• Hiroshi Hase

• Tatsumi Fujinami

• Yokozuna

• Toshiaki Kawada

• Hayabusa

• Tiger Mask

• Jushin Liger

Results are only viewable after voting.
surprisingly, no mention of taka michinoku. just like canada, mexico, and the u.s., quite a few names to choose from.

I absolutely love Taka Michinoku and think he's one of the more underrated wrestlers of the last few decades. It's a shame that he got stuck in that abysmal original WWF light heavyweight division that had no effort put into it, because Taka was an absolutely phenomenal worker.

But, considering the sheer amount of insanely talented wrestlers to come from Japan, I wouldn't include Taka in my Top 5 for representatives from Japan. I love Taka, but he's not top five.

What does everyone think about The Great Muta? I see some people putting some support behind him. He wouldn't be a bad addition by any means, but I'm not sure who he would replace on my hypothetical list. Probably Kawada. But god damnit I don't care how much of a dick Kawada is, the man has put on more classic matches than most of the wrestlers that will be in this entire Olympics game.

I'm not sure how this will hold over, but I want to make a suggestion here anyway.

It's obvious that X, Tdigs, and myself will be pushing Team Japan like no other. If there's someone else who wants to jump on the bandwagon, then please feel free. The more support, the better, obviously

But what I'm thinking is to put this team together is that X, you pick one person to be on the team, Tdigs picks one person to be on the team, and then I pick a person. That leaves two spots open, and those two spots will either go to two other posters who vow to help carry to Team Japan to victory, or if no one else wants to join us, then Tdigs and X can pick the other two people.

What do you guys think about that plan, if the leaders that be don't have a problem with it?

I'm not sure how this will hold over, but I want to make a suggestion here anyway.

It's obvious that X, Tdigs, and myself will be pushing Team Japan like no other. If there's someone else who wants to jump on the bandwagon, then please feel free. The more support, the better, obviously

But what I'm thinking is to put this team together is that X, you pick one person to be on the team, Tdigs picks one person to be on the team, and then I pick a person. That leaves two spots open, and those two spots will either go to two other posters who vow to help carry to Team Japan to victory, or if no one else wants to join us, then Tdigs and X can pick the other two people.

What do you guys think about that plan, if the leaders that be don't have a problem with it?

All right, man. If you want Hayabusa that bad, then I'll withdraw Tiger Mask from consideration. As long Misawa and Kobashi are on the team, then I'm not really concerned about who else makes it. But, there should only be one junior heavyweight on the team. If that happens to be Hayabusa, then so be it.

I'm with TDigs, so long as Misawa and Kobashi are on this team, I am a happy camper. That said, I think we absolutely 100% need to have Inoki and Rikidozan on this team as well. Hayabusa would make a find fifth member, no doubt about it, and I'd have no problem with him being on it.

Who the hell decides who's on what team anyways?

So I've since found out that there's only 5 people per team.

Here's my thoughts:

1. Mitsuharu Misawa. I daresay the greatest professional wrestler in the history of Japan - possibly the world. More 5 star matches than you can shake a stick at, an 8 time world champion (and Japan doesn't throw around championships, mind you), Misawa is an absolute Japanese legend. His immense popularity and list of incredible feuds - against Toshiaki Kawada, Kenta Kobashi, Akira Taue, Jun Akiyama, and Steve Williams - brought Japanese wrestling to new heights and created some of the best wrestling ever. He then founded what many, including myself, consider the bright light of modern Japanese wrestling - NOAH. Here, the greatest youth and true legends of wrestling unite, and the company has produced the best matches of modern Japan - Misawa a participant in many of them. In terms of his in ring skill, his feuds, and his contributions to wrestling in general, Misawa is on this team.

