result in some people being offered up as sacrificial lambs who'll lose their jobs to placate the masses.

Wrestler's Court was hands down one of the most childish things I've ever heard about. A bunch of grown men sitting around making cases about whether or not you showed them the appropriate level of respect as the Undertaker wears a judge's wig and bangs his toy hammer, give me a break.

Only story I liked from it was JBL coming up to Brock and telling him he was due in front of wrestler's court only for Brock to tell him to go fuck himself. JBL then sniveled that Undertaker wanted him and Brock told him to tell Taker that if he wanted him to come make him go to it.

In today's WWE it would have no place anyway. Vince could have been sued for allowing an unsafe work environment and harassment take place if Melina or any of them had half a mind to bother.

Wrestler's Court was hands down one of the most childish things I've ever heard about. A bunch of grown men sitting around making cases about whether or not you showed them the appropriate level of respect as the Undertaker wears a judge's wig and bangs his toy hammer, give me a break.

Only story I liked from it was JBL coming up to Brock and telling him he was due in front of wrestler's court only for Brock to tell him to go fuck himself. JBL then sniveled that Undertaker wanted him and Brock told him to tell Taker that if he wanted him to come make him go to it.

In today's WWE it would have no place anyway. Vince could have been sued for allowing an unsafe work environment and harassment take place if Melina or any of them had half a mind to bother.

Exactly. It was flat-out bullying. Someone like JBL with no talent is going to pick on a new guy who might take his spot. Watch this - it shows just how dumb wrestler's court is (she also shoots on JBL and mentions Lesnar which is hilarious and confirms JBL is only toiugh with guys smaller than him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jfAy_8Ea9g

WWE is a PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANY!

They can't be seen to have anything along those lines, first time someone got a decision they didn't like... straight to HR and then court. saying they were "forced" to accept the Wrestler's Court on pain of consequences to their career... judge looks at it, awards them 50m and then the shareholders sue...

How it didn't happen is beyond me, but somehow they dodged that bullet... I mean Miz barred from a locker room for eating some fucking chicken, that's embarrasing for the guys who got pissy rather than him...

Taker was probably glad to get it off his shoulders, it's great to have a guy "so respected" that he runs the show, but only while he can hang... once he started slowing up he was ripe for being screwed over by them... JBL made his little run at being top man and got caught out over the Meanie incident and his own fuck up with the Nazi goosestepping and not actually being as tough as he though. Hell if they wanted to do it today you'd probably in all honesty have to get Jericho back full time to run it, as he's pretty much the only guy with no legit beefs and respected enough to actually be taken seriously... Cena and Orton gonna run it? Nah... At the outside, you could let Otunga or Woods do it, as they are at least smart enough guys - but neither has the "respect" and Regal doesn't want any part of it all... he's happy being groomed to be the new Trips once Vince is gone...

Or you just let Trips deal with issues as they arise, which seems to happen and work for the best... if someone is mad, they go to him, shout at him if need be, he shouts back and it gets resolved without an agenda... The Bryan incident was the right way to deal with these type things.

It all comes down to this - WWE cannot pick and choose which wrestling traditions it upholds and those it doesn't, if it's a TV show, a corporate entity, then old school traditions must go - if they are a wrestling company, then there is more leeway... but which one does Vince want to be?

Wrestler's Court. Honestly it really should still be a thing. Basically what it was was if you went against or were accused of going against any etiquette rule of the locker room, any company traditions and general rules of the company, you would be put on trial, and the judge was usually The Undertaker, and sometimes Triple H would step in, prosecution was JBL, and the Dudleys were sometimes defense secretaries, and if necessary today, Bubba could be judge and D-Von could be prosecution. These backstage stories were really fun to read and hear about the punishments various people got and it needs to be a thing again as I'm sure there are people who still sometimes go against policy.

Greatest locker room gathering ever.

It's unprofessional crap that the business doesn't need these days. WWE is a corporate company in a completely different world. Everyone is there to do a job and if they step out of line the company needs to deal with it, like in any job.

The whole locker room etiquette thing sounded like bullying and bullshit to me, JBL only ever picked on people he perceived as weak from the sounds of things too, everything I've heard about the guy makes me not like him, personally if someone like that started with me, I'd smash them to pieces.

It really has no bearing on the fans or the show, that's us, I enjoy hearing stories about the business but I absolutely hate gang mentality and bullying

Huh, Wrestlers Court had nothing to do with the fans or WWE programming at all. It was something the talents did on their own time.

Huh, Wrestlers Court had nothing to do with the fans or WWE programming at all. It was something the talents did on their own time.
I was going to say, how can someone possibly "miss" something that they were never a part of? How on earth do you 'miss' someone telling you a one-off anecdote?

The whole locker room etiquette thing sounded like bullying and bullshit to me

[YOUTUBE]QsgQSKEr4-U[/YOUTUBE]

I think that the reasoning behind it is everyone makes money together, and everyone relies on everyone else to make money. I don't agree with every single rule, but with a lot of it, I do, basically everything Justin talks about here, I can understand why it's in place. With wrestling, these are people who you will be working with 24/7 on the road, so yes, of course it's a good idea to introduce yourself and show some manners. You want to make a first impression. And that applies in any job one can get.

[YOUTUBE]QsgQSKEr4-U[/YOUTUBE]

I think that the reasoning behind it is everyone makes money together, and everyone relies on everyone else to make money. I don't agree with every single rule, but with a lot of it, I do, basically everything Justin talks about here, I can understand why it's in place. With wrestling, these are people who you will be working with 24/7 on the road, so yes, of course it's a good idea to introduce yourself and show some manners. You want to make a first impression. And that applies in any job one can get.

I think general manners and of course politeness applies in any workplace but I'm talking about the other bullshit, the "you can't get dressed next to person A because you are new" or the bullying or shunning of those who don't immediately know what's what. Jericho and other top guys have said the handshake thing is a load of crap. The other thing is they only go after the weaker guys, Lesnar stated in his book he never gave a fuck about the backstage etiquette or garbage because obviously no one there was going to pick a fight with him. In the old days maybe it was the done thing but in 2015 WWE is a publicly traded company and the wrestlers should have to behave like employees and be respectful of each other and be reprimanded for bullying behavior etc

A lot of what Credible said in the video makes sense, but also comes from a "I get no respect" place... mentioning the former ECW World Champ thing kinda sealed that.

The respect goes both ways and applies to EVERYONE in the company, not just the wrestlers. The best tale I remember was Wade Barrett introducing himself by his real name, Stu and Shawn or Jericho telling him that there was a backstage worker/janitor/kit washer type guy called Stu and that he had to go by Wade, cos that guy had been there 20 years... Wade had no problem with it.

That's the kind of time the veterans should be "saying" things, not "don't change next to me" or "you ate chicken within 3 feet of me, wrestler's court for you!" or "Ask my permission to use an armbar cos I have 8 in my match". It's no different than walking into a new job and going to the canteen, if there's a mug that looks personal you ask if it's someones before you use it, it wouldn't be a disciplinary if you don't, but it just looks good on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back