[Official] Jushin Liger To The Sweet 16 Campaign HQ

Apologies for not noticing the I behind Tiger Mask. But, what does Satoru Sayama have to his name besides a couple of great matches with Dynamite Kid in the early 80s? If you would have said Tiger Mask II, I would have been a little more convinced, as I don't think Liger can compare to Misawa.

Well I've come round to the fact that you actually know your stuff, so have some rep and a pat on the back. If you're hounding Wikipedia then I want them back. :p

As for why I picked the first Satoru over all of the others it's of three reasons.

Firstly, because he's the only one who has a gimmick based directly on an animated series. Those who fol owed TMII are based as much off of the Tiger Mask lineage as they are the animated series.

Secondly, he's the best example of of somebody who didn't need the gimmick. Satoru was already over, and his initial popularity actually took a hit when he debuted the gimmick on account of its childish nature. It was the sequence of matches with Dynamite Kid that won the fans back over - I apparently didn't feel the need to finish that sentence at the time

Lastly, and probably most controversially, in terms of in ring ability I firmly believe Satoru Sayama to be the best (by quite a long way as matter of fact, although I am a fan of number 4). If I were to compile a list of the best in ring technicians, he'd be in the top ten. He has training credentials that can only be rivled by Masahiro Chono, and I frequently refer to him as the 'missing link' between the ond and new style technical wrestling.

Now, to move onwards, I'm going to gloss over Meltzar, because I wasn't paying attention to him at the time. I know that these days his coverage of Japan absolute shit, and based entirely on second hand information regarding whatever names he thinks people have heard of (perpetuating the myth that Kenta and Liger and the two biggest names in Japan).

American wrestling had a bad stigma at the time (what am I talking about 'at the time', it still does for the most part) and a lot of guys don't want to go, but as for Liger being asked for, I think it's a very strong indication of the fact that he was the Junior Heavyweight Champion at the time. I can't imagine WCW did a particularly vast amount of homework. They just scanned the title history and read a couple of issues of WON, and recruited the highest profile name that they could get.
Finally, to wrap this point up (and I'll confess that I'm being both presumptive and cynical here) I'll mention that fact that WCW quite possibly liked the look of Liger because he wore a a crazy ass hat). Sad. But quite likely true.

(As an aside, if this were a contest of funky ring attire, Liger would be my number two guy, just above Sting and Just below Muta).

As for the Liger show, my 'slightly more conventional nerd' housemate informs me that it was quite a big deal at the time. It was indeed only a couple of series, but it penetrated popular culture (rather like Death Note today). Obviously you are correct in saying that it didn't keep him over for all those years (constantly being given title reigns did that) but I do believe that it got him into the upper echelons. Japan (especially then) has a rock solid glass sealing, and if you don't brake through quickly, then odds are you're not going to. Similarly, once you do get the status of a main event guy, you tend to keep it even when you start to suck (which is one of the reasons that NOAH has got its self into a mess).

To close out, I really must stress again that Liger was a good wrestler. But his success is better attributed to his international status and popular gimmick that to his actual in ring ability, which is quite limited in comparison to other Japanese cruiser weights.

Insidently, did you type Misawa when you meant Sayama in your opening statement, or did I miss something?

Fellow Liger Comrades,

Thank you for getting our man past Giant Gonzalez. Liger has huge tasks ahead of him. In order to reach the Sweet 16, he will have to beat Batista, and, in all likelihood, both Shawn Michaels and Brock Lesnar.

I will be fighting the good fight until the end, but the struggle hasn't even begun yet. Yes, I know some of you may even think him getting past Batista will be impossible, but I am going to try my damnedest to get him past. I will more than likely have to pull out all the big guns to make sure he gets past the next round. But, know that you are in the right in supporting Liger. And, should he lose, I will be the only one to blame, and I will feel sorry for letting all of you down. Now, let's go and get some rest, as we will need it.

Yeah, we have to get him past that worthless piece of shit Batista, but after that, he doesn't stand a chance.

All right, it is almost time for Liger's second-round match-up...thanks for the support everyone.

Also, Jake: I wanted to correct some false information that I gave you when we debated Liger vs. El Gigante. Liger did transition from a high-flying style to a more mat-based style, but it was because of a sever ankle injury, not because of a brain tumor. It was found out that he had a brain tumor, but it turned out to be benign and it wasn't found until he had already transitioned into his second style of wrestling.

So, apologies for the false information, although something tells me you won't care. But, just in case you told your daughter or your tattooist that Jushin Liger once had a debilitating and malignant brain tumor, I just want to let you know that you can blame it on me when you have to tell them the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back