2. Toshiaki Kawada. Fuck you. Kawada is a god. He is one of the best in the history of professional wrestling, he has a laundry list of classics - with and against Kobashi and Misawa, in addition to long time partner Akira Taue - and is one half of the greatest tag team ever, the Holy Demon Army. He began his list of incredible matches with a partnership with Genichiro Tenryu against the Miracle Violence Connection of Terry Gordy and Steve Williams, and never looked back. He formed a legendary tag team with Misawa and feuded with Jumbo Tsuruta and his allies in a series of incredible matches. A few years later, he formed a tag team with Akira Taue - and in doing so, formed the world's greatest tag team. Their series of matches with Kenta Kobashi and Mitsuharu Misawa may very well be the greatest matches of all time. Together, Taue and Kawada had an amazing six tag title reigns in AJPW. During his first, short Triple Crown title reign, he had a 60 minute time limit draw against Kenta Kobashi that will go down as the greatest match of such length in history. Kawada went on to defeat Misawa multiple times for Triple Crown titles, but a short reign and a broken arm ended both of them quickly. Kawada then made history by daring to stay loyal to AJPW in the aftermath of the NOAH split, and made history again with an incredible match and victory over IWGP Champion Kensuke Sasaki. In 2003, he won the AJPW title a fifth time and began, I daresay, the greatest Triple Crown championship reign ever, with a record 10 defenses. The sheer emotion of him finally getting such a beautiful title reign is staggering. He still remains a major part of Japanese wrestling, working in HUSTLE, ZERO1, and NJPW, among other promotions. He is my personal favorite Japanese wrestler, and if not for the sheer damned legendary-ness of Misawa, would be my vote for captain.

I spent too much effort in that Kawada essay. Here's my other 3, with no explanation (they don't need it).

3. Kenta Kobashi
4. Antonio Inoki
5. Rikidozan?

I don't really believe in adding a little-known Jr. Heavyweight like Hayabusa here. Ultimately, there must be some consideration for getting votes outside of puroresu freaks, and Hayabusa won't get it. Tiger Mask, in principle, is a better choice. I would argue for Rikidozan above either of them.

The fact is, there's no real reason to add a Jr. Heavyweight to this team other than your scrambling to replace Kawada, which you just can't do. Kawada is a Grade A, Absolute, 100% Legend, and to deny it because of your personal feelings is childish and silly.

EDIT:

So I've just discovered this concept of "events".

For the Iron Man, Kawada is a great choice. He's got plenty of long matches, including the famous draw against Kobashi. Of course, Kobashi qualifies just as well, but either one works.

Submission match: This is where Inoki would shine like a motherfucker.

Falls Count Anywhere: I think this would be a place for Kawada to shine over Kobashi. Kawada's stiffness, brutality, and nastiness would make him a great fit for a hardcore, brawling environment, freeing Kobashi up for the Iron Man match. Kawada, however, presents a more well rounded front than a purely hardcore or purely brawler wrestler.

Ladder match: This is where I think we should, in fact, drop Rikidozan, and I daresay add Hayabusa. Earlier I said there was no reason to add Hayabusa - I lied. I didn't know the events when I posted that, but Hayabusa would shine like a motherfucker in a ladder match. Add him.

Survivor Series: Here's a great reason to put in Kawada - he's tag teamed with Misawa and Kobashi extensively, and even as a six man team. They'd present an awesome, solid core for the team, while Inoki and Hayabusa would provide support.

Battle royale: Will become a popularity contest, really, so why bother?

So, basically: Drop Riki, add Hayabusa.

Japan there is properly a lot of talents out there that I haven’t heard of or maybe not sure about.

This is my list of talents that I’ve know of or seen wrestling.

Dick Togo
Ebbesan
Gedo
Hayabusa
Hirai Nobukazu
Hirooki Goto
Hiroshi Tanashi
Ikuto Hidaka
Jado
Jimmy Yang
Jinsei Shinzaki
Jushin Liger
Kaz Hayashi
Kazushi Miyamoto
Keiji Mutoh aka Great Muta
Kijikata Ryuji
Kiyoshi
Kushinbo Kamen
Masato Tanaka
Men's Teioh
Minoru Tanaka
Nobukazu Hirai
Nosawa
Ryuji Hijikata
Shoichi Funaki
Taichi Ishikari
Taka Michinoku
Ultimo Dragon
Yokozuna
Yoshihiro Tajiri

There are a lot of the talents here that might not go well in the whole Wrestlezolympics '10 except for a few matches that are offer. I don’t feel like Japan will do to well in this match but you never know.

With the talent list I have I will bring the following stars to compete in this thing.

