• Chris Adams

• Dave Taylor

• Paul Burchill

• Doug Williams

• Brutus Magnus

• Rob Terry

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
This is the HQ for discussion on Team UK.

This is a non-spam thread! If you wish to discuss Team UK, who should be on the team, etc. please make sure you back up your point. Lists and one-sentence answers that do not contribute to the conversation will be warned.

Sigs will be available once the members of Team UK are announced in mid-November.

The co-captains have to be, without a doubt, The British Bulldogs Davey Boy Smith and Dynamite Kid, Tom Billington. These two are riding along nicely in the tag tourney and can lead the Brits in this tournament. They will bring the power to the team.

I would also add Fit Finlay and William Regal. Seeing as we are obviously going to be at a disadvantage to the Yanks and Canadians, and probably the Japanese and Mexicans too, we should load the team with rough bastards who will take no prisoners. Do it the good old British way; hurting as many people as possible along the way.

So it's my pick for who I think should be in team GB

Team Captain: Mick McManus

wrestlers_mcmanus.jpg

"The man you love to hate" is a legend in British wrestling, at a height of 5'6 and 12 Stone he could still pack a punch. He bent the rules as much as he could and was rarely beaten in a career spanning over 20 years.

Assistant Captain: Big Daddy

Professional_Wrestler_Big_Daddy.png

He teamed with Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, William Regal, Satoru Sayama and Chris Adams. That and the fact he's fricking huge!

Chris Adams

chrisadams.jpg

Odd choice here but whilst researching here I found that Adams was part of team GB for judo in 1976. As well as Judo and wrestling he also did football, rugby, cricket and amateur wrestling. Worth having him on the team methinks.

Rowdy Roddy Piper

AAHF157_8x10-No351.jpg

One of the big heels that tried to take on Hulkamania, he may ot be technically British but meh this is kayfabe man!

Davey Boy Smith

DaveyBoySmithRIP.jpg

You need Bulldog in this, so that's why I put him in!​

Subs

Dynamite kid, Regal, Finlay and of course Giant Haystacks.

I've always been a fan of the work of Nigel McGuinness. By that I mean that he's essentially the only other person I can think of. I'm going to be honest - I'm not generally a fan of British wrestlers. They're alright; some are even very good. In general, they're just not really of the calibre of other nationalities though. Maybe the best of the best can prove otherwise. We'll see.

But yeah, Desmond Wolf.

I think McGuinness is the only realistic addition. However could a case be made for Brutus Magnus or Rob Terry in some events? Terry is a shit wrestler BUT he is an incredibily impressive physical specimen.

I don't see how Giant Haystacks etc would stand up to the Yanks etc.

I'm so disappointed that no one here mentioned this guy yet...

William Regal
regal.jpeg

William Regal is a born-leader. Not only is he an exceptional ring technician, great microphone worker and advocate of the UK, but he was the former General Manager of the WWE's flagship television show, Raw. No doubt that this guy should be captain of the UK team.

The only second to him would be this guy...

Davey Boy Smith
britishbulldoog60706.jpg

An obvious choice to be a part of Team UK. He is a tag team legend, a former Intercontinental champion (winning it my defeating one of the greatest of all time), and arguably the most popular superstar to ever come out of England. But, if he's on the team, you have to include this guy, too...

The Dynamite Kid
23-710515.jpg

Dynamite Kid was the quick, technical, agile half of the British Bulldogs, one of the greatest tag teams in professional wrestling history. A former tag team champion, the Dynamite Kid has been an inspiration to future main eventers the likes of Chris Benoit. He's be a very important element for the team.

The Bulldogs and Roddy Piper were the first ones to come to mind. With those 3, they have the speed, power, and technical games all covered. Davey Boy is a true brawler, and it would be tough for almost any other country to find someone to go toe-to-toe with him. Dynamite Kid is a tremendous flier, and among the best every technically. Piper may have been annoying on the mic at times, but he could really go in the ring.

To add to them, I'd name Regal and Finlay. they're just flat out brawlers, and would fight anyone at any time. Who wouldn't want them to represent the UK?

