• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oklahoma "bans" pro-wrestling

Kermit

the Frog
Link

The Oklahoma State Athletic Commission has sent out letters to promoters that they will not accept applications for pro wrestling, MMA and boxing events to be held in the state past March 31, which more or less bans the events from legally taking place in the state.

The letter said the Commission is being "threatened" by an "Out of State threat that could greatly affect the Commission's ability to provide for public safety and for the health and safety of the athletes" competing in the State.

Oklahoma currently taxes PPV buys made by residents 4%, no matter where the events are held. UFC says they plan to sue the Commission to stop the tax. The Commission claims that without the tax, they can't maintain the overhead needed as an authority. The tax accounts for 2/3rds of their budget.

Until the threat of the lawsuit is resolved, all licenses have been revoked, including for events already scheduled. WWE has a live RAW broadcast set for October 1 in Oklahoma City. Tickets are scheduled to go on sale this summer.

Are you kidding me? As a native Okie, I am pissed.

1tpwy8.jpg

"Sorry, we don't want you to come hold lucrative sporting and entertainment events in our state, we'd rather somebody else get all the money."

Makes perfect sense to me.

I mean, do you think that the WWE or the UFC gives a shit? The WWE is global and, while in a downish period financially, can be banned from Oklahoma without noticing more than a few centers come out of their bottom line. The UFC is pretty much in the same position, except their position is ten times more powerful. All this really kills is some local promotions, so basically the sum effect of this ruling is to kill local small business. What a great fucking idea, you jackassess.

So, from what I read, they want to ban the UFC/WWE and stuff, yet still get some cut of pay when their people buy the PPV's to the things they banned? Sounds like a immature child who can't get his way, if you ask me..

Commission needs money. UFC doesn't want to give it money. Commission takes ball and goes home. Rather straightforward.

Word is that WWE is now cleared to continue hosting events in Oklahoma. Not sure on other combat sports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back