Iron man match

Hiroshi Tanashi or Taichi Ishikari

Submission Match

Hayabusa or Jushin Liger or Ultimo Dragon or Yoshihiro Tajiri

Falls Count Anywhere

Hayabusa or Great Muta or Masato Tanaka

Ladder Match

This match they can probably do much damage with so many athletic talent that can be in this match.

Hayabusa or Hiroshi Tanashi or Ikuto Hidaka or Jimmy Yang or Jinsei Shinzaki or Jushin Liger or Kaz Hayashi or Nosawa or Taichi Ishikari or Taka Michinoku or Ultimo Dragon or Yoshihiro Tajiri

5 vs 5

I believe either of these guys can make a great team.

Gedo, Hayabusa, Jado, Jimmy Yang, Jinsei Shinzaki, Jushin Liger, Kaz Hayashi, Great Muta, Taka Michinoku, Ultimo Dragon, Yokozuna, andYoshihiro Tajiri

As far as team captain goes there were only two names come to my mind. They are Hayabusa and Great Muta but the other names I’ve heard are good as well.

I see Japan being in the top four with Mexico, Canada, and USA.

The Final 15 Nominees:

Mitsuharu Misawa
Antonio Inoki
Rikidozan
Kenta Kobashi
Giant Baba
Genichiro Tenryu
Keiji Mutoh
Kensuke Sasaki
Hiroshi Hase
Tatsumi Fujinami
Yokozuna
Toshiaki Kawada
Hayabusa
Tiger Mask
Jushin "Thunder" Liger

1. Each poster may vote for THREE WRESTLERS.

2. If someone votes for more than three, all of their votes will be disqualified.

3. Think before voting. Once you hit the submit button, there is no changing.

4. The wrestler with the highest vote total will be named captain.

My votes here went to Misawa, Kobashi, and Kawada. There will be plenty of people voting for Inoki and probably Rikidozan, so I had to give my votes to both Kobashi and the underrated Kawada. Misawa was an obvious choice, and he should be the captain of this team. The man may pound for pound have been the greatest professional wrestler ever. Kobashi is another man I'd easily put in the top 10, if not even the top 5, the only two people who could match his track record are my two other choices, Misawa, and Kawada. JMT doesn't like Kawada, and he does have a reputation as a dick, but that means nothing to me and it shouldn't to you either. The man has had more five star matches than you could count on seven hands.

Tons of great choices here though, really you can't go wrong with any option. This is going to be the most entertaining round of voting for sure.

I went with Misawa, Hayabusa, and Jushin Liger. Misawa was indeed an obvious choice, the man was the best in Japan even going into older age. Hayabusa was a total badass before his injury, he fucking owned and I love going back into some of his old shit and watching it. Liger was another DUH choice. The man pretty much set the bar. Plus I like his masks..

My three picks were Jushin Liger, Hayabusa, and Keiji Mutoh. I would have also voted for Ultimo Dragon as well but he was a choice which is ashamed. I was hesitate to pik Muto because I figure a lot of people would vote for him just like they are with Mitsuharu Misawa, Antonio Inoki, and Kenta Kobashi. I hopeing that this team will consist of Mitsuharu Misawa, Antonio Inoki (really wanted Ultimo Dragon), Jushin Liger, Hayabusa, and Keiji Mutoh aka Great Muta. This would be looking like a great team for Japan. Can't wait for this thing to start.

I personally went with Misawa, Kobashi, and Mutoh. Misawa was a fairly obvious choice, and is my team captain. Kobashi just has brilliant matches.... There's no other way to it. He has, in total, twenty three five star matches. If that doesn't deserve credit, so God help me, i don't know what does.

Finally, I'm voting the man that brought Japanese wrestling to my attention, Mutoh/Muta. The guy's a brilliant worker, whether in the US or Japan. I'm not going to pretend to know hardcore Puro, but this guy simply makes my all Japan team. I was tempted to pick Tiger Mask, but sadly, he seems a lost cause. And alas, I have other motives....

Which, I'll address right now:

Anyone that decides to vote in Yokozuna, from here on out, is going to eternally get my red rep. I will make my last dying breath be at the besmirchment of your name on these forums. I am not one for idle threats.

Ahem.... that is all.

I went with Misawa, Liger, and Yoko. The reasons for the first 2 have already been explained by others, but I think that Yoko deserves some support here.