I'm surprise no one has mention Johnny saint the guy is one of the best technical wrestlers of all time. Also he beat Naohiro Hoshikawa in his retirement match and just made him American debut in the Chikara king of trios tournament. While he has not won any well known titles in his career but he is wrestling legend in the uk.

Reactions: gd
Regal, Billington and Bulldog should be automatic choices. Combining those 3 you've got phenomenal technique, power and speed.
Picking the other 2 will be a bit more difficult. I'd probably go with McGuinness and Piper. Piper is such a cheating bastard that he'll come in handy and McGuinness is a better choice than anyone else that's been mentioned.

This certainly is shaping up to be a very tough team here. I think that Piper should be automatic, he was a main eventer and one of the top wrestlers in the WWE during his time. I also think that the British Bulldogs have to be included without a doubt.

As for the last two spots, I'm going with Johnny Saint and Nigel/Desmond. I've only seen a few matches from Saint, and they were phenomenal. Some have called him the greatest wrestler of all time, he definetly deserves a mention. I'd like to see Nigel make it as well, he seems like a tough and possibly even entertaining sumabitch.

That looks like a very good team, I definetly wouldn't be opposed to Regal be on it instead of one of the previous mentions.

What the hell is it with people wanting McGuiness. He's not fit to lace up McManus' boots, McManus was a true British legend, as were Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks but because they didn't do anything in America no one knows who they are. McGuiness is a big no from me for that reason, and Regal's borderline.

What the hell is it with people wanting McGuiness. He's not fit to lace up McManus' boots, McManus was a true British legend, as were Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks but because they didn't do anything in America no one knows who they are. McGuiness is a big no from me for that reason, and Regal's borderline.

Probably since he's current and recently made a big splash. Short term memory ftw. I don't doubt that McManus was good, but there's only room for one "guy that nobody knows" on this team, and I'd give that to Saint. If not him, I'd say Big Daddy, he looks fucking awesome.

Giant haystacks and big daddy for co-captians. Pretty much the hogans of the UK. Everyone has heard of them in the UK as at one point the highest paid sports star in the UK was a wrestler. Hard to believe isnt it.

Big Daddy was more of a leader than Haystacks could ever dream of, like I pointed out he helped Regal, Billingham and Smith in their very early days. It all depends what the activites are in these Olympics, you don't want three power houses in if it's things like 100 metres sprint!

Fuck yeah, if we are gonna have English wrestlers then we might as well have English legends, not just guys who were average at best in the States. Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks should be automatics, cant beat a big pair of fat bastards like that on your team, even The Rock was in awe when Jonathon Ross showed him clips.

Good point, well what about Big daddy(c) McManus, Haystacks, Regal, Smith. Although that what leave us witha speed disadvantage.

Which is why I said Adams. He played Rugby, Cricket, Football, wrestled and was on the olympic judo team. I believe my five has the best mix of people across the brawlers to the technicians to the cruiser weights to the super heavyweight. That's better than having four guys who are pretty much the same.

I would have to say British Bulldog - kind of obvious. Add in the Dynamite Kid - also obvious. As for the others I would throw in William Regal, just because of who he is, along with The British Invasion for some current mix into it.

the ones who stand out for me are the bulldogs davey boy and dynamite kid, roddy piper, fit finlay, and william regal. but you also got nigel mcguiness and brutus magnus, among others.

here's my five choices:

1. davey boy smith
2. roddy piper
3. fit finlay
4. nigel mcguiness
5. william regal

British wrestlers are generally quite shit. All of the old schoolers are mostly fucking attrocious massive man units, but Big Daddy should probably be in the team, if nothing else because Britain need one unit. Lee is definitely right about McManus though, I think he lost about 2 matches over 20 years, which has surely got to count for something. The Bulldogs also deserve to go through because they are both accomplished all rounders, and Dynamite Kid is a speed demon. I'm a bit of a purist, so I probably wouldn't bother with Piper, so I'd go with Regal.