Most of the other guys on the team are smaller guys who will fly around and do some flippys, you need some strength on this team. Yoko is over 600 pounds, I'd say he's pretty strong and powerful.

He's also a big name. If you want team Japan to be successful, you need at least one guy that everyone knows on the team.

It's not like he was shit either, he's a 2 time WWF Champion and headlined 2 Wrestlemanias. Not many wrestlers can say that they've main evented the biggest wrestling show in the world, but Yoko can.

Just because he doesn't but on 5 star matches and isn't exaclty well built, that doesn't mean he isn't deserving to be on this team.

I went with Misawa, Liger, and Yoko. The reasons for the first 2 have already been explained by others, but I think that Yoko deserves some support here.

No. No he does not. Yokozuna is the worst choice on this entire list.

Most of the other guys on the team are smaller guys who will fly around and do some flippys, you need some strength on this team. Yoko is over 600 pounds, I'd say he's pretty strong and powerful.

You don't know very much about Japanese wrestling do you GD? Because Misawa, Kobashi, and Inoki are all heavyweights, and among the greatest heavyweights to ever wrestle.

He's also a big name. If you want team Japan to be successful, you need at least one guy that everyone knows on the team.

That's a piss poor reason. Anyone who doesn't know who Misawa, Kobashi, or Inoki are shouldn't even consider themselves a wrestling fan. At the very least everyone should know who Antonio Inoki is.

It's not like he was shit either, he's a 2 time WWF Champion and headlined 2 Wrestlemanias. Not many wrestlers can say that they've main evented the biggest wrestling show in the world, but Yoko can.

Yokozuna won 2 world titles during the single worst period in WWF history. The rest of Team Japan consists of countless World Titles in the most prestigious promotions in Japan. Inoki alone has drawn over 100,000 people to watch him wrestle. Which is a whole lot larger than the amount of people who went to Wrestlemania 9 and 10.

Just because he doesn't but on 5 star matches and isn't exaclty well built, that doesn't mean he isn't deserving to be on this team.

No, it's that he's the absolute worst choice on this entire list, and he isn't even fucking Japanese, he's Samoan. Yokozuna belongs nowhere near this team, and the only reason you're arguing for him is because everyone else is arguing against him. Leave the Japanese team to people who actually know about puroresu GD.

No. No he does not. Yokozuna is the worst choice on this entire list.

You were the one that said there wasn't a bad choice. Yoko is at least better than Hiroshi Hase, whoever the hell that is.

You don't know very much about Japanese wrestling do you GD? Because Misawa, Kobashi, and Inoki are all heavyweights, and among the greatest heavyweights to ever wrestle.

No, I don't, but I can assure you that none of those guys are 641 lbs.

That's a piss poor reason. Anyone who doesn't know who Misawa, Kobashi, or Inoki are shouldn't even consider themselves a wrestling fan. At the very least everyone should know who Antonio Inoki is.

I guess we should get rid of most of the members of this forum then.

Yokozuna won 2 world titles during the single worst period in WWF history. The rest of Team Japan consists of countless World Titles in the most prestigious promotions in Japan. Inoki alone has drawn over 100,000 people to watch him wrestle. Which is a whole lot larger than the amount of people who went to Wrestlemania 9 and 10.

Personally, I'd consider the WWF title bigger than any of those titles., even in the time period Yoko was in the WWF.

No, it's that he's the absolute worst choice on this entire list, and he isn't even fucking Japanese, he's Samoan. Yokozuna belongs nowhere near this team, and the only reason you're arguing for him is because everyone else is arguing against him. Leave the Japanese team to people who actually know abou puroresu GD.

No, I'm arguing for him because he's something different is the only one on the list to have a big impact on American wrestling. He had success in the ring, wasn't that bad given his size, and is just plain awesome. He was billed from Japan, so he counts and should get some more votes here.

You were the one that said there wasn't a bad choice. Yoko is at least better than Hiroshi Hase, whoever the hell that is.

Exactly my point. You don't even know who Hiroshi Hase is. I assure you, he is roughtly twenty times better than Yokozuna. He's a multiple time World Champion, an Olympic wrestler, has received multiple awards for being the best technical wrestler on the planet, and he was so popular that he's been able to successfully transition into the Japanese Parliament.

So we should vote for the most unhealthy and out of shape wrestler? That makes zero sense. Yokozuna would be out of breath by the time he got to the ring.

I assure you most members of this forum over the age of 12 know who Inoki is.

Personally, I'd consider the WWF title bigger than any of those titles., even in the time period Yoko was in the WWF.

I fucking hate that attitude. Why is the WWF title bigger GD? Because it's American? So xenophobic, Japanese wrestling has drawn larger crowds than the WWE could ever hope for in their wildest dreams, their World Titles have a history more prestigious than the WWF title could ever hope and dream for.

No, I'm arguing for him because he's something different is the only one on the list to have a big impact on American wrestling. He had success in the ring, wasn't that bad given his size, and is just plain awesome. He was billed from Japan, so he counts and should get some more votes here.

Inoki had a far, far larger impact on American wrestling. The man defeated Hulk Hogan numerous times, cleanly. He's arguably the single most popular wrestler this planet has ever seen.

Yokozuna does not deserve anyones vote. Not for any round of this competition. I implore you to vote for anyone BUT Yokozuna.

Rikidozan- The man who brought pro wrestling to Main stream Japan so the other 2 I voted for could popularize it.

Antonio Inoki- The nab every one associates with Japanese wrestling. He founded one of the biggest Japanese wrestling promotions ever in NJPW. HE took what Rikidozan started and ran with it to the finish line.

Giant Baba- Another Legend of Japanese wrestling that I feel doesn't get enough love. A friend of Inoki's he started AJPW which is also still running today.

Without these three men everoyone else on the list wouldn't be at the level they are now and i doubt we'd have a Team Japan at all

Why, because many Americans fans haven't heard of him. GD? I'm not much of a puro mark, and even I know Hase. And I can tell you this, Hase never had to be fucking carried in any of his matches, a la Yokozuna. Yokozuna was easily the worst champion of the modern era. There's no quality of his reigns that have any saving grace, whatsoever.

Great point, GD. We should invite Haystacks Calhoun, Giant Haystacks, and Big Daddy V along for the journey. Because, you know, every team needs a shit wrestler that will be exhausted by the opening bell.

And if you're going to argue their spot in the Battle Royal, know that having that large of a guy is going to automatically make that guy a target for the entire team. Wrestler's aren't idiots, GD. They know it behooves them to work together to get the fat guy out. It happens in every Royal Rumble.

You mean the spammers, and the fans that just don't know much about wrestling outside of America?

Yeah, I agree. Maybe you should take their leave.

Again, this sentence is wrong, on so many levels. First of all, even the WWE smarks will tell you that wrestling outside the WWE is important. Just because the WWE is the biggest brand in our country, doesn't make it the best. Hulk Hogan is on record of calling the WWE title a toy in Japan. The best WWE Champion refers to the WWE title as a novelty. That should tell you how much it's regarded outside of America.

Second, if you're going to argue the history of the title, The NWA Title > The WWE Title, in terms of historical significance.

Wow..... GD, I used to think way more of you. Giant Baba had more significance in US Wrestling than Yokozuna. I'd argue Jushin Thunder Liger has more significance in American wrestling. And certainly, the Great Muta has, as well.

Why don't you just step aside, and let the true fans of Japanese wrestling settle this.

Why, because many Americans fans haven't heard of him. GD? I'm not much of a puro mark, and even I know Hase. And I can tell you this, Hase never had to be fucking carried in any of his matches, a la Yokozuna. Yokozuna was easily the worst champion of the modern era. There's no quality of his reigns that have any saving grace, whatsoever.

What the hell does it matter whether or not he's been carried in his matches.

Great point, GD. We should invite Haystacks Calhoun, Giant Haystacks, and Big Daddy V along for the journey. Because, you know, every team needs a shit wrestler that will be exhausted by the opening bell.

Giant Haystacks was pretty solid actually and the fat heel character is a very interesting one that needs to be used more, Sid made a good thread about it recently.

And if you're going to argue their spot in the Battle Royal, know that having that large of a guy is going to automatically make that guy a target for the entire team. Wrestler's aren't idiots, GD. They know it behooves them to work together to get the fat guy out. It happens in every Royal Rumble.