So, the final British team should be:

1. Mick McManus
2. Big Daddy
3. Dynamite Kid
4. Davey Boy Smith
5. William Regal

Britain will win this...

This could be a weak team, I'd have to include Dynamite Kid for speed otherwise were going to have a ridiculously slow team. The British Bulldogs have more than earned a place on this team but the captaincy goes to Big Daddy, even my mum has heard of him.

I'd also go for William Regal, but thats really a personal preference, I wouldn't be to bothered if Finlay, McManus or Piper made it, as much as I like McGuinness, I couldn't put him ahead of any of the afroementioned wrestlers. My picks;

Big Daddy (Captain)
Davey Boy Smith
The Dynamite Kid
William Real
Finlay

I wouldn't pick Piper for the team as i could see him turning on us during the match due to the fact he isn't British at all, Regal is a must, hell he was fighting full grown guys from the age of 15 in Liverpool if i remember? I'm a full grown man now and not a small guy and i wouldn't fight scousers now! Finlay is also a tough guy, he's been busting people up for ages, plus i'm sure if you gave him a few guinness he'd be unstoppable! Plus whilst the americans were 'showboating' Finlay and Regal would beat the crap outta them, it aint like any of us would be adverse to a few cheap shots whilst they were waving and blowing kisses and all that crap right?. British Bulldog would be a good addition i agree with everyone there, but might do us well to have DH Smith there too, i mean think about it, if you saw someone knock your dad on his arse? You'd explode right? Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks like someone has said are just two massive guys who if nothing else will give us a size advantage over most of the japanese and mexican teams.

As I re look at this team and the talents that can be apart of is like wow! This team would be tough to beat but some of them won’t that great only in certain area though. It would be interesting on how they do but I can only see this team maybe go as far as the number fifth place.

The talents you can come up with is

Axl Rotten
Dave Taylor
Davey Boy Smith
Dean Allmark
Doug Williams
Dynamite Kid
Fit Finlay
Frankie Sloan
James Mason
Jody Fleisch
Jonny Storm
Mark Sloan
Nigel McGuinness
Paul Burchill
Robbie Dynamite
Roddy Piper
William Regal

It’s not much talents but they are pretty dangerously individuals if need to be especially having a lot of veterans on the team. It is so easy to come up with at least five or six names that automatically come to mind.

I would have to point Regal as the leader with British Bulldogs co-captain if something happens to Regal.

Dave Taylor
Davey Boy Smith
Dynamite Kid
Fit Finlay
Roddy Piper
William Regal

Those are the talents I would bring with me. I would keep which matches they will be in quiet so no one will know who they may be facing.

Now you can always go with younger talents if need to, give British a shot against Japan or Mexico.

Dean Allmark
Doug Williams
Frankie Sloan
James Mason
Jody Fleisch
Jonny Storm
Mark Sloan
Nigel McGuinness
Paul Burchill
Robbie Dynamite

I would have to give the captain spot to Doug over Nigel. These young talents would be nice to see.

I believe for a country that can come up with more then six people there should be some kind of tournament to decide who is going to be on the team. Give everyone a shot!

As I re look at this team and the talents that can be apart of is like wow! This team would be tough to beat but some of them won’t that great only in certain area though. It would be interesting on how they do but I can only see this team maybe go as far as the number fifth place.

The talents you can come up with is

Axl Rotten
Dave Taylor
Davey Boy Smith
Dean Allmark
Doug Williams
Dynamite Kid
Fit Finlay
Frankie Sloan
James Mason
Jody Fleisch
Jonny Storm
Mark Sloan
Nigel McGuinness
Paul Burchill
Robbie Dynamite
Roddy Piper
William Regal

How did you miss off our biggest hitter, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks? Come on, these guys would put us easily higher than the fifth place you so 'generously' decided we deserved.

True I guess I've heard of Haystacks and maybe Big Daddy at one point or another. They are big guys its just I don't feel would be good in the matches besides the 5 vs 5 match. You never know though! I guess I need some footage or something to know more about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back