I wasn't, but I think that Yoko would be good in the battle royal. He won a Royal Rumble you know.

You mean the spammers, and the fans that just don't know much about wrestling outside of America?

Yeah, I agree. Maybe you should take their leave.

Guess I should leave then.

Again, this sentence is wrong, on so many levels. First of all, even the WWE smarks will tell you that wrestling outside the WWE is important. Just because the WWE is the biggest brand in our country, doesn't make it the best. Hulk Hogan is on record of calling the WWE title a toy in Japan. The best WWE Champion refers to the WWE title as a novelty. That should tell you how much it's regarded outside of America.

Maybe it isn't technically better, but I personally hold it higher than other titles.

Second, if you're going to argue the history of the title, The NWA Title > The WWE Title, in terms of historical significance.

Ya, the NWA Title is pretty big at the moment.

Wow..... GD, I used to think way more of you.

Well, I'm crushed, don't know what I'm going to do with myself now. Probably won't bother coming back.

Giant Baba had more significance in US Wrestling than Yokozuna.

What did he do, wrestler Ric Flair a few times or something? I guess I could look it up, but I'm sure you'll tell me.

I'd argue Jushin Thunder Liger has more significance in American wrestling.

Ya, losing to Juventd and facing Samoa Joe at BFG, great. I did vote Liger anyway though.

And certainly, the Great Muta has, as well.

Yep, Muta is awesome, I think he should make this team, but I prefer Yoko.

Why don't you just step aside, and let the true fans of Japanese wrestling settle this.

Because I like Yoko I'm not a true fan? Darn.

Yoko may not be the "best" wrestler on this list as a lot of these guys have been extremely successful and entertaining, but personally, I'd love Yoko to make this team. Is is just ignorance making me say this, maybe, but Yoko isn't complete shit as all of you are saying and it is more than reasonable for him to make this team.

Well, Japan is now officially handicapped. Can supporters of Japan on this forum refrain from using Yokozuna except for the Battle Royal, or in case there's a banzai-dropping or Nathan's hot dog-eating contest?

Yeah I'm extremely pissed about Yoko getting into this tournament. Mainly because several people voted for him for the sole purpose of pissing off several of us who didn't want him anywhere near this team. Thanks trolls, way to make something that's supposed to be fun into a drama fest.

I concur, Yoko should only be used in a Battle Royale, he'd be useless everywhere else.

I don't see what's so wrong about having Yoko on the team. He'll be used the least out of everyone, and that'll be in the battle royal, which is just like the Royal Rumble, which he won. It's not like Funaki was voted on this team or something

I don't see what's so wrong about having Yoko on the team. He'll be used the least out of everyone, and that'll be in the battle royal, which is just like the Royal Rumble, which he won. It's not like Funaki was voted on this team or something

What's so wrong about having him on this team, besides the fact that he isn't Japanese, nor has he ever even wrestled in Japan, is that he was literally the single worst option on the entire poll. Every single other person on this poll would have been a better choice and would have helped this team more.

But no, you guys don't know who half of these people are because they've never wrestled for Vince McMahon, so you immediately vote for the one guy who did.

Actually, I know who all but 4 of them are. I've seen stuff from all of the others, albeit it limited. Sure, I may have voted for Yoko in part because he was the name I was familiar with, but is that such a crime?

I actually see this as a positive for team Japan. The majority of the people on this forum will know Yokozuna a lot better then pretty much everyone else on the Japanese team.

Team Japan also has guys ready for the iron man, submission, ladder, and falls count anywhere matches, so Yoko will only be used in the battle royal and survivor series matches. He won the 1993 royal rumble eliminating 7 guys and very few men were able to pin him in his prime.

Reactions: gd
Anyone that decides to vote in Yokozuna, from here on out, is going to eternally get my red rep. I will make my last dying breath be at the besmirchment of your name on these forums. I am not one for idle threats.

Ahem.... that is all.

I'd like to now say that, ahem:

Anyone receiving red rep from Tenta for voting for Yoko may PM me. I will restore the lost rep points and then red rep Tenta for a loss of 50.

Trying to strong arm people into voting for someone by using fear tactics instead of the merit's of the competitors? Shame on you, you're better